The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Shamanistic

Suspected Marasmius oreades

I'm using this wet weather to get better at IDing various types of fungi. Today I was walking and seen a huge amount of what I believe is Marasmius Oreades. I learned about this mushroom last season and know that it grows around here. There's no way I'm putting these anywhere near my mouth without knowing what they are though, not that I'll be eating these ones but I'd love to try get some myc growing from them.

Cap: Dark creamy, almost looks like a P. Cubensis from the top.

post-9896-0-38920700-1371121091_thumb.jp

Gills: Same colour as cap although a little lighter.

post-9896-0-19450800-1371121105_thumb.jp

Spore Print: White.

Growing on: Mulch.

Thank you my fellow mycologists!

post-9896-0-38920700-1371121091_thumb.jpg

post-9896-0-19450800-1371121105_thumb.jpg

post-9896-0-38920700-1371121091_thumb.jpg

post-9896-0-19450800-1371121105_thumb.jpg

No, Id say not sorry.

Marasmius oreades doesnt have a smooth cap like that, it is broadly umbonate. and uneven.

Its the gills more than anything, they are really tight wheras Marasmius oreades have really widely spaced gills.

Marasmius oreades grow amongst grass and form really obvious rings.

I cant say for sure what you have there, but it looks like Limacella sp. if you can supply a better photo of the stem it would help a lot.

Edited by obtuse

Thanks obtuse. Now that you mention it the gills of the m. oreades I found last year were well spaced and the cap was definitely not as smooth as this one. I'll get a picture of the stem for you when I get home. Thanks for the advice mate!

M. oreades grow in Australia???

Yes, they are a cosmopolitan weed species

Mostly in Vic, Tas, less so in NSW and SA

Edited by obtuse
  • Like 1

These are not good example pictures, but how generally do you tell the difference between a Laccaria and Marasmius?

http://s1093.photobucket.com/user/NotSoFro/media/Fungi%20to%20share%2002/null_zpsbed013ad.jpg.html'>th_null_zpsbed013ad.jpg

http://s1093.photobucket.com/user/NotSoFro/media/Fungi%20to%20share%2002/null_zpsc8b2f5fd.jpg.html'>th_null_zpsc8b2f5fd.jpg

Actually, I can't confirm that these little fellas are even Laccaria, they could possibly be a Mycena, the striations are messing with me.

the photos are tiny, but pretty sure they are not Mycena sp.

they do look like Laccarius sp.

There are literally tonnes of Marasmius oreades at an inner city park in grass I know. If anyone is interested pm me for more specific details. They were quite tasty. Its hilarious that companies import these from france for an outrageous price when they are reasonably common on lawns in full sun.

I agree that is not Marasmius oreades. The gills are usually very distant and chunky. the stem can wrap around your finger without breaking.

Now that I've went back and looked more at the old photos I have of the MO I see that my assumption was wrong and I learned to consider a new factor, gills. While this is obvious to most mycologists, for me myself the iding I've done has only really required me to look at cap, stem and spore print.

As for what these are, I've been waiting for these specimens to fruit again, I walk past nearly every day but haven't seen anymore :( I'll be sure to post up a picture when they do. There was HEAPS there but now they are just rotten remains.