The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Smiling Cloud

Tobacco plant regulations

I want to know if selling tobacco plants at a local market would be illegal or not. I skimmed through the Tobacco Act of 1987. It mentions Tobacco Product a lot. The act's definition of a Tobacco product is: tobacco, cigarette or cigar or any other product the main ingredient of which is tobacco and which is designed for human consumption.

I'm thinking that as a tobacco plant is not DESIGNED for smoking it would be legal to sell, but I'm not sure, does anyone know??

there is some more recent regulation that prohibits the growing of tobacco plants entirely. customs/excise I think.

thought we had similar laws to UK.that you can grow only for your self,and cannot sell,trade or even give away any tobacco product.that is growing for self only is legal,but you cannot even offer a friend a smoke of it.

basically info from tobacco culture,a d.i.y.guide.

t s t .

Yup. The law regarding tobacco was changed in early 2001, so that now (I believe) you require a licence to possess any part of the tobacco plant (fresh or dried or cured or seeds or root or whatever) that has not already been taxed. I think I mentioned this a while ago, but I haven't actually read all the relevant information, so I'm not sure on the details. They were running a big ad campaign in the newspapers and on the British-American Tobacco website (hmm, how's that for perspective?) The main argumant was that it was to stop "us" being cheated out of the money that would be earnt in tax off of this tobacco.

(???????????)

Beer's still fine (thank f#*k). :-)

It's almost ready, too. :-P