The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

LOOK HERE!

Torsten is a f'n champ!

None of this would be here if it were not for his enthusiasm and dedication.

We owe a lot to him and should keep our minds focused how we can help build this community instead of dividing it.

Please put your differences asside for the common cause and not let him or others feel used.

What nerve must one have to use these forums to insult the person who made this very forum a reality.

If you don't have anything positive to contribute what makes you think we need to know.(retorical)

Guest tsttantra

aust ethnobotany is now built on this forum,and i dont see anyone else stepping forward.none of us can afford to lose it,i dont want to feel ethnobotanically lonely anymore.and if im not it will be due to SAB.i thank torsten for enriching my life in the past 22 months.

t s t .

[This message has been edited by Alchemist (edited 05 March 2002).]

Guest ramulosa

wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Torsten (edited 22 February 2002).]

I wonder who this really is?

Of course it's Mulga or one of his stupid underlings.

The Pity, what's happening here is exactly what Mulga wants: The forums crashing! If he can't have it his way, then no-one shall have it. True redneck-thinking.

Torsten, are you letting Mulga win?

Guest mandragora

l

Edited by mandragora

Guest VENDEJO

This forum is being accessed by many HIGHLY INTELLIGENT, highly capable ppl in the wider community. Because of this forum this community continues to grow.

If some form of internet security is now requ'd please take this option Torsten!

Good on you for all the work you have done so far!!

[This message has been edited by VENDEJO (edited 23 February 2002).]

Originally posted by Adrian:

None of this would be here if it were not for his enthusiasm and dedication.

We owe a lot to him and should keep our minds focused how we can help build this community instead of dividing it.

Nobody said it better. Torsten sweated to make this place a reality. Never having met Torsten, I can only judge him by three or four emails and a wealth of self-evident willingness to put up with unreasonable shit for the common good. I leave it to your imagination what I think of him and his role in seeding this community.

He's not doing it for the money, I have never heard him ask for recognition, and I have never seen him unjustifiably curtail anyone's freedom to express on these forums, even when they are slinging off at him.

If only the rest of our society were allowed to exercise natural freedoms like this we might not have 60% of the 'criminals' in jail in Victoria being convicted on 'drug related' charges.

I hereby repent of being an arsehole about the issue. I apologise for being deliberately and unnecessarily imflammatory when I didn't even go to EB02. I would properly have had the right if I had supported the venture by paying money and attending. I just can't help but respect T. for what he's achieved here- SAB was the first contact I ever had with a community who were interested in the same sort of stuff. That combined with my tendency for overkill has meant that many of my posts have been divisive rather than unifying.

Peace to you all, thankyou and goodnight.

-Waz

Originally posted by Wazron:

I didn't even go to EB02. I would properly have had the right if I had supported the venture by paying money and attending. I just can't help but respect T. for what he's achieved here- SAB was the first contact I ever had with a community who were interested in the same sort of stuff.

Seconded

Originally posted by gomaos:

True redneck-thinking.

Oi love, as an out redneck I object to that wink.gif...c'mon if I have to stop making hippie jokes isn't it a little bit reciprocal LOL

Torsten, are you letting Mulga win?

Matey, matey matey, my pre-crash point entirely. If you think this is only about Torsten vs Mulga, think again. You might just be ignoring the ethics behind the argument.

Anyhow the only way to knock Mulga out permanently online is to make the forums invitation only and password protected.

FULL support to Torsten and Daniel for all their hard work both on and offline.

One of their best legacies IMO is their support for other ppl to continue to work in the field on their own projects. One of the best ways to show you appreciate their work IMO is to use the knowledge and camaraderie here to launch your own research projects- cos now you *can*

Anyhow the only way to knock Mulga out permanently online is to make the forums invitation only and password protected.

Alright Darklight! An underground SAB community!

Guest Mesqualero

yay lets make it harder for ordinary folk to find the seeds and plants they are after.

I must admit to not liking the whole idea of password/member-only forums a whole lot. It creates extra work for Torsten, for a start.

One of the good things about this site is that it's public domain. It allows public debate of public issues. It provides verifiable information pretty freely to ppl who aren't yet involved in the field/ whose expertise lies elsewhere.

For example most ppl here would admit that they have either received or observed beneficial information transmitted which is harm reduction in intent, and such a source would not be available to anyone unless they already knew it was there ( unless of course they were a part of the established EB community elsewhere and thus prolly not need to look it up in the first place )

Most importantly we're not doing anything wrong- remember that bit. Going underground gives the impression that we think we're doing something naughty and might need to be looked at. A public site with public access reminds those whose social mores are more restrictive than ours that after all we are only exercising our right to a spirited enquiry into the phenomena which surrounds everyone everyday. Plants are everywhere. The ordinary citizen's right to examine and carry out scientific study is not yet completely severed.

But needs must I suppose, and overseeing wrangling forums can get a bit fraught when someone decides their sole mish in life is to upset someone else's apple cart. If it has to be then it has to be...

Originally posted by Darklight:

True redneck-thinking.

Oi love, as an out redneck I object to that wink.gif...c'mon if I have to stop making hippie jokes isn't it a little bit reciprocal LOL

Do you really want to make us believe you are a redneck?

Guest VENDEJO

In this day and age, doesn't hippy=joke?

"To associate with other like-minded people in small, purposeful groups is for the great majority of men and women a source of profound psychological satisfaction. Exclusiveness will add to the pleasure of being several, but at one; and secrecy will intensify it almost to ecstasy." - hoffman

Guest tsttantra

coin,i got an email from you?

did you get my reply?

t s t .

Guest shroomyy

is it possible to have the forums open to the public but only preselected (via email or whatever) can join ie: i wish to join sab my name is #%$^& and im a heavy DAT user. than once allowed to register it works the same as it does now????????.

[This message has been edited by shroomyy (edited 25 February 2002).]

Guest Mesqualero

what? as in some kind of ethnobotany ruling elite ? a group who will decide who is "righteous" enough to be allowed to use the forums?

what qualifications would one need to join this select little movement?

how would any screening prevent unwanted ppl from gaining initial entrance anyways?

All of this because of one very annoying person.

what? as in some kind of ethnobotany ruling elite ? a group who will decide who is "righteous" enough to be allowed to use the forums?

My point exactly.

Such a move would in no way prevent anyone else from starting up another public forum. The time wasted by Mulga's stuffing around, for example, could have been more usefully spent in learning enough to set up his own site...

I'd say most if not all ppl here would be eligible to join a private forum. Subscription only mailing lists exist elsewhere, MAPS and Ibogaine lists for example, I imagine this would just be a tad more secure.

What would be sad, IMO, and why I'd prefer it not to happen, is the loss of new ppl who could be future contributors to a site which is established and has regular, checkable information and long term participants. And I do believe there is a harm-reduction bent to a lot of the information presented here which is of benefit to the wider community. Losing that to exclusivity would be a waste, potentially a tragic one.

how would any screening prevent unwanted ppl from gaining initial entrance anyways?

Invitation only based on recommendation would be a good start...

All of this because of one very annoying person

Yep. That's his contribution to the Australian EB scene.

Waterdragon matey, I can't seem to email you, yr profile addy bounces. Can you mail me?

May I add at this point, Mulga, you stink. You really *are* gutless.

Watching your public tirade against Torsten unfold makes me realise what a personal issue his contribution is for you. Ever since you lied about my friends at EB1 I loathe you far more than he ever could, yet when you refer to the ppl around him who agree with him, you never seem to mention me by name nearly often enough...

I feel all left out *sniff*.

Is it cos you're too gutless to take me on too? Or is it similar to your usual ploy where you hint at vast numbers of ppl who are allegedly supporting you but whom never ever name. Or are you labouring under yet another delusion that the bridges you've burned in this district could somehow be rebuilt and I will somehow prove useful to you in the future? I wouldn't work with you, or on any project you assiciate with, merely on principle.

So come on baby, bring it on...

[This message has been edited by Darklight (edited 25 February 2002).]