The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Illustro

Wet-tolerant grafting stock...

Hey all, I need a cactus root-stock which will thrive in high precipitation (ca. 1200 mm p.a.) in zone 10; I'm thinking along the lines of Cereus spp. or short-spined Peruvian torch...any suggestions/recommendations?

im thinking pereopskis, u can root them in water and have them permanently in trays of water, so should be adequate, if not a little narrow

• Like 2

I wonder if PC pach can take more water than pereskies... or denser soil perhaps

but pereskies can stay wet if the soil is right... and what Naja said

i've got bunches of them just sitting in cups of water/kelp for months with

large clumps of roots ... they already made harvestable tips and I haven't even

planted them lol

I have grown some pereskies in clay with sand and perlite

but I finally had one get rot at the base, but thats just one out of hundreds, but in all sorts of soil types

maybe I put too much clay in that one... I don't even know for sure what soil I just grabbed a scoop from a vacant pot

I keep my hylocereus pretty wet but none grafted just hylocereus on their own
I don't know about selinicereus but maybe if someone can chime in I think they are similar to hylocereus

Edited by Spine Collector

iv drowned a few pach stocks with to much water. its never been salvageable.

You can grow Pereskiopsis like water plants...had them in a bucket of water for a year and they thrived! Ecuadorian Trichos take a lot of wetness but i guess Peres play in a diffrent league. I guess Trichiocereus Candicans is a pretty reliable Stock as well as it takes a lot of cold.

• Like 1

Not all tricho's are wet tolerant. Bridgedsii is usually the first one to rot. Patchanoii go next,.... Peruvianus seems to be the most humidity & wet tolerant of them all.

Cerues are definatey more tolerant. They should be able to withstand 1200 mm in the sub tropics and tropics.

Hylocerues is a definate winner when it comes to humidity and or lots of percipitation.

I think it might just be a tad too cold for Pereskiopsis here, they don't seem to grow so fast outside.

You can grow Pereskiopsis like water plants...had them in a bucket of water for a year and they thrived! Ecuadorian Trichos take a lot of wetness but i guess Peres play in a diffrent league. I guess Trichiocereus Candicans is a pretty reliable Stock as well as it takes a lot of cold.

Ahh yes! Great point! Tropical Trichos :D I'll have to give that some more research.

Not all tricho's are wet tolerant. Bridgedsii is usually the first one to rot. Patchanoii go next,.... Peruvianus seems to be the most humidity & wet tolerant of them all.

Cerues are definatey more tolerant. They should be able to withstand 1200 mm in the sub tropics and tropics.

Hylocerues is a definate winner when it comes to humidity and or lots of percipitation.

There's a freekin huge Cereus in my hometown, growing in peat soils near a bog. Had to do a second take when I first saw it.