The Corroboree
El Presidente Hillbillios

Giant pumpkin contest!!

You've got my finger out of my ass that's fo sho :0

• Like 1

Lol.

Well I'm shaking in my gumboots comparing the size of WBs and HBs pumpkin paradises to my dinky wee garden :(

I cant sacrifice too much of my growing space cause I still wana grow other veg, but I have another spot i'll be working on tomorrow.

I just turned my soil and added lots of horse poo, half-melted peastraw and homegrown compost.

Although this really is a small patch I am still gonna try, because I know how much organic matter I have fed this ground over the last two years and there is alot of sprawling-room on this terrace.

Its very dark soil and its deep! I'm quite happy with it.

post-8023-0-98273500-1374294689_thumb.jp

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

c'mon incog pull your finger out...lol...still daylight left

I think BF is gunna be the dark horse of the competition...hmmmmm ...this is not going to go easy this year hillbilly :wink:

DSCF8496_zps0088069b.jpg

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 2

Welll I hopefully will be in my new house end of next week and will have a few acres To make a patch in.

There can be only one.

• Like 2

You better go grab a tanker load of town water first bro to loosen up that red clay, not much besides nut hair grows well out that way unless your a seasoned cropping cowboy ;-P

I've gone for 3 x 50L storage tubs stacked ontop of each other. Had them collecting dust so just cut the bottoms out, stacked, and filled with bucket loads of compost, horse shit (the nutritious type, not the stuff incog speaks) and broken down vege scraps. Went and found an old septic tank in a vacant block and dug up maybe 100-150 worms the size of my green 'thumb' and proclaimed them into the mix. Lastly I threw my strides to the deck and emptied a good litre of vegie juice enriched, god worthy 'green thumb' juice and took a nap under a winners tree.

Strangely enough I dreamt of a poor fella out back 'o nowhere who attempted to grow pumpkins.

Edited by thed00dabides
  • Like 3

Red soil is amazing when mixed with shit, the organics release the nutes from the red soil. Hey man every time u eat wheatbix or munch on a muesli bar or hey eat bread, give thanks to the red soil!!!!

Fuk yas in gonna stomp ur asses with a world record pumpkin.

• Like 3

There's some impressive patches coming along. WB Tassy record is like 260kg I think with the right seeds you will crush that. Where's everyone getting their seed or is it a secret?

I was reading today of a nifty pumpkin-growing trick that somebody may want to try - grafting two vines/plants to one pumpkin, so it gets two plants worth of nutes and water etc. Apparently burying sections of vine around the nodes also helps by throwing out new taproots.

I don't really have the space to join in so I prefer to grow pumpkins vicariously through you all, by offering random bits of possibly valid advice I've found haha

• Like 4

Awesome keep it up gtarman!!

My seedsies arrived just this morning. They are Atlantic Giant and I bought them from a farmer who grows in a similar climate to mine.

I also have some of HB's prize winning seed, although it might be a bit old, how long do punkin seeds stay viable?

I might try both and cross pollenate them :)

Edited by bogfrog
  • Like 2

Bout 5 years I think maybe longer.

• Like 1

The Tas record is around that Stillman, not sure if its the "official" or what in fact constitutes an official weight (?). If I can punch out a 200 kg+ I'd be stoked. Its only Atlantic Giants for me.

re seeds i've got a few from HB, some come back to me from what was originally off ebay somewhere grown last year(was neglected but had potential - seed is available), and a few I searched and sourced ruthlessly for that I think hold the most promise from biggins (?) :wink:

5 year be about right for viability, have read of 8-9 year ones still performing when stored well. If they are old it is even more important to file the seed, which is a good thing to do regardless. I will be filing all the seeds I put down, I found a while back this is a really,really good thing to do.

Boggy is worrying me now, hunting seed that is performing in her climate. Not sure of the NZ record BF but this is not a small one:

http://www.3news.co.nz/Record-breaking-700kg-pumpkin/tabid/420/articleID/248257/Default.aspx

theres good genetics there....

• Like 1

lol...gotta say its lookin like there's a contest this year :)

If I don't get flooded out I'm going to have a real go.

• Like 2

Boggy is worrying me now, hunting seed that is performing in her climate. Not sure of the NZ record BF but this is not a small one:

http://www.3news.co.nz/Record-breaking-700kg-pumpkin/tabid/420/articleID/248257/Default.aspx'>http://www.3news.co.nz/Record-breaking-700kg-pumpkin/tabid/420/articleID/248257/Default.aspx

theres good genetics there....

OMG, gaining 7kgs per day. Fuck yeah. Now i'm excited. At that rate you could almost watch it grow over an afternoon :D

• Like 1

Hey will anyone truthfully tell me weather pumpkins like seaweed or not?

Just gathered some this arvo. Its slimy and stinky but looks like it might be helpful to my cause.

Sure dig it In without washing the seasalt off.

Pumpkins love salt :)

• Like 2

Sure dig it In without washing the seasalt off.

Pumpkins love salt :)

even add extra sacks of salt and chlorine from the pool shop.

Don't forget to balance the salt with pepper tho..

so it's like that huh?

the smack is gettin up to Turkish grade already!

• Like 4

Im not thick you know...

You guys suck, fair play is out the window

• Like 7

Dont u worry WB i'll be bringing it like u've never seen it brought before

• Like 2

I'm grinning....there can be only one.

If your getting some rain BF leave it spread out for a bit to leach it. I'd probably compost it....