The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Jox

Geocache game

Well yesterday I went for a drive to see if I could find any more locations for the elusive s/e QLD P.subs, while driving along I spotted a few big clumps of shrooms & decided to pull over & investigate. They weren't subs but a simialar looking mushroom, I was taking some photos of them when I noticed a container buried under some mulch. I started to remove this container & noticed it was sealed with a screw on lid & had sealed glad bags inside it, at first I thought I had found someones drug stash or maybe cash :o but upon opening it I found a notepad & a lot of little nick nacks (like an army man, toy spider & some photos) I started to read the note pad & found the notes went back to 2010. There were messages for people from all over the world Germany, Spain, NZ just to name a few, there was also some instructions which explained what I had found. The container was a cache & the game is called Geocache, you can find out more about it at www.geocaching.com, it is basically a treasure hunting game that is played by people around the world.

This was the buried container

post-11291-0-67041200-1374030502_thumb.j

The reason I stopped in the first place

post-11291-0-77051300-1374030616_thumb.j

I must say finding this spun me out a little & left me wondering if anyone here has ever heard of it before or if anyone plays this game?

If so please let us know.

Cheers

jox

post-11291-0-67041200-1374030502_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-77051300-1374030616_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-67041200-1374030502_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-77051300-1374030616_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jox
  • Like 3

Yip!! It really does happen all over the world, i think it is a really cool idea.

I have mostly heard about it in association with tourists, and odd variations on the game where you take something from the container and leave something of yours.

Solomon told me he swapped his dirty old tooth brush for a nice key chain when he discovered one of the containers.

Thanks for reminding me, I was thinking about starting a few and leaving them in special spots where inquisitive people go to forage :P

Edited by bogfrog
  • Like 2

My introduction was basically the same, out frolicking on a wild island and I found a bottle with the cache gear inside under a log.

I thought it would be fun if there was a ethnobotany equivalent, like instead of a site giving the coords for caches it gave ethnobotanical clues too, like

Near 46°1334.50''N 119°10'22.30''W

Between the Asclepias speciosa patch and the Elaeagnus angustifolia tree

• Like 2

or maybe u take out something ethno and replace it with something else ethno :P

I have heard of this before, only people I know that play it a foreigners, but they seem to enjoy it.

• Like 2

yep, have participated and left a few caches in some strange, twisted places.

Edit - good for testing your GPS skills and navigation

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 1

Yip, I'm a cacher and have also thought about an alternative ethno seed sharing cache thing. Let's do it and see if it works.

• Like 2

Thanks for the feed back guys, I figured a few of you guys must of heard about it :). I had never heard of it before & probably never would have if I had not stumble across it.

Cheers

Jox

• Like 1

Thanks for the feed back guys, I figured a few of you guys must of heard about it :). I had never heard of it before & probably never would have if I had not stumble across it.

Congrats on the loss of your Muggledom (or is that mugglehood or muggleship?). It adds a new dimension to adventuring and random bush scrambles. They're everywhere too. If your phone isn't dumb the official Geocaching phone app is well worth getting.

• Like 1