The Corroboree
Rum and Monkeys

Hot House Nightmare

Hello.

6 days ago, I put up a small hot house type structure to protect a heap of my cacti from the winter weather and I have been away due to family issues and way too much work.

So I got home today and it hasent been overly hot while I was away, BUT now I have a shit load of loph's, trichs and other cacti that have either gone VERY yellow and/or bending EXTREMELY (not mushy).

I will take photo's in the morning so it takes a better shot, but can someone please help me! I cant lose these, way to much time and effort, lol.

Many thanks in advance.

Basically, theres almost nothing you can do. I had the same thing happen to me recently when i was travelling to Paris for a few days and couldnt open the windows. Make sure temperatures are not too high and give plenty of water but not too much. And remove dead seedlings asap or they will infect others with fungal crap.

So it generally just got over heated?

I have opened the vents now and considered a water but due to poor light I decided against it. The soil is bone dry so I will prolly mist in the morning.

Will they eventually turn green again ? :unsure:

Am I better off taking the plastic type material away and putting a shade cloth on?

Hi, i would be hesitant to spray your plants, as this could likely lead to more problems, if it ends up being a hot day tomorrow you may just sunburn them and with already damaged plants a little more trouble spells death for the ones who are already hanging by a thread.

Bottom watering would be very much preferable, or even just carefully pouring water around on the surface of soil. But like EG said, not too much.

As for removing the plastic and replacing it with shadecloth.. Erm no not now, you would be better off draping the shadecloth over top of the plastic and weighting it down so it can't blow away.

Removing the plastic would expose your plants to colder temperatures than they would have become used to while acclimatising to the greenhouse.

You really want to avoid shocking them. The only thing you can do to help now is protect them from extreme temps (hot AND cold) and very bright sun. You can't un-do what damage has already been done, its up to the plants now if they wanna fight on.

Edited by bogfrog
  • Like 2

Will they eventually turn green again? I know a tonne of them need a water as I haven't seen some of these so shrivelled up before, even after weeks of no watering (due to the hot house temps I am guessing), I will take both of the above's advice and be severely gentle with what I do. Will bottom feed in the morning and put the shade cloth over the top.

Will post pictures in the morning for everyone entertainment. ( I just wanna scream and swear! )

Mine generally start to fall over when they dont have enough base support once they start getting about and inch n a half tall. Plenty of sand around the base sorted that out.

Besides the loph's, nothing is smaller then 10cm.(edit, 10cm tall)

Edited by Rum and Monkeys

I see no reason why they won't be able to become green again later on. But for now, they need to be in recovery mode. Maybe some seasol would help them recover. I would definitely use some shade-cloth, and keep a finger on the temps inside (keep them down to inhibit fungal growth).

they will be come green if the cells having been really damaged (ie very brown adn probably sunken). the green will come back. i think if it were me, adn without seein pictures, i would ue shade cloth for now.

If you jsut moved them in, it could simply be that you didnt acclimate them. sudden changes of light/heat comapred to slwo chagnes makes all the world. my greenhouse regularly ges over 60F without much issue.

Depends if this is really burnt or if the cells can recover. With a real bad heat damage, seedlings very oftenly die! If they survive the first months, they´ll be completely fine again though. This is the same as with skin damage on people. If you got a very severe sunburn you´ll usually recover without anything left. But if a certain amount of skin gets irreparably damaged from fire or anything like that, body will die. Seedlings are very vulnerable and sun can easily kill them at the early stages.