The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

botanika

Australia the anal country...

should c my work i feelz like i work in asia !!! awesum people kool as fuk but if an aussie cames rollin in there is no work???

crazy aye :huh::o my crew drink hard and smoke hard and fuken work hard[ sounds aussie aye] but they take all there coin back home for there family......... :devil:

LOL at the airport thing; fucking hate those places man. Almost everything about them. Can't wait till i can just take the Gravity Train everywhere..yeah. Also how come i never fail to get """random""" bomb tested? Is it my beard? Or astronomical chance?

bullit: have you ever left Australia? Most people who think it's awesome haven't. Which isn't to say it will change your mind, but surely it's worth checking to see if you would live a happier life somewhere else? At the very least such experiences provide ideas for how to better your own country, and no country is perfect.

Through discussions with my Balinese friend I am slowly learning that every nation and area has a comparative list of positives and negatives, freedoms and sanctions. I mean quantity of each; the nature of these will vary greatly. And what each individual values, will shape their opinion of the place. But the point is that nowhere is perfect and all places have terrible and awesome things attributable to them. It's our job as humans to attempt to mitigate the former and enhance the latter.

Whitewind: I totally agree about the nationhood thing being arbitrary and imaginary, but i still think countries (and states, towns etc) are necessary because humans love categorising. Also re: cultural identity, clearly much atrocity has been committed because of this, but how come some people can have one, and even associate this with a nation/state/whatever without it turning bad? I for one am very glad our Earth has such a varied range of cultures and peoples. I think it is intrinsically human. I suppose the problem comes when people attempt to force their views on others, or assume their culture to be superior.

My story about nationalism. We were studying the Great War in SOSE (Studies of Society and Environment) and we were told that the three causes of the conflict were Nationalism, Militarism and Imperialism. The next day i attended an ANZAC day parade. What did i see? Australian flags out the wazoo, soldiers everywhere (obviously) and they even sang God save the Queen! Far out. Deja vu. ....Short memory.

Frank! I've never ever been selected for those bomb testing/screens either at an airport! Geez I've passed through a few REALLY fucked up, and the folks that generally selected wear business suits? I even offered myself up for a scan cos I was feeling left out, the lady just waved me away from her with her scanning thingo :)

I can't believe I'm so unthreatening lol

yes frank i have left oz :BANGHEAD2: and the world is beautiful BUT i love caming home to this awesum fuken cool as joint......................... peace :innocent_n:

Yeah well I'm like Frank I get checked every time. Always worried I've forgotten to change my boots and they have nitrogen or something suspicious on them. Like as if I look anything like a suicide bomber ffs. They just pick on long haired guys I think. Or beardies like your good self, Frank.

Categorising is for childish minds. It's the patterns that are interesting. Well, actually categorising is alright but people tend to "good" or "evil" stuff and that's when the mindless get caught up in their bigotry. Most people aren't smart enough to get around to looking at the patterns or colours, it's all black and white, good or evil to them.

I hate minds like that. Can't have a conversation or anything remotely attempting intelligence. Urgh.

Yeah well I'm like Frank I get checked every time. Always worried I've forgotten to change my boots and they have nitrogen or something suspicious on them. Like as if I look anything like a suicide bomber ffs. They just pick on long haired guys I think. Or beardies like your good self, Frank.

I've come up with a genius method to get around this kind of discrimination.

I make an amazing transformation from long-haired bearded hippie, to intellectual with no time for shaving and haircuts, simply by putting on my reading glasses!

Categorising is for childish minds. It's the patterns that are interesting. Well, actually categorising is alright but people tend to "good" or "evil" stuff and that's when the mindless get caught up in their bigotry. Most people aren't smart enough to get around to looking at the patterns or colours, it's all black and white, good or evil to them.

re: Longhairs and beardos:

I am both bro! It's definitely legit. One nice lady basically admitted it to me. I was like "I think your randomisation process must be poor, for i am chosen for this every time" and she was like "yeah i'm just doing my job man".

re: minds: I disagree about categorisation. I think it is awesome because it allows for such finer levels of detail than good and evil. Spectrums! Spectra?

I think conflict and bigotry occur when people's categorisations mismatch and cannot be reconciled.

I don't think that will work, scarecrow. If the beard makes you look like a terrorist, the glasses make you look smart. Now it appears you have the motivation, AND the means!

Also re: cultural identity, clearly much atrocity has been committed because of this, but how come some people can have one, and even associate this with a nation/state/whatever without it turning bad?

I think it really depends on which people and culture/s you're talking about, and what your definition of "bad" is. Obviously people have an instinctual desire to fit in somewhere and to belong to groups, seeing as we evolved to survive that way...and I think because of that instinct we're naturally inclined to take our group's values and our ties to them quite seriously, and to "defend the tribe" against "outsiders".

But in this, as in many other facets of human nature, I think the real tragedy isn't that we have an instinct that causes us to behave in dysfunctional and illogical ways - it's that we most often can't even recognize that it's happening, which leads to us taking it seriously and legitimizing actions and viewpoints which we would otherwise know to be dysfunctional and illogical.

And I think that most likely what happens in instances where different cultures can co-exist, is that people have just taken pains to realize this and work with it, or they're at least confined to tolerance by enforced law and order.

Yeah I have glasses too. And I don't take this shit seriously enough. Sometimes the best thing to do is go straight up to them and say "Are you going to scan me now? You always do!" and then grin at everyone else and exclaim "It's the long hair you know, my dad always said it would be a mistake!" and then puss yourself laughing.

Or even piss yourself. Though pussing yourself might be a somewhat random and fascinating option if you are a female

Weird...

Having trouble getting the meds right...

Tell us something we don't already know ;)

Haha. Kinda true. Will have to tell the story sometime, it's pretty weird. You'll probably hate it. So many unexpected things are psychoactive haha.

Cool link Chilli

That is a sweet track & vid Sly!

Thanks for posting!!

Awesome thread guys!

A lot of brilliant points brought up, debated and hopefully something learned from all this.

I come from Wales, U.K. Emigrated over to N.Z in 1994 with the family due to lack of work for the old man. Geez, am I GLAD we did!

I love N.Z for the people and the landscape. It has it's issues like Australia: THE GOVERMENT.

I firmly believe most problems can be equated with the government. Why?

EDUCATION.

The education system is severely flawed. It's draconian and needs to change. Every individual is different in how we learn.

Instiling family values should be taught, as I truly feel THIS is the root of most of society's problems; a broken home.

Taking pride in having a clean environment; taking pride in treating animals with respect; taking pride in being nice to others not only when you want something; doing things for others without a reward at the end.

Basic philosophises instilled at a young age, I feel would be highly beneficial.

Regarding what I said about everyone learning differently: it's 2013 we have the technology and sociological understanding of ourselves, and yet we're teaching like its the 1980s. We should have the means to screen each child at Primary school, see how he/she thinks and class them with like minded individuals.

The education system is being dumbed-down and for a very good and specific reason, we all know that and why.

Thoughts?

well

I see lots of those things you describe as unsual in china being the norm in greece. especially in regards with rules like helmets, smoke free zones, and in general, we have rules, but he seldom use them or enforce them.

It always seemed fitting to me cause I always had no respect for rules and authorities and governments. I didn't even give a fuck when the so called 'crisis' was coming on and the TV was terrorizing people that we are going to hell if they vote for the left wing.

I have a question: I know that everything is very expensive in australia: drugs, cacti and renting or buying a apartment.

is your salaries equally high?

Minimum

Wage is about 17.60 an hr I think mute

15.6 aus $ ===> 10 euros, hmmmm not bad at all... for a lower one...

that's more than 3 times the "normal" minimum salary used to be once in greece...

well in greece for a job food delivery with a motorbike, the lower salary used to be 4.7 euros per hour, but nobody ever paid that. The salary for that job was paid at 3~3.5 per hour.. Same with almost every job, waitresses and service inside a store paid even less.

Nowadays there's practically no lower limit. Lots of people work for 8+ hours for say 20 euros, so it's even less than 3 per hour. And lots of people have no job or whatever, but they would willingly work for 2.5 euros per hour, that's how fucked up are stuff here!

Dont get me started on how much illegal immigrants are paid for very hard jobs...

So quit bitching you american wanna-bes!!!.... state degeneration & not trusting the state are genuinely modern-greek thingies...

PS: Inco, you dont get stopped at the airports cause you're a Sagittarian mate..

Minimum

Wage is about 17.60 an hr I think mute

I've had people under my employ that earn less than $10 an hour lol

I'm not sure I earn $17 an hour currently on my 40 hour a week salary.

farm labour min $ 20.80 per hour.. but alot of the pickin is done by commission. [per kilo!!] which means work biatch and u will make loads of coin :devil: most of my workers / pickers make shitload more then me :wacko:

@ tract u bastard lol ..

An interesting opinion piece from the ABC

Inequality is a political problem, not an economic one

So we demonise government, we laud private enterprise unconditionally, we privatise everything in sight, we cut services because we have undermined our tax base with handouts and reduced rates to our richest citizens - corporate and otherwise - and we wonder why we are not happy with the outcomes, why inequality rises and why we increasingly feel powerless.