The Corroboree
Seldom

What do you get from entheogens that's not available anywhere else?

Comparing the way I thought about entheogens 2 years ago with how I see them now, I have to say I have a substantially different view. I've had a lot of wild trips ranging from a fall into temporary (felt like permanent) insanity, to kissing good ol' God on the cheek, and most things in between.

for some reason i don't really want to take them anymore. i don't think it's a generalisably superior attitude, it's just how I feel. to rephrase Bowie i feel i got the message, and something inside me, which i suppose didn't even involved any intention, has hung up the phone.

I'm just interested in hearing opinions. i know i have been a bit of a jerk to people on here sometimes, but i promise if you respond i will answer you in a non-abusive way.

Peace,

• Like 3

This is the way that entheogens are i think. Once you've learned what you need to it isn't neccessary to keep taking them unless your goal is to be a true shaman or terrence Mckenna. That being said it may take some people different periods of time to have their doors of perception opened perminantely & some people will never learn shit & just like the pretty colours & laughing fits.

A rare few can take entheogens for their entire lives & keep building on their knowledge & understanding of life & the universe.

This number is far smaller than some people would like to believe.

I reached my quota quite some time ago.

• Like 5

this is how i felt about 10 years ago. but ten years on i think i'd like to see again what that 10 years has brought to the table, so to speak.

but they're illegal so i can't.

stupid gubbermint.

also never be so arrogant as to think you've learnt everything.

• Like 3

Not sure if that last statement was aimed at me or just a statement in its self.

I have definitely not learnt everything. I have however learnt the limit of what I feel I am able to comfortably live with.

I do not wish to go deeper, at least not at this point in my life.

• Like 3

it was just a general, not directed at anyone in particular, or anyone at all.

I must admit the thought of ayahuasca or smoking any form of dmt terrifys me now. Mushrooms now send me into a loop of what I can only call terrifying insanity. I to think ur had my fill in that dept. the occasional mesc trip while I'm in Sth America on Holidays is all I can name as beneficial to my physical and mental health.

There's always time for bulbs though.

My work lies in THIS reality.

• Like 1

My names "Bill from townsville" and this one time I was in a "foetal vortex" on the dining room floor when i spotted a fifty dollar note wedged under the fridge if it hadnt been for entheogens i may never have spotted it.......CAAAfuckinCHING!!!!

• Like 10

revisit after some time if you need to take some clutter out, or meditate for at least 30 mins a day every day,... that is how I see it. Important to have a good look on the inside every now and then.

• Like 5

also never be so arrogant as to think you've learnt everything.

This also apllies to the use of entheogens.

• Like 2

Word mycot.

Careful about incriminating yourselves folks.

:)

Q. What do you get from entheogens that's not available anywhere else?

A. guidance

• Like 1

A. More than one can describe. :)

Edited by Mycot

Fear. A deep mortal terror based on the realisation that my reality is entirely the construct of my mind...such a fragile thing really. And I don't just mean this in the like-banging-my-head-against-a-wall-so-good-when-it-stops kind of way. The changes that this kind of experience provoke can be deep and long-lasting: "Where the fear has gone there will be nothing, only I will remain".

That said, sanity can only take so much pure naked reality at a time. I'm not saying that I actually recommend terrifying levels of introspection - for most people, most of the time, it is going to be a Bad Idea. Recreational experiences, or no exposure to entheogens at all, would probably be more rewarding. But I like being reminded every once in a while. :)

• Like 2

still blows my mind wide open.

i like to contemplate reality, like building model universes in my head, using science and spirituality as building blocks, along with anything else that fits. psychedelics always give me new perspectives on those models, which i can comprehend in varying degrees depending on the occasion. it's not all detached observation and contemplation of course, some of those observations come from direct experience of a reality, of a self, that is much more explicit than the the typical experience of reality and self.

rarely have i felt compelled to take them, usually it's more of a kind of self-flagellation like in the post above this, the kind that you can't pussy out of once you've initiated.

curious behaviour indeed.

i really, really, don't understand psychedelics or anything.

delving into any earthly unknown doesn't offer an equivalent mystery. equivalent treasures of apprehension may not be there for the taking. yet the risk to life and limb, and the requirements in cost and preparation will be greater. therefore tripping is like going on an adventure of discovery, and you can count yourself goddamn sure that you'll go where no man has gone before.

post-3543-0-54558800-1370787399_thumb.jp

3Wlkh.jpg

3Wlkh.jpg

• Like 4

Some cultures have used entheogens on frequent basis and as part of the culture their use may be by most adults.

Our culture not only has little framework for their use but is largely also positively against their use.

Its not very deep or profound but entheogens opened my mind to the beauty in EVERY fleeting moment of the relatively short time i have on this physical plane.

But at the same time they also made me all too aware of the amount of time I waste and all the beautiful moments I miss because of ridiculous imaginary walls i put up around myself everyday.

entheogens showed me all this very quickly

These insights could maybe have come to me from meditation, but im not very good at quieting my mind

They could maybe have come to me from many sessions of counseling..but i dont much fancy that

They could maybe have come from time spent creating artistically..but im not very arty.

If it wasnt for entheogens I may never have hugged a tree...thats the moment where it all changed for me :)

Edited by glimpse
  • Like 2

what do you get from entheogens that is available anywhere else?

yeah there's some crossover but nothing else is a trip. i've had meditation induced spiritual experienced, bedtime hallucinations including colourful spinning mandalas, absorbed psychedelic sights and sounds, read about this, contemplated on that.

for sure a serious mystic might say that the same experience can be had without drugs, or that the experience without drugs is far more valuable or worthy, but i have to plainly say that for myself entheogens are a unique and uniquely powerful medium but results do vary for others.

Comparing the way I thought about entheogens 2 years ago with how I see them now, I have to say I have a substantially different view. I've had a lot of wild trips ranging from a fall into temporary (felt like permanent) insanity, to kissing good ol' God on the cheek, and most things in between.

for some reason i don't really want to take them anymore. i don't think it's a generalisably superior attitude, it's just how I feel. to rephrase Bowie i feel i got the message, and something inside me, which i suppose didn't even involved any intention, has hung up the phone.

I'm just interested in hearing opinions. i know i have been a bit of a jerk to people on here sometimes, but i promise if you respond i will answer you in a non-abusive way.

Great thread :)

I don't think there is much I get from entheogens that I couldn't get anywhere else.

But for me they are a one-stop shop of fascination, whether I choose to partake or not. And I so rarely partake, because I am more interested in the other aspects around them- social, scientific, sustainability, medicinal, ecological, personal focus and clarity... you name it. So much to learn. If I spent all that time actually using them I don't think I'd have much left to be systematic about the other things that make them cool too

• Like 4

I haven't used any at all. It's the symbolism and meaning behind it all that fascinates me.

r u ok????? jokes

To me entheogens are catalysts (using the chemistry definition - actually look if up if you can't recite the definition, watch some YT videos to get a feel for how they work). There is nothing they bring that can't be achieved through some combination of questions, contemplation, time, experiences, ideas and peace and chaos. But as any chemist knows, there are certain reactions that take forever without the catalyst, or don't even proceed at all under some conditions (e.g. if your life is very busy, and you have a stressful life, that might be a condition in which the reaction is not favourable to begin). To bring about the changes that entheogens can help catalyze, one might need to spend years of time dedicated solely to self-improvement (monks for example). While these changes and thoughts can be had in a few sessions of entheogeny where one integrates new knowledge and has a strong mindset that is continually developed and practices in normal life too. I feel that they are a strong tool - just as we could do some things without tools, using tools saves a lot of time and effort, and the results are more or less the same.

I should add that they are still extremely precious to me, even though I've just analytically described them. :)

Edited by CβL
  • Like 6