The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest AzureSoma

Tobacco Growers License

Guest AzureSoma

Is it true you need a license to grow tobacco for personal use?

Does anyone have one or have any info on how much it costs etc.

Originally posted by darcy:

it ain't no crime to grow a few Tobacco plants.

Sorry to be a downer, but this is not correct. It is a crime. It is not permitted to grow for personal use anymore. Every tobacco plant has to be licensed.

I think the best solution is still the first one......

face the direction of Canberra and scream F!ck You All to H!ll.

One of the problems with the law is that it actually states 'tobacco', rather than Nicotiana tabacum. This means that the ornamental / multipurpose species such as Nicotiana alata and N.sylvestris are illegal too. I think I will report the Sydney Botanic Gardens for infringing the laws and see what happens. if they the define it as Nicotiana tabacum, it gives us all the go ahead to grow N.rustica and other species.

Guest AzureSoma
Originally posted by darcy:

I thought that it was legal to have a couple of plants growing because I saw them growing in the Botanic Gardens in Brisbane. I think they labelled it as Nicotinia. Got some seeds from it anyway. You can buy Tobacco seeds over here in Germany in garden centres. Have to have a look and see if it is tabacum or an ornamental.

Does the law actually mention the botanical name, or just the common name tobacco? And why are multinational corporations allowed to grow it, but not us?

You are allowed to grow it, but you need a license. The gov just wants to know how many people are killing themselves without paying tax for the privlege of an early death smile.gif

I suppose one plant would not be a hassle but if you had a plot meters wide it may become a legal problem.

Originally posted by Torsten:

One of the problems with the law is that it actually states 'tobacco', rather than Nicotiana tabacum. This means that the ornamental / multipurpose species such as Nicotiana alata and N.sylvestris are illegal too. I think I will report the Sydney Botanic Gardens for infringing the laws and see what happens. if they the define it as Nicotiana tabacum, it gives us all the go ahead to grow N.rustica and other species. [/b]

Spose it could be interpreted to mean any plant with tobacco in it's common name. wonder how far they would go to police it?

Originally posted by AzureSoma:

It might not be wise to continue with the tobacco seeds?

The first link tells me I am not allowed to produce it, which I don't. Little granny down the road does.

The second link is only about licensed producers, which I am not.

So as far as I can see, I am not doing anything wrong by selling the seed. However, I will get my solicitor to have a look at the act in more detail.

Yeah it's a blatant money grab from the commerical companies who are sick of their rip-off prices being under-cut by black-market operators (chop-shops). I sympathise with the public health funding afforded by the high taxes on the stuff, but this legislation was strongly supported by the tobacco companies, meaning obviously they are in it for their personal gain. I saw a break-down on TV once, I forget the details but the tobacco grower supplying to legal commercial cigarette companies end up with some pitiful fraction of the retail cost, something like 1%.

The law's not just an infringement of our personal liberties to grow things, one can also bring freedom of religion in to play for the handful of native americans living in australia. Regardless, my letter to this effect did not even get a response from the stupid "black market tobacco task force" or whatever they call themselves...

Imagine there's no countries...

Wow!

To think I was pondering escaping the repressive megacorporation controled republican/democrat regimes in my country by moving to australia.

Sounds like you all have it even worse!

No salvia d, no tobacco, etc, etc...

Do you have to buy a license to breathe!?!

Dont laugh, it sounds like it could happen.

My question is would it be safe to mail smoking tobacco seeds from the USA to someone in australia as a homegrowers trade with no permits or anything?

Or should I just keep my tobacco seeds here in the states and find something else to trade with y'all?

Guest DragonFyre

Here's a real tip, any of you peoples heard of the bush? Gardens and plants dont stop with our gardens at home, I mean get your seeds and find a nice quiet spot in the middle of the bush and sprinkle a few about, noone need know... just dont go overboard wink.gif

and why trade tobacco seeds? so many better plants to do that with! damn, I know a fella up here I can get like half a satchie full of seeds for $5!

Originally posted by DragonFyre:

Here's a real tip, any of you peoples heard of the bush? ....find a nice quiet spot in the middle of the bush and sprinkle a few about,

Ever heard of ecological integrity? The middle of the bush might not need any more introduced species. Anyhow the middle of the bush is probably too shady wink.gif you want sun and rich soil.

I'm sure there's heaps more degraded and recently disturbed land around that would be waaay better suited for the random seeding of Nicotina spp.

Along railway tracks is always good. It would hide among all the other weeds there.

I guess you'd have to get some bags of dynamic lifter and set out some plots next to the grafitti.

Might as well sprinkle some poppy seeds out of the train window as well wink.gif Or councel garden beds. Wouldn't giganteums, persian whites and Indian black look realy nice next to some Flanders and Icelandic poppies biggrin.gif

E D

E D

Originally posted by Auxin:

My question is would it be safe to mail smoking tobacco seeds from the USA to someone in australia

Not really, theres a good chance the parcel would catch fire on the way biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Adrian (edited 12 April 2002).]

My question is would it be safe to mail smoking tobacco seeds from the USA to someone in australia as a homegrowers trade with no permits or anything?

Or should I just keep my tobacco seeds here in the states and find something else to trade with y'all?

Hey dude, as far as I'm aware (I queried quarantine) all parcels from O/S bound for WA are scanned for plant matter (among other things), and opened if something is found. If tobacco seeds are found you have to purchace an importing license (~$200), then the seeds need to be checked for the tobacco mosaiq (spelling?) virus. This includes testing the actual seeds, and growing two plants from seed to flower in their 'quarantined' hot house, the plants are then tested for the virus, and I suppose others too. If no virii is found in the plants, your seeds will be shelved for one year, and then the seeds themselves will be tested again. All this is at your financial expence, and you may not import more than 100g.

All of that is pending on whether it will get through customs, when I spoke to customs 4 months ago (after the 31st August law change), they had no interest in stopping tobacco (at least that's the impression I got) they just referred me to quarantine, but that's not to say they don't now.

Please don't try and smuggle it in, if your seeds do contain the mosaiq virus, anyone in your immediate area (not sure on proximity) that is growing tobacco, tomatos and other plants suseptable to this virus will hate you. Also why don't you use the resources already in this country.

Ie.

http://www.australherbs.com

In my dream Sir Cough-a-lot ordered N.Tabacum from here 3 months ago, arrived no probs.

http://www.shaman-australis.com/%7Eseedring/index.html

Based in Kardinya (WA) possibly of help

http://www.shaman-australis.com/~earthpod/

Also offer this product.

Hope I've been of help :-)

I've just realised you're from the USA (Washington, not Western Australia and, Kennewick, not Kenwick), maybe I should read more carefully. Oh well the info still applies to people here ... :-)

For your friend who wants the seeds here, "there's more than one way to skin a cat." (And it doesn't necessarily mean doing anything dodgy)

[This message has been edited by peas-pipe (edited 14 April 2002).]

Guest reville
Originally posted by peas-pipe:

Hey dude, as far as I'm aware (I queried quarantine) all parcels from O/S bound for WA are scanned for plant matter (among other things), and opened if something is found.

In theory.

Do you realise just how many parcels go in and out of WA?

Theyre not going to tell you that they only mange to check a percentage.

All parcels of mine that have been intercepted were intercepted in melbourne.

Once it is in the domestic post its home and hosed.AQIS may check it but they dont even open it they simply put aletter asking you to contact the nearest branch to have the contents inspected. Funnily enough it says nothing about not opening it befiore its inspected.

There is no need to import anyway. The AFSR has heaps as do other suppliers.We dont produce it either so if Torstens covered so are we.

www.shaman-australis.com/seedring