The Corroboree
cornilius maximus

Wanted Piper methysticum

You have a talking turkey? :huh:

• Like 1

very difficult to grow, do you have a glasshouse?

plants even died, in the cairns area...

very difficult to grow, do you have a glasshouse?

plants even died, in the cairns area...

ummmm?? mine r doin fine<> i live on the suunycoast!! its just them fuken bugs i am @ war with !!

• Like 4

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?app=galleryℑ=315

above a link to kava plant I used to have... and I gave away many cuttings of it in the past.

it's my believe that, many kava plants now get sold, already with a deadly disease attached, which will break out if, the conditions are right.

yours, looks healthy though.

that look liked a very happi plant ph??? do u know what sorta diseases they carry?? i know with my brugmansias if i do cuttings they will carry diseases but with seed they dont>>>>>><<

Yeah - I had one quite similar to PHs

Sadly it died a couple of years ago. They do well for a while in the subtropics - then die suddenly. I think tropical conditions are the answer. Global warming might yet help us subtropical dwellers..

I am not sure, what disease, they might carry internaly, but mindperformer, was once of this opinon and I agree.

I think, they mostly die of fusarium and/or phytophora, you would know them from your avo farm.

as tarenna says, they look perfect one day, and are dead the next.

the plant looks wilted, but the pot has ample moisture, I believe colloquially, the disease is called wilting disease.

the black awa kava, we have, was imported legaly, by steven prowse, and he runs his nursery, in the cairns area.

he told me, that he gave up on kava, because she was so fuzzy to grow, and this even in cairns.

but bullit, you will like this, this person, changed from kava grower to BRUGMANSIA AND DATURA grower!!

kava does not produce seed, so unfortunately, your trick, with the sexual propagation, will not work.

diseases which live inside the plant can be removed, by means of tissue culture, because the disease, is a little bit slower, than the growing tip of the plant in question.

having said this, I am pretty sure, that many years ago, our darklight, probagated some black awa, via meristem culture.

if this is correct, than the kava plant I had, was disease free.

but disease free, unfortunately still will not mean, success, because the fusarium & phytophora are soil born.

the chance of an outbreak, of those diseases, can be lessend, by a few things:

excellent drainage,

no over watering,

solarisation.

• Like 1

Hi, I bought one about 3 yrs ago. At first it was a little slow but all of a sudden it took off and pretty soon it filled out a 300mm pot to the point of being pot bound. It had an insatiable thirst and needed to be watered every day in full sun.

Just when I was about to divide it into several pots the bloody thing karked it all except one stem approx. 450mm long which is still living now. If I was to cut this stem off and lay it horizontally in soil, will it root from each of it's 11 nodes? Cheers.

If it is successful and strikes PH, I will give you a couple of plants if you don't find anything in the meanwhile.

weirdo, I overworked myselfe today, so I have to stop now and keep it short.

I think, in the link above, is a post by mauve, which gives a link, to a file, which tells you how to probagate kava (one node cuttings bedded onto sphagnum moss). don't put down a 11 node cutting, I am scared of one node cuttings, maybe you are as well, so make them at least 2 node cuttings.