The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
waterboy 2.0

What the Frack....for the tassie folk - here they come

PetraTherm "explorers and developers of geothermal energy" (based in Adelaide) , has created the subsidary PetraGas to start shale oil and gas fracking.....

The game has changed.....

PetraGas applies for shale oil and gas tenement in Tasmania

tasmania-300x225.png

Petratherm has announced that its wholly owned subsidiary, PetraGas, has applied for a Petroleum Exploration Licence covering approximately 3,900 square kilometres north of Hobart in central Tasmania to explore for shale oil and gas (view press release).

According to the company, the decision to extend into unconventional shale oil and gas exploration leverages its core areas of expertise that include basin geology and deep drilling (developed from working on engineered geothermal systems) and knowledge of the Australian electricity and gas markets.

PetraGas will arrange to meet with key stakeholders and the local community to ensure that a comprehensive two-way communication process is established from the outset.

The tenement application spans part of the petroleum-bearing Tasmania Basin, which is prospective for both conventional and unconventional oil and gas. The company’s initial geological assessment indicates shale oil and gas are the most prospective targets with the primary areas of interest located 50 km north of Hobart. The license straddles the Tasmanian Gas Pipeline which runs between Hobart and eastern mainland Victoria, allowing potential access to major gas markets.

The onshore Tasmanian Basin contains mature potential source rocks. The Permian rock formations have been targeted by limited conventional hydrocarbon exploration in the past.

The license application is now subject to a public gazettal and it is hoped formal granting of the license by the Minister could occur in approximately two to three months’ time. Once the licence has been granted, systematic desk-top source rock analysis will be undertaken as a first step to quantify potential hydrocarbon volumes and to determine the potential for hydrocarbon recovery.

http://www.petratherm.com.au/_literature_122353/Tasmanian_Licence_Application_-_15_July_2013

PetraGas statement to the ASX in regards to license application.

After significant investment into irrigation in the hope of producing improved agricultural production in the area identified (takes more than water...) , some dumb fck I predict is going to help this along....

and if this has flagged something to bring me to the attention of PetraGas/PetraTherm....

"Fuck off you are not welcome in my eyes"

WB

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 2

Great!

There would be other pressures here and a lot of backroom talk i bet pushing this. given the resistance to tarkine mining, and the fact that other states are getting pissed off with carrying Tasmania financially (thats my understanding), our state government would be desperate to source any other way to make money.

The redneck vote is becomming highly politicised here in tassie, and this is only going to enforece it rather than give tasmania the opportunity to explore more ecologically sensitive ways to adress future challenges.

• Like 1