The Corroboree
gtarman

Potent sedative plants...

cal poppy works for me.

i also like sticking my nose in a few brug flower and having a good smell. not sure if its psychosomatic but it works for me!

are there any plants that contain melatonin? griffonia seeds for their 5-htp could be sedating

guys, try salvia guaranitica - it has a marked benzo effect due to its content of cirsiliol, which is a flavanoid.

Cirsiliol is clinically more effective than ambien, which is a commonly prescribed benzo in the states.

i don't recommend a tea, it tastes like ass - smoking has a MARKED effect,

or just chew up a few leaves.

i promise you'll have a minor "holy shit...i feel something" moment...

also, the plant is used among the natives in some south america localities as - a sedative :)

widely available commercially - should be some at bunnings in a few weeks.

• Like 5

Teamwhy, in past times people would plant an Angel's Trumpet outside their bedroom windows because the flower's perfume had a sedative effect and assured a sound night's sleep with profound and colourful dreams.

• Like 3

In regards to Yan Hu Suo (a few different Corydalis species, mainly C. ambigua as far as I can see) - I've just tried it as a tea for the first time - I placed 12 grams of sliced dried root in a teacup, poured in freshly boiling water, covered with a saucer on top of the cup to keep the heat in and placed in the microwave for the same purpose (to preserve heat, I didn't nuke it/turn the microwave on at all). I let this steep for a good 15 minutes then drank the cup.

In hindsight it would have been a better idea to give it a good stir before drinking (and a couple times during) to keep the goodness in solution - the lower I got and the more I agitated it, the more bitter it tasted (but it wasn't intensely or over-poweringly bitter). But either way, a quite pronounced sedative action. Maybe not quite as strong as I'd like..but certainly quite noticeable. Might play around with dosage a bit more, and possibly look into making a tincture or something.

Edited by gtarman
  • Like 1

oi g,, how many teaspoons is 12 grams??

not sure sorry mate, just weighed it on a plate and chucked it in

I think there's also a European salvia that used to be common admix to medieval beer brews said to greatly enhance sedative action. Cant for the life of me think which species it was....don't have the time ATM

^ wait...you're not thinking catnip are you?

That was heaps used instead of hops at one stage...

I can report that catnip tea is definately relaxing. it has... Nepala-something... some kind of flavanoid...

its basically like mescaline to 50% of cats, apparently... high, horny and sometimes CATatonic... :P

Edited by hunnicutt

Found it - Salvia Viridis. From the Wikipedia entry:

In A Modern Herbal, M. Grieve and C. F. Lyel write that the seeds and leaves of Salvia viridis used to be added to fermenting vats to "greatly increase the inebriating quality of the liquor". An infusion of the leaves was used for sore gums, and powdered leaves for snuff

i wonder if that's from the thuje?

are there any plants that contain melatonin? griffonia seeds for their 5-htp could be sedating

Urtica dioica, the stinging nettle, is said to contain 5-hydroxytryptamin!!

I experimented with it (a/b) and found it worth while more investigation.

ref: hans g. boit ergebnisse der alkaloid chemie bis 1960 page 477

but it's an old book...

Just tried smoking dried Salvia guaranitica leaves from my garden...a fair old whack of it. Definitely seems to have some effects, but I don't know how anxiolytic I would say it is. In fact it's hard for me to describe what the effects are right now, and probably will be later. The effects seem quite ambiguous and eclectic, not lending themselves too much to any particular direction or classification. It's mostly just that I know I'm not baseline, but can't say much remarkable about it beyond that.

Started out as relaxation of the muscles, and awareness of heartbeat but I wouldn't say I really felt particularly relaxed at any point, more just a tiny bit spaced out but still quite restless. Now experiencing some muscle tightness in my back+shoulders and the beginnings of very mild cramps in those muscles which may or may not be related.

It might be best described as a lightly stoned feeling. But I wouldn't call it a sedative, at least not the kind that I'm looking for. I might try it as a tea or a quid of the fresh leaves and see how that goes and if anything changes.

Spikenard (Nardostachys jatamansi), used in India, out performed Piracetam in rats & has a calming & anti-depressent effect effect (MAO-A & B i, GABA, acetylcholine). Might be of interest.

Edited by Leaves
  • Like 1

These are all options, find one that works for you....

Argemone mexicana ~ "Prickly Poppy" - latex

Corydalis yanhusuo ~ "Yan Hu Suo" - root

Erythrina mulungu ~ "Mulungu"

Lactuca virosa ~ "Opium Lettuce"

Mitragyna speciosa ~ "Kratom"

Nelumbo nucifera ~ "Sacred Lotus"

Nymphaea caerulea ~ "Egyptian Blue Lily"

Nigella sativa ~ "Blackseed"

Papaver somniferum ~ "Opium Poppy"

Pedicularis spp. ~ "Lousewort"

Picralima nitida ~ “Akuamma Seed”

Salvia miltiorrhiza ~ "Dan Shen"

Passion flower

Hops

Anthemis nobilis & Matricaria recutita ~ "Chamomile"

Valerian

Cinnamomum camphora ~ "Camphor"

Edited by Nezahualcoyotl

I never thought much of dried wild lettuce leaves, but this year I have so much coming up in the garden that I have been experimenting with the fresh herb.

I have been cutting the roots off and boiling up the whole fresh plant, both stem and leaves, to make a strong tea. I add a little grapefruit juice to the boiling water, simmer for 20mins, strain and drink. Tastes similar to poppy tea and has a sedative effect as good as Zopiclone for me. A fantastic sleep and waking up feeling refreshed.

This must be a really high dose, especially compared to what people are generally consuming in tea, smokes and capsules. But its quite drinkable (I enjoy herbal brews) and no negative side effects have been noted, quite the opposite, it feels really healthy. I should really weigh it but been a busy few weeks.

I would be interested to try it in a juicer, hence avoiding heat which could lower potency.

• Like 1

@ try can u find out how much the fresh weight pleaz!!

I never thought much of dried wild lettuce leaves, but this year I have so much coming up in the garden that I have been experimenting with the fresh herb.

I have been cutting the roots off and boiling up the whole fresh plant, both stem and leaves, to make a strong tea. I add a little grapefruit juice to the boiling water, simmer for 20mins, strain and drink. Tastes similar to poppy tea and has a sedative effect as good as Zopiclone for me. A fantastic sleep and waking up feeling refreshed.

This must be a really high dose, especially compared to what people are generally consuming in tea, smokes and capsules. But its quite drinkable (I enjoy herbal brews) and no negative side effects have been noted, quite the opposite, it feels really healthy. I should really weigh it but been a busy few weeks.

I would be interested to try it in a juicer, hence avoiding heat which could lower potency.

If you're worried about heat, you'd be surprised to learn that most electrical juicers actually have the same effect, creating heat through centrifugal friction. Not to quite the same extent probably, but enough to damage some plant chemicals. Those hand-powered wheatgrass juicers are the way to go.

I suspect the addition of grapefruit juice is also having a strong potentiating effect in your self-experiments, from what I know of grapefruit juice.

Edited by gtarman

If you're going to try wild lettuce, get Lactucarium instead, the dried latex. That's what you're really after in the leaves. Personally I've found that most plants that are "sedative" would be better described as calming. Not anything strong enough that it really works if you have more than trivial sleep/anxiety problems. The ones with -strong- sedating properties are usually illegal. The only exception I can think of is Kava. It's not legal to import but you can buy it off people who've brought it (legally) into the country in their baggage on ebay and gumtree. Try it a few nights in a row, it has a strong reverse tolerance. But it's the strongest sedative herb I've experienced. Oh and Mulungu is pretty good too. Nothing else I've tried I would recommend and I've tried most of the things mentioned in this thread. But of course that's just my experience and my biochemistry, you may have a very different reaction.

Yeah, why are the kava tablets green still? Are they still putting leaves in them? They make me feel sick often (the tablets) & the powder has a ginger effect on my guts.

a few beers and kava go well :wink:

Yeah, why are the kava tablets green still? Are they still putting leaves in them? They make me feel sick often (the tablets) & the powder has a ginger effect on my guts.

That's a really good question actually and it never occured to me. The roots are brown and the water is brown. If I had to guess I'd say it's a food colouring they add to make it look more "earthy, peaceful and natural" because big brown tablets don't look soothing and natural.

Also did someone say you can get Kava Shredded Root from Happy High Herbs? Which one? Whenever I've been (and I've only been to the Newtown and Oxford Street ones) they either have useless herbs or really strong unlabelled RCs marketed as party pills.

That's a really good question actually and it never occured to me. The roots are brown and the water is brown. If I had to guess I'd say it's a food colouring they add to make it look more "earthy, peaceful and natural" because big brown tablets don't look soothing and natural.

Also did someone say you can get Kava Shredded Root from Happy High Herbs? Which one? Whenever I've been (and I've only been to the Newtown and Oxford Street ones) they either have useless herbs or really strong unlabelled RCs marketed as party pills.

maleny store!! but it hurts the pocket i think 20 grams 4 25 bucks .. i can smash that in 1 go .. :wacko:

also i have bought kava extract from there too.

also i have bought kava and passionflower tabs from the hippie shop which were way better that the thompson brand :wink:

If you want Kava for good price - Fiji Market - newtown - sydney - on the same road as HHH (King st?) but down the hill a bit. 20 buck per 100g i think.

Edited by Leaves