The Corroboree
mutant

Mandrake cultivation discussion

^^ how deep is the pot?

P1140932.jpg P1140933.jpg P1140934.jpg

3 x 18-month old growing like champs, fruit already forming in another, and smaller ones

added some more pebbles in some of the mandrakes. Mealies start to hit a few of them - pebbles, among other things, like preservation of moisture for the warmer months will help cleaning off the mealies from the underside of the leaves without making a muddy mess, preventing the underside to touch soil.

Edited by sagiXsagi
  • Like 1

I have one of these that has about a 7inch tap root, in a 50/50 mix perlite and organic soil. It's in a pretty deep 5 gallonish pot and it has a few small leaves growing out of the top. Where I live it gets very hot and humid during the summer. Should I bring it inside and put it near a window? I'm not sure what type of temperature this little guy likes, or how wet to keep it. We're in the 80's F now. Any advice?

Loves2cacti, mine survived and grew in the Sydney summer. Temps ranged from 26C to 34C, I had them at the base of some other plants protected and just in morning sun, never direct. They did fine

yeah I would say shade is the best bet

2 year 3 months old plant starting to flower for the first time. My other mandrake also started to bud however leaves died back and when I was pulling the dry leaves I pulled the crown off the root. It may grow back and flower this year as it is still cool enough to grow but might need to wait another year.

Anyone know if these are self pollinating?

post-14238-0-99003000-1457992927_thumb.jpost-14238-0-83779600-1457993028_thumb.jpost-14238-0-25056100-1457993173_thumb.j

post-14238-0-99003000-1457992927_thumb.jpg

post-14238-0-83779600-1457993028_thumb.jpg

post-14238-0-25056100-1457993173_thumb.jpg

post-14238-0-99003000-1457992927_thumb.jpg

post-14238-0-83779600-1457993028_thumb.jpg

post-14238-0-25056100-1457993173_thumb.jpg

Edited by modern.shaman
  • Like 2

I think they are not. One friend has a huge flowering one but no fruits

• Like 1

P1150111.jpg P1150112.jpg P1150113.jpg

the fruits, some fruits are more big than ever.

P1150115.jpg P1150116.jpg P1150117.jpg

this rosette vanished. I wonder if I completely killed it. I am not sure about uprooting and all.. there's also a big one that hasn't popped up yet..

fruits are often hidden under leaves

P1150118.jpg P1150119.jpg P1150121.jpg

mandrakes, always good to keep a few as a back up

Edited by sagiXsagi
  • Like 3

no! they're full of exotic and non studied aromatic substances that seem to be non psychoactive.

there's an israel science paper that studies this and ststes that no toxic tropane-like alkaloids were traced in the fruit, minus the seeds

But dont take my word for it. or that papers.

Having ingested small portions of flesh and skin and dealt with great lots of fruit flesh separating seeds

I think I would have by now understood if they were active

contrary to this

they seem to have one of the most intense memorable aromas ever experienced, and the mythology that surrounds this, plus my acute sense of smell all play a role in me wanting to make some magic potion from the fruits...

maybe some perfume?

• Like 1

Great thread! Picked up lots. Bought a couple officinarum last November. Very small but they're 2-3 years old according to the vendor.

They went dormant the first week of 90f/32c temperatures. Don't really know if it was the weather or operator error.

I'm following the topic now and hope to grow from seed if I can get some fresh ones and plant at the right time. Just sorting it out now that I've found the thread.

Cheers all!

there are no real fresh seeds when its the best time to sow, in september (for m.automnalis, in northern hemisphere) ... they are at least 3~7 months old, if they are from the running season current season. Unless you wanna score them now, yeah they are fresh now...

Can provide seeds year round currently, PM me if you're interested.

• Like 2

P1150554.jpg  P1150555.jpg  

P1150556.jpg  P1150557.jpg

P1150551.jpg  P1150552.jpg

P1150553.jpg

I was worried with extreme heat and uprooted some plants. several small ones were dead. still havent got the handle of it 

Edited by sagiXsagi
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, sagiXsagi said:

I was worried with extreme heat and uprooted some plants. several small ones were dead. still havent got the handle of it 

I know little about this plant  but those are some very healthy looking roots to me.  Just to be safe, it might be a good idea to store them in a cool dry place until growing season.  Is that what you're thinking?  

• Like 1

yep, cool and dry during summer, also thinking in potting them in dry soil too. or not 

I decided to take cuttings as well :P 

P1150601.jpg  P1150602.jpg

P1150603.jpg  P1150604.jpg

in cutting them I took into account the shape and length and size.. all of them now can be put in a smaller sized pot, and hopefully controlled easier...  numbers are also important because I had a nasty snail attack this year in my roof, and I still find damn small ones in shadey places which means I will have a problem when the first rains come.. 

P1150578.jpg 

will uproot the rest of them in the following days

• Like 4

despite my failures (losing plants every year),

I know I said I was getting the handle of them, well, my biggies are thriving ( - or they used to, I haven't dug them up but I stopped watering them, they cant have died of drought like others , smallies did )  already showed one dug-up thats alive  and kicking - well I choppe 3 legs off it, but it still seems happy ready to be planted -and I have new ones and everything what do you want??!! lol, yeah I have lost plants every season I think, but I also try to make new plants .... always a propagative fool 

lol... they're no easy plants, and where I am its a pretty hot place in summer - I have seen plants fry or rot or both in extreme heat, if they're wet in the wrong season, anyways, I am still trying to get to know how it workz .  

because the time you uproot and and replant the mandragoras plays a very big role... 

I am trying to get better, and honestly sharing it with ya... 

propably helps my climate is according to this bugger 

I have rotted bigger roots because, heh, it was end of season and I watered, and because of heat and weteness, and I have seen smaller roots dry and fail, kind of tricky... but I hope I am getting somewhere with the cuttings... 

I am circling it around, but I think I will get it.. 

everyones with another Mandragora variety or species is welcome to PM we for some trade or something.... 

the seed production this year seems to be even better than last year's. this means that even though the snails which were almost epidemic, this year, (another pest drawn to my plants, making damage to some cacti as well, beside eating up the mandrakes) , so intense the mandrakes only did one take in their rosette actually...  

STILL, the production seed production and seed size this year is even better than previous years . 

This is propably due to large roots beneath, giving out big fruits, or/and fruit production and plants production rate peaked when attacked by the snails.. who knows... my plants where fucked by the snails but the seed seems more , wtf..... 

P1150753.jpg

the dried material are super aromatic non-toxic parts of the fruit. 

one in the zips are previous years, ones in the bowl are this years... 

3 years fruits, well I kept more this year

I intend to make some kind of special liqueur, actually I am still not decided if this is to have sugar(s) and be sweet, so as to drink.. and in fact, I am not really sure it should be drunk... but! it should be created! 

and I think it should be alcoholic, so as to dilute the stuff

so throw yr ideas.......

PS: I am really thrilled to up - root " the woman"  and another important root called the castle  - I hope they are not dead, heh 

yeah, I am going to do it soon,

pray that the lady and castle are alive...

should I do it now?? 

Edited by sagiXsagi
  • Like 7

today:  put the dried fruit in half liter of 40% vol  "tsipouro" , what they use to start liquers, grape or wine extract usually. 

I estimate it should sit at least 20 days there with the occasional shake and all... 

• Like 2

the woman shaped root became a mermaid, didn't grow the second leg, tits saggy, some parts were close to rotting they seem, I will be potting in smaller containers next year. 

letting uprooted root to sit partly in water seems to to keep them from dehydrate, especially smaller ones. One yearold sitting on and off the water pool for some time is even starting a rosette . still haven't uprooted all of them

P1150771.jpg  P1150772.jpg

PS: the alcoholic fruit extract took colour within a couple hours and few stir-ups

PS2: I am quite sure some rootlets actually grow in this shallow little pool. 

Edited by sagiXsagi
  • Like 2

third year in the ground for this mandrake

IMG_3454.jpg

IMG_3455.jpg

these are Sagi's mandrake seeds, been in bout 6 weeks, excellent germination since they were sitting in a draw for a year, thank you Sagi.

IMG_3456.jpg

IMG_3454.jpg

IMG_3455.jpg

IMG_3456.jpg

IMG_3454.jpg

IMG_3455.jpg

IMG_3456.jpg

• Like 4

Plants in the ground are always a pleazure to watch. 

Glad to know that seed was still viable. This must be from fruits from spring 2014, I think. Did you do anything to them, like cold stratification or anything or just threw them on the soil like a do? :P   its winter there, right? so maybe the right time to sow did the trick

I have also wondered about its potential behaviour in an hydroponic setup... 

PS: mandrake fruit alcoholic drink is now sitting for 25 days.. In a few days I will be adding the syrup. I wonder if I should let it sit a bit more after adding the syrup / sugarwater...  I would put honey in it, but I wanna taste the fruit so.... 

• Like 1

the mandrake booze will be interesting Sagi, was the tsipouro clear before you added the mandrake fruits?

i didn't do anything to the seeds, sprinkled them into the pot n put about 10mm of soil on top, yes it is winter here still, less than a month now to go till the official start of spring, end of August. Thought because the mandrake plant had come up again in the garden it was a good time to plant the seeds, when it starts to get warm again I'll move the pot into the green house to keep the pot cool over summer.

• Like 2

Nice... 

yeah the tsipuro was a double extraction, clear and good wine extract. 

• Like 1

I bottled the mandragora liquer in 50 ml tittle bottles... Still haven't tested it... I guess liquer is not allowed either by oz customs??