The Corroboree
El Presidente Hillbillios

Giant pumpkin contest!!

No haven't taped it yet - may do, may not...dunno.

I should have dated the pollination.... somewhere between 15 and 25 days I suppose ('bout 20 me thinks)... I think my climate will give me a bit longer on the vine.

Just done the foundation for the set on the 2nd vine :wink:

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 1

Dats one ugly freakin beast of a pumpkin.

• Like 2

I think hb grew a butternut

• Like 2

Here's the 2nd vine set for the interested and frustrated...lol

much different shape

DSCF9450_zps99d500c6.jpg

• Like 4

they are really long, watch the short stem on that one make sure to allow the vine to lift as the pumpkin gets big, they can snap themselves from the vine sometimes.

• Like 1

yeah they are very long (and ribbed for your pleasure...lol) on that vine....I think it will be an ugly one. I've already

cut the rooted sections off on both ends of the stem near it.

A cup may also help with the perspective of No.1. I think this one is gunna be pretty....

I've kept ramping some sand under the blossom end to keep it even.

In for another epic weather week...will be able to hear it growing I reckon

DSCF9453_zps6b23cc27.jpg

• Like 5

getting bigger :wink: and its gunna get warmer over the coming days

getting a bit more confident now I am gunna bring it now stillman...lol

• Like 2

that is going to get very large very quickly.

Its still 2 vines then...it's like attempting to cut my critical appendage....just can't do ...looks like It will be a two pumpkin from the roof shot that will be my last legacy in the 2013/2014 ...the season that inspired bards and restored a nations faith that Australians can grow big and grow hard.

No 1 has decided to go fat on the vine end...lol...its like a surge of grow pushing towards the blossom end...It is spinning out mini-me ....he is convinced that sorcery is involved.

DSCF9462_zps8315efbd.jpg

• Like 10

That is looking awesome, vine looks healthy, is that shape from what they call "Dill Ring"? I think really heavy ones sometimes get it. That's going to go heavier then mine you got about another 20 days of growing in that maybe more due to the cool climate factor. How much water you hitting it with? I was feeding mine 100 litres a day at its peak.

Yeah Stillman, it looks like it may be a dill ring from what I can gather, there is no way surely the blossom end is going to even out the middle now. However I can't really see a pattern to growth, everyday the growth pattern is different.

If its going fail me Its likely it will crack out around the "ring". At least 100L/day....been a few days I probably pumped 350L+ onto it...I am using the cracks in the surrounding clay as the guide....no cracks just enough...cracks opening have not given enough.

Been a cooler week....heading into the 30s again this week with warm nights....strange summer....humidity is very low which is helping keep the vine healthy....but its sucking water out of the ground.... the past three weeks I wake up to a "cloud" coming off the dam below us.

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 5

I would of thought you would of had two pumkings as they are better than one :wink:

Awesome patch dude . What facing slope is it or is it on a flat

• Like 1

3 to 5 degrees , facing south-west and downslope to dam....not ideal facing ....but it cops sun most of the day ( ...and fckn wind) Red. There a lot more to the second vine now, when the second one comes on this old fcker will give you all an aerial view.

Two is always better than one, unless your Incog where one would be better than none...lol :wink:

• Like 3

Yah

I think it's time to relinquish the title.

At least I have the memory of that sweet, sweet victory over hb, plus I've passed nuggets bigger than his butternut :P

Seriously awesome effort guys. It's been both entertaining an interesting to watch.

Edited by incognito

for the record, you never ever beat me in pumkin growing, arm wrestling or nude forest wrestling

• Like 5

So what was it you were doing with the molasses Stillman?

I may have a fruit set, although I'm not certain how (part of me suspects it was pollinated by a zucchini flower lol) ... After I got back from a weekend away I noticed this one had grown slightly

post-8023-0-24555200-1391054853_thumb.jp

post-8023-0-55296800-1391054884_thumb.jp

WB, whys that one for me? U showin off?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Ceres
  • Like 1

^lol....just shit stirring mate :wink: ...looks like you may have game on

Now back to the usual nonsense from WB, I bring on No 1...looking like a butternut on 'roids

DSCF9474_zps37b89ca6.jpg

DSCF9475_zps52b4c4a6.jpg

• Like 2

Lol, stir away WB, I no mind :) I'm probably just too much of a simpleton to get it tho hehe

Unusual nonsense is my favourite kind of nonsense..

Wow, very impressive dude, taking off at lightning speed, no wonder mini-me is contemplating the involvement of sorcery.

This is gonna be interesting to observe further.

Edited by Ceres

Looking good WB

Ceres I add molasses to the water when I foliar spray or when I water, about 100ml to a 20 litre bucket or a tbls spoon to 3 or 4 litres of foliar spray. Is good stuff.

• Like 2