The Corroboree
newageshaman

how big should a loph be in diameter before it is at a good size to be grafted?

Just wondeing about what size a loph should be before you can graft it relatively easy to a trich? i have just bought one that has arrived and the main pup is 2cm in diameter and the other pups are about 1 cm or smaller and i was thinking of grafting some of the littler pups to my trichs? or should i let them grow a bit bigger before attempting to graft? any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

also there are 8 of these 1 cm or smaller pups so it shouldn't be to heart breaking if i lost one or two .

a 1cm loph for grafting is, a very good size, so go for it.

I believe that, the size of the loph doesn't matter, in relations to a successful graft, as "all sizes do it well".

maybe, it's even the smaller and younger, the better.

I like grafting 2 week old lophs, onto say, trichs and had higher rate of success, like this than with 5mm or 10mm lophs.

a 10mm loph can be secured, with say pantyhose easier than a 5mm loph scion.

a 2mm loph can be just placed, onto the vascular ring of the stock, but bigger lophs need to be tied down, and this can be more difficult with loph of a diameter with less than 10mm.

but a 10mm scion is very easy to handle, compared to a very small scion, I mean a small scion, is hard to hold in your fingers, than to be cut, and than to be placed.

in short, the smaller your scion, the more steady your hands have to be.

for a 10mm loph, I would use a ~25mm diameter trich, good luck, I am sure you will be successful.

• Like 2

Thanks very much planthelper i will be sure to try it with some of my smaller trichs and all going well and they take i will upload a photo of the successful grafts :)

i have a question as well, if a young/small loph is being used should the loph be cut as close as possible to the root or should it be above the first few areoles?

thanx

Always try to cut them above the first few areaoles if they are big enough. That way they have a good chance of re-growing.

Edited by SallyD

thanx sallyd, all my attempts so far havent made it past the 1st week so im trying to narrow down my fail factor.

Are they seedlings you are having troubles with ? What stock are you useing

Cheers

Got

hey Got, if you meant me then yeah they are a year old. also have been trying to graft to hylocereus ( prolly not the best )

post-11812-0-32870900-1377138027_thumb.j

post-11812-0-32870900-1377138027_thumb.jpg

post-11812-0-32870900-1377138027_thumb.jpg

Sorry thistime I was talking to you. :)

You should be able to graft those onto Pach stock if you cut the stock close to the tip. The smaller ones should fit on a nice fat pere as well.

As far as Hylocereus goes I think its the devil plant. I have tried to graft onto it a number of times using older pieces and nice new growth as well and they all ended badly.

This pisses me of as every other stock I have tried I have managed to get at least one to take but Hylocereus nothing...................... yet so many people graft onto it all of the time. :BANGHEAD2:

Cheers

Got

Dont forget you can graft the base of the scion upside down as well.
They look mighty funny at first but grow and pup like normal.

@ Got, Thank you. I suspected pach or similar might be best, i just felt more comfortable risking a hylo.

@ andy, really? that sounds cool :-) i'll have to try and find out if best to leave root on or cut it off.

I'll be trying both your sugestions once it warms up a bit.

Take it ezy

Forgive me for not reading the above first but id thought id just throw in my 2c. I graft buttons @ 15 to 25mm and always try to use pre rooted etoliated tips to do so. Pc pach obviously being the most commonly used but for rapid growth, i use psycho0 tips though splitting of the scion can be an issue at times due to the speed of growth