The Corroboree
mimzy

Staying off the radar

Just a quick one, I use a Keyscrambler to protect against keyloggers.

Try changing your default search engine to Duckduckgo instead of Google. Make it a new habit, break the addiction and just quick Google - cold turkey.

• Like 2

Thanks for the input everyone. Here's a quick summary of what you can do to protect your anonymity...

1.) Lets face it, if the popo has gone to effort of installing a key logger on your computer... you're up shit creek anyway, but a key scrambling program like QFX may slow them down.

2.) Use Tor to protect your IP. Be careful of running JavaScript and other plug-ins that may leak your IP. Only access encrypted sites, the exit node in a Tor network may be the popo monitoring your data.

3.) If you are really doing something naughty, don't trust your operating system. Use Tails or some other self contained operating system booted from a usb or cd.

4.) Protect your communications; use encryptions like one-time pad to protect your message, then a pastebin to temporarily store your message.

5.) Avoid Facebook, Google, they collect enormous amounts of data on you. Other search engines like DuckDuckGo offer anonymous searching.

Obviously the level of anonymity you need depends on what you want to do/ how paranoid you are, but with increasing monitoring of internet traffic by government and corporations these measures seem like a good idea, if nothing else but a big fuckyou to big brother.

• Like 2

i listen to a security podcast. they suggest Bitmessage as a way to anonymously communicate.

Thanks Mimzy for your re-cap. Do you have any ideas of your own?

Regarding voice communications...

There was a time when Skype was an encrypted and trusted communication method, or blackberry. But a few years ago Microsoft purchased Skype and they soon filed for a patent on a new technology to screen conversations in digital telephone calls for hot-words. Owning the rights to screening digital telephone calls will profit MS massively, since the power of such tools are too great for any government to resist and it's basically free money from taxpayers with politicians and lobbyists being the devils advocates. Now land lines are 100% digital as well, which makes you wonder if there will ever be a time again in the future where we free and innocent people, gain more freedom rather than continually allow it to diminish into an infinite abyss.

In another 5-10 years this discussion will be ancient history and we'll be more complacent with ubiquitous road side cameras, facial recognition ads via facebook, and ever more fearful of identity theft and more willing to again give up more freedoms. Then the discussion will be about the ethics of swarms of nano-drones (yes, they already exist) and whether or not your facebook/internet browsing habits make you guilty of "crimes" you've never committed. After all, based on facebook profiles of university students in the US, researchers were able to predict social security numbers. Data and profiling is huge. Since it's seemingly impossible to quit using a telephone or browsing the internet, unless you're Richard Branson. Try to generalize your internet searches. It's tough to do since 30% of search queries have never been done before.

Anyways, '1984' was here years ago and it's far more concerning than whether someone has hijacked your computer for passwords and such. The power of data mining hasn't even been fully utilized yet - we're only in the early phases of collecting data whilst Moores law catches up, and state owned supercomputers are advanced. Once they own the data, our data - the "context" of trillions of human experiences being puked online, supercomputers will finally begin to become sentient rather than as retarded as a rat. Current supercomputers match our neurological potential but lack the "context" of experiences, to truly be intelligent, but thankful to Facebook we're mindlessly volunteering all the context they need. What's the motivation... just another tool in their chest.

Anyways, this is far out of left field and no longer relevant to today. So if you want to stay off the radar, just KISS (keep it simple stew) - just stay off the radar! there's not much else to ask about. The internet and freedom are finished.

• Like 4

I have a lot of ideas that aren't really practical, but could be quite good simply because most people wouldn't expect them.

One idea is to use image stenography. There are sites like mozaiq.org that allow you to embed a message within an image. If you have the password, the message can be revealed, but otherwise the image appears normally. The benefit of using this type of encryption is that it doesn't look like an encrypted message on face value, so its highly unlikely any suspicion would be aroused.Try it out for yourself, its pretty cool!

• Like 2

staying off the radar, is not to do anything dodgy on it, pretty easy, when you grow cactus as a hobby and other leafy plants that are cool to grow eat and plant out.

• Like 4

from the Snowden Leaks.... $52 Billion Intelligence Budget, Reveals “Offensive Cyber Operations”...............per year!.....................

http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/29/snowden-leaks-52-billion-intelligence-budget-reveals-offensive-cyber-operations/

Snowden Gets Whistleblower Award in Germany.......................................

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/snowden-gets-whistleblower-award-in-germany/483527.html

Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom accused New Zealand police of selectively applying the law Friday after they opted not to prosecute intelligence officials who illegally spied on him.

1x1.gif Explore further: NZ court backs Dotcom's right to sue spy agency

http://phys.org/news/2013-08-kim-dotcom-blasts-zealand-police.html

Edited by Dreamwalker

Report: US military cracked most online encryption (Update)

http://phys.org/news/2013-09-british-spy-agencies-web-encryption.html

London offices to destroy hard drives containing leaked information. "You've had your debate," one UK official told him. "There's no need to write any more."

1x1.gif Explore further: Facebook in fresh privacy row with new policy

Edited by Dreamwalker

New study shows owning 2+ control routers (and government agencies own many) can be used to reveal a Tor users real IP in about 1 day. In fact you may be painting a big target on your back just using Tor. See below article.

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/tor-is-less-anonymous-than-you-think

You can't outdo government agencies when it comes to trying to encrypt, hide messages, hide location, etc. They've had all of this down for a LONG time.

Honestly if you want to stay off the radar, stop trying to stay off the radar. It's that simple. You draw attention to yourself by acting like you have something to hide (like using TOR, encrypted e-mails, etc.).

If they notice you and want to get you, lol.... they're going to get you. :rolleyes:

Edited by Glass Roots

thats a bit defeatist Glass :)

it is an arms race.......and it probably is impossible to stay one step ahead......not to mention a huge time waster............personally I'd rather be in the garden than cleaning up my machine (even though it totally needs it....jam jam jam) just so some facist regime ie (the us and all its puppet states) or blood sucking corperate can't build a misc. file on me to be referenced at their will...............and used and abused............they can blackmail anyone............for any reason.....be it your so called leaders or your granny...........creating mis -info may be your best protection...........give them loads of almost correct info to the totally bizare..........fill them fill of loads of dribble...............the sad part is ......as we are all being watched............we begin to self censor our selfs................and so lose our fredom of speach................stolen by the criminal elites................or are we just bending over and taking it where the sun don't shine........?

just one thing to add.........as a matter of protest!

hit them where it hurts

stop using usa services

don't use their search engines

don't use theri social media

don't use their email providers

stay away from them!

there has been heaps of news reports stating their economy will lose billions ....................thanks to our real hero Snowdon..................people and companies are chossing alternatives..........if we all try to make the effort............the message will be heard........................

• Like 1

No offence taken Paradox (well actually some offence taken). Everyone should be concerned about who might be on the other end of user accounts. I am- hence this thread. Baseless accusations however are not helpful and somewhat hurtful. Whilst I have not made many posts, I have been a user here for a while. I choose read threads more than participate in them because I don't have much experience, and if that is akin to being a cop, then this really isn't the forum for me. If you cared to look back through the posts I have made, you will see that I have only ever tried to engage in this community in contructive ways.

it's alright man, i didn't mean it personally, how could i? you're just some anonymous internet identity.. i just can't help but point out that it's worth being wary of anonymous internet identities asking people about their anonymity.. it's my way of staying on topic in a meaningful way, i thought i was contributing :) .. probably my number one piece of advice for maintaining anonymity on the internet is not to start a topic about how to be anonymous on a forum that is regularly trawled by the authorities. y'know? the next would be not to reply in such a thread. i should take my own advice more often, just i'm a pretty uninteresting person with not much to hide i guess..

• Like 2

I think there's a lot of merit in what paradox and many others are trying to convince us all of. Definitely best to not do anything you don't want public on the net and realise there's no good way to have privacy on the net.

but I want to remind us (and have in previous posts in this thread) internet security is important for reason other than talking about how to break the law undetected, that's because internet forums are very good places to get hacked by identity thieves and remote access thieves who steal you computing and internet download credit. Apparently this is very common and lucrative.

so yeah, I think the whole idea of remote access is totally, crazily powerful and I was amazed when I realized its extent. If I can give one piece of advice to anyone it's don't use a computer attached to the net unless you know about remote access and root-kits. It doesn't matter if you aren't doing anything private, you are a target as long as you have the net and are vulnerable.

just to clarify i'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, just saying what popped into my head.. but yeah sonny jim

it's alright man, i didn't mean it personally, how could i? you're just some anonymous internet identity.. i just can't help but point out that it's worth being wary of anonymous internet identities asking people about their anonymity.. it's my way of staying on topic in a meaningful way, i thought i was contributing :) .. probably my number one piece of advice for maintaining anonymity on the internet is not to start a topic about how to be anonymous on a forum that is regularly trawled by the authorities. y'know? the next would be not to reply in such a thread. i should take my own advice more often, just i'm a pretty uninteresting person with not much to hide i guess..

Do you really thing the authorities aren't already aware of everything that has been discussed in this thread? Something tells me the AFP don't come to SAB forums to find the latest anonymity technologies :). That said, the thread is somewhat ironic. But, I still think the more we all know about these types of things, the better protected we are as a community. Imagine trying to track communications between 5 people using tor, rather than just 1. I hate the authorities as much as anybody else, and I might have over reacted. Anyways I hope some junior members like myself learned something that could help them one day.

Ghostery is a cool thing to install on your browser. Literally blocks heaps of different tracking services and jave script shit

I kinda think there's a lot of unwarranted paranoia surrounding the idea that were being tracked. its not as if there's a government agent for every civilian on the net. its autonomous computer programs that are doing the work, most of the information collected would never actually be read by another human until the little flag goes up to say it needs a closer look.

does anyone know of anyone from SAB actually being arrested and prosecuted for what they've posted here??

here is a bit more understandable but you're attracting nowhere near as much attention as you would if you were actively involved in something like an anti-government or protest support page on Facebook. they're more worried about you being a terrorist than growing some plant they only just made illegal last year....

I dont use Facebook at all though, personally. that's kinda why I've been posting here, to fill in the social gap xD and I've said a few things others wouldn't, but I'm not worried about it. suck my schlong, ASIO

• Like 1

it a good idea to remove exif data from photos you upload here. don't want to give away locations of your favorite plants

• Like 1

Eating up bandwidth and chewing up power on my mobile phone so people can sell my data to advertising companies, letting intelligence agencies see all types of internet and communications activity. Granting police, state government, centerlink and whoever else can get it, access a cornucopia of metadata about my day to day activities from where I'm driving to what I'm spending my money on. It's a HUGE invasion of privacy. I've got absolutely nothing to hide, until a legal authority decides that I do. We need to get some civil rights into the IT age. It's becoming so easy to join the dots along the information trail that is is not funny. Do you trust a bunch of lawyers, politicians, bureaucrats, industrialists and IT nerds to make the best decisions in your best interest, regarding your information? No I do not.

Ghostery is a good small-scale tool that you can install along your browser. I suggest you get it if you are thinking about browser tracking - it'll open your eyes a bit. When I visit SAB, the only people trying to collect information on me are Facebook and Google. Some other sites, there are 10's of players trying to get to the nectar.

Peace.

Edited by Gaian
  • Like 2