The Corroboree
mimzy

Staying off the radar

I kinda think there's a lot of unwarranted paranoia surrounding the idea that were being tracked. its not as if there's a government agent for every civilian on the net. its autonomous computer programs that are doing the work, most of the information collected would never actually be read by another human until the little flag goes up to say it needs a closer look.

.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UU2_0G1nnHY

so just in reading this 1 forum both google and facebook were tracking me......indicated by the little icon drop down thingy .................just gotta figure out how disconnect works.........should read the instructions ...I guess :unsure:

Abby Martin talks about the media gag order that was just placed on investigative journalist Barrett Brown.

http://freebarrettbrown.org/supporters/

“In an era where bankers are given a pass on epic levels of fraud and high government officials are protected even after publicly confessing to ordering torture, the selective and vindictive prosecution of an investigative journalist li............................................" RT

Edited by Dreamwalker
  • Like 1

/

Edited by whitewind
  • Like 1

and the rules will most certainly continue to change...........and it certainly won't be in the interest of the common soul..................

Ghostery sells information to ad corporations. Disconnect (at the moment) is a better option.

Unfortunately Ad Block Plus also sells information to advertisers which led to several development forks. I'd recommend Adblock Edge under Firefox and regular Adblock under Chrome.

Whoami, yes whoareyou bursting onto the forums as if you'd been living here all along? I disagree. If you'd been alert you would realise that the US government has been attempting to track, store and monitor EVERYTHING on the internet, EVERYWHERE. And computer algorithms are so much better at flagging potential "problems", then the human agent kicks in.

Ghostery is awesome, it even seems to do the work of Adblock before Adblock kicks in. And it does so much more.

http://prism-break.org/

Lists of alternative software and operating systems to the proprietary brands (Windows, Apple, Android, etc.)

Also tells you the drawbacks if any. Easy to use list, even has well-used functions like maps and search engines that don't track you.

Google is everywhere, it even tracks this forum here. While it serves a purpose (of sorts) that purpose is aligned to and misused by the military industrial complex, so should be regarded with the deepest of suspicion and care.

But hey, if you've nothing to hide, there's always the chance that the rules will change, they already have you tagged, and you have but minutes to escape.

How's that for Stalinist Russia or Nazi Germany?

what the fuck are you talking about, that's exactly what I said. its computer programs doing the work!! it should be taken as a given that they're tracking and monitoring every single little thing you do!!!

but so what if they know everything you do?? what does it matter if it sits on some hard drive fir 5 years and no one ever fucking reads it?? what's the issue with that?? theyve got the same info on billions of other people in the world

that's why you have to be more paranoid than its worth to stress so much about 'oh noes they've got my info!'

and bursting onto these forums as if is been here all along, yes, sorry, I didn't realise you had to work your way up the little hierarchy. the egos on some of you cunts drives me to ignore how highly you place yourselves on the fucking internet.

so I'm sorry, I didn't mean to intrude on your little club you got going. I was under the impression all people had a right to grow any plant they wanted without first needing the approval of some elitist fuckheads on a forum who think they're the kings of the shit.

Edited by whoami

Hey Whoami take it easy mate. I can understand your frustration with the comment that Whitewind made and I had thought we had got past treating new people as if they don't belong.

To make it clear I think Whitewinds comment was totally out of line and it wasn't that long ago that I would have considered him a new kid on the block so I don't get why he thinks he can treat you like that.

I would hope you can get past this and continue to be an active member of this great place.

Cheers

Got

• Like 2

Sorry double post

Edited by GoOnThen

Ok I didn't do this. It reposted my unedited double post. :wacko:

Edited by GoOnThen

yes, sorry about the use of language. iv now encountered three different users here who have felt the need to knock me back. I'm sorry if I'm a bit full on.

I will tell anyone, I'm definitely not the most knowledgeable or most experienced person here when it comes to gardening and ethnobotany. I'm not trying to fool anyone. but I do know some things and it seems, like many other groups and forums, online or not, as soon as you present something that conflicts with the general consensus, you are targeted and alienated.

hate to break it to some people here but no one owns the concept of ethnobotany or shamanism. no one owns the concept of extracting and refining. no matter how good you think you are at what you do, chances are there will always be someone out there that can do it ten times better, and not all of them need to put that persona on the internet so other people can stroke their egos telling them how good they are.

growing plants is something you do its not who you are!!!

• Like 2

Okay, so Tor's recent breaches have been widely discussed.

What about i2p? Looked into the Tails OS?

Pfftt Adblock..... install NoScript!!!

There's always VPN... combine that with Tails and it's utilization of Tor, i2p and privoxy... also utilising VM's and spoofing mac address, and for the icing on the cake "DON'T USE YOUR OWN PUBLIC IP". There are plenty of wireless APs out there just asking for you to break into em so you can do whatever you need to do.

Besides that there are some basic practices which will help reduce chances of getting hacked:

*Keep your ports tight - don't have more open than required. This goes for your router and your hosts. Firewall that shit up.

*Use different passwords for different accounts and make them strong (that's letters, numbers and symbols and no words). People seem to use the same passwords, which means that if somebody gets one they get it all.

*Firefox with private browsing, no 3rd party cookies and no script is a good idea.

*Use pubkeys where possible and especially for SSH or remote connections (disable root login).

*Don't use WPS on wireless AP's - vulnerable as all hell and makes your strong WPA2 passphrase useless if you have it enabled.

*Use a MAC address filter for your wireless.. might be a pain having to add the address every time a new person wants to use your wireless but best way to keep it locked down. Once a hacker has penetrated your internal network it's game over. On that note if your router's user and pass is still admin admin your just making it too easy for somebody to own your shit if he breaks your wireless key.

*Keep your scanners up to date... in regards to rootkits being discussed earlier these packages in Linux will help you keep on top:

chkrootkit - rootkit detector
rkhunter - rootkit, backdoor, sniffer and exploit scanner
*Learn how to use a vulnerability scanner or something - you don't have learn how to hack but you can at least find out if there are holes in your setup.
*Don't send passwords as plain text (i.e. over http). Don't keep passwords in plain text written on a web account.
*Always verify the SSL cert before you login to accounts... an easy MITM involves dropping the connection down to just http so your password gets sent as plain text and sniffed. This especially applies to public networks.
Could go on but I'll stop there.
  • Like 2

EDIT: double post

Edited by whitewind

what the fuck are you talking about, that's exactly what I said. its computer programs doing the work!! it should be taken as a given that they're tracking and monitoring every single little thing you do!!!

but so what if they know everything you do?? what does it matter if it sits on some hard drive fir 5 years and no one ever fucking reads it?? what's the issue with that?? theyve got the same info on billions of other people in the world

that's why you have to be more paranoid than its worth to stress so much about 'oh noes they've got my info!'

and bursting onto these forums as if is been here all along, yes, sorry, I didn't realise you had to work your way up the little hierarchy. the egos on some of you cunts drives me to ignore how highly you place yourselves on the fucking internet.

so I'm sorry, I didn't mean to intrude on your little club you got going. I was under the impression all people had a right to grow any plant they wanted without first needing the approval of some elitist fuckheads on a forum who think they're the kings of the shit.

I think you misunderstood me, but I was mistaken anyway, I thought you were someone else who had already been banned and were using your name as a joke to see who would spot it. I'm pretty sure I'm wrong, so apologies.

I think there is every reason to be concerned about storing data unrequested and unwanted, even if unused. However, there is no reason to suggest that that data is unused or unlooked at. Why collect it if it's not to be used? I think that your outrage at me would be better directed at those who are silently collecting your information without your knowledge. You have absolutely no idea if that data is merely "stored" - what evidence do you have for this? Absolutely none.

I strongly suspect that data is being run through software all the time, to look for certain indicators and to catalogue everyone into various groups. eg environmentalism, fascism, anarchy, religious affiliation, searches, what forums you frequent, everything. It is there on tap if they want to look at it in greater detail, should you fit a profile they decide they don't like. This is a form of fascism, control freakery that you might not understand but surely exists. All that information will be readily at hand, catalogued and ordered should things not go their way. Is their way your way? Is it? Do they know that already?

I am extremely worried about what they might do with our information. Extremely.

Before I joined this forum I had no idea of any law changes, how do they expect people to follow new laws when they don't mail us the information about the new laws? I don't read newspapers or watch news of any sort so shouldn't the Government have to mail out the details of new laws?

Edited by Leaves

Before I joined this forum I had no idea of any law changes, how do they expect people to follow new laws when they don't mail us the information about the new laws? I don't read newspapers or watch news of any sort so shouldn't the Government have to mail out the details of new laws?

As far as I am aware Leaves, the owness is on you to know the law and not break it.

The problem as a society we now expect to be able to use information technology with no understanding of how it works.

Now we're all are up in arms that people are doing shit with our information.

This is the cost of us becoming complacent.

The problem as a society we now expect to be able to use information technology with no understanding of how it works.

Okay, okay I get it :) hehe

• Like 1

Look at this Four Corners report from last night for a pretty thorough look into the issues of privacy and information gathering if you are interested:

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2013/09/09/3842009.htm

Just watched this, thank you! I figured it's definitely worth sharing again, and gives credit to the ABC where I never thought it would be due. It's sad how investigative journalism is rapidly dying and being replaced with the "dark side"... that is, journalists cannot make money doing journalism and instead are working for public relation firms or departments, spinning the news to make it easier for the few remaining "investigative journalists" who aren't paid anything, to report the news written by the spinsters. Anyways, off topic again. :)

I found it interesting listening to the above documentary that the average car in NSW has been tracked 37 times by the P. It's such a shame that without even being aware, people are stalked by government agencies. They do not require permission to access your metadata which is collected en-masse.

How bizarre that even Australia Post is included on that list (flashed briefly in the above doc) of privileged Stazi-like institutions. Next time you pick up a parcel at the post office, take a look at their hand held computer, the one with the digital signing pad. There is a camera in the top, and they seem to point it at your face before handing it over to you to sign. I suggest loudly asking if it's a camera so that everyone in line can hear you. Yes, it is a camera, I asked. What it's for I'm sure Australia Post would never tell the truth about.

Who gave bureaucracy the power to maintain itself whatsoever the cost. Why is the freedom of the masses less important than the jobs of those who are supposed to serve us. The balance of freedom has spontaneously undergone a massive and rapid "tip" towards non-existence, at least with respect to whether or not we're watched. The old psychological conundrum is after all, that when you're aware of being watched you change your behavior, and this includes reluctance to voice your opinion or advance thought. Like I said previously, we seem to never regain the full freedoms we long expected and took for granted. At least as long as the current status quo is maintained, and we're in deep with our detached consumerist lifestyles that so far, unless nature intervenes nothing will change for a long time. If we never gain more freedom but continuously have it etched away like an out of control dentist, soon we won't be able to chew our own food, so to speak, exactly where the psychotic system wants us to be, force fed willingly.

BTW for another good doc look up "Facebook Follies" by the CBC. It's a couple years old but also served as a warning about how powerful profiling was even two years ago before 90% of the data produced through human online context existed. Deciphering social insurance numbers. Determining who intends to break the law in advance. Facial recognition is massive and will only become more exploited. Roadside cameras are certainly capable of this already. Maybe think twice about posting pictures of your children online - they may grow to despise you in the future for compromising their privacy from an early age.

http://www.cbc.ca/doczone/episode/facebook-follies.html

Haha, just noticed both doc's were made by guys named Geoff. People with that name must be antidisestablishmentariasts by default - or at least I'm sure Google/NSA would agree.

• Like 1