The Corroboree
Amazonian

Phone / Tablet apps.

Gawd all this "Google has yr wifi " stuff reminds me that I need to hack my tablet and install something like ClockWorkMod as the OS

http://blogs.computerworld.com/android/22806/google-knows-nearly-every-wi-fi-password-world

I had another tablet running CWMod on it, but my goddamn finger slipped when installing something and I bricked it. Didn't want to risk the new tablet til I got back from travelling

I resent- resent-resent the total control Google has over the Android OS installed on it, and Google's and every other spying app piece of shit that phones stuff home and fuck knows what else. I've removed various permissions where I can, to the point of making some apps unworkable

But fuck it, I paid for the damn thing, that gives me the right to opt out and hack. I didn't fork over dosh to be a part of their dataset every time I switch the fucking thing on

Of course changing the OS doesn't mean I'm free from hacking and general trickery- the internet is built entirely on trust. Even if you go totally open source and compile your own software while wearing a tinfoil hat- you still need to trust your compiler ;) But anything I can do to own my own data is a good start

Shoulda bought one of the OSS ones, like Pengpad or summat, but the postal and wait time didn't fit into my timeframe. Serves me right

Edited by Darklight

Did you mean Cyanogenmod DL ?

Clockworkmod is the recovery sytem that you use to put the phone into maintenance mode and you load it at boot time by pressing a combination of buttons - pwr & volume up or down ect.

I root all my androids too and normally run a custom rom (operating system) like Cyanogen mod.

After I root them I push busybox to them with ADB and then Superuser and after that I install Rom Manager which gives me acces to Clockworkmod so I can install new roms. Then I install droidwall, Titanium backup & Ad free

• Like 1

Did you mean Cyanogenmod DL ?

Yes, yes I do. I hate it when I try to sound all intelligent and shit then open my mouth

No need to thank me, I'll be here all week

Sally do you have a favourite reference or site you've referred to to get root on your tablets ( I still can't say that shit without smiling, stoopid 'Mericans ;) )

I've seen quite a few sites all with diff instructions for the same tablet. I tend to favour xda-developers or whatever they're called, but the discussions go on for ages. Given that the prospect of failure can include a bricked tablet beyond repair I'd be more confident with clearer instructions and lower signal/noise

It's an easy slip of the tongue to make. It's a steep learning curve and you come across endless acronyms and names while reading about rooting phones, it certainly gets a bit confusing.

Yeah I always start at XDA and normally end up with 10-15 tabs open in my browser reading through those epic threads. I always search elsewhere but I normally end up back there.

It normally comes down to a few simple steps

1 Getting the appropriate ADB driver for your device

2 Finding the right batch script to root the device (sometimes not easy because of the myriad of different devices and differences in international model numbers an names ect)

If you have the ADB pack installed you can do it all manually but ADB needs a ton of other stuff installed before it can work so that can be a bit of an epic too.

I've had a few devices that I couldn't find ADB drivers for, so for them I end up using superoneclick which will typically fail to root the device but it will install a functional ADB driver for the device. Then I run a batch script that roots the phone or do it manually with ADB.

I've haven't bricked any so far and I've done seven of them but I don't buy phones I use other peoples throw offs, so I'm not too concerned if I fuck one up.

• Like 1

First off, let me start with mentioning that many of the apps I use require a rooted device.

• Orbot - doesn't require root as such but there are certain options which do require it:
    Orbot is for Tor on mobiles - you simply open the app, touch the big onion button, and wait a minute. Then you can browse freely.
    There is also an option for root users to force ALL applications on the device to proxy their traffic through orbot and thus be proper anonymous.
  • ROM manager - a must have for Custom Recovery, mods, backing up images etc.
  • Vignette - Decent camera app with more functionality than stock.
  • DSP Manager - Good app for sound settings i.e. graphic equalizer
  • Evernote - Good software for keeping notes, with page scanner camera function so you can search through text in picture etc
  • SSH Droid (root only) - Turn it on and allows you to SSH into your phone\tablet. Also handy as you can use SFTP to upload and downloads
  • SetCPU (root only) - Good app to change CPU speed. I do this for powersaving. You can get serious and set up temperature controls so if you overclock for performance it'll turn it down if overheating. You can also make it so you turn the process right down when screen is off to conserve battery, or just have it auto turn down when battery gets to certain level.
  • Battery Calibrator (root only) - Good to do every now and then for optimum battery readings\performance.
  • Swiftkey - Intuitive keyboard. Swipe typing option.
  • Air Droid - allows you to connect to airplay devices to stream music to them.

And CM is fucking dope. Been playing around with the dev version of Ubuntu touch as well lately on Nexus 7 - looks promising.

Also for those Windows users you don't need anything more than Odin + the right file to flash in order to root the device. I use ADB and Fastboot but I've only got Linux machines running atm.

Also it's not that difficult to unbrick phones if you flash the wrong image for your phone\tablet model - Anybody screws it up I've got good practice fixing failed flashes of friends so PM me.

• Like 1

I had the most perfect 8" early Galaxy tab a mate gave me, completely pwned it. The case around it was really old but I left it on anyhow for travelling

Ran like a dream. I'd ditched an iPad which was my first tablet, cos the OS was completely incompatible with everything I owned, but the Galaxy was a great little unit and meshed seamlessly

While installing a new kernel on it one night the side of the case broke away and my finger slipped to the wrong button. Bricked it. Sent it off to Roadhound in SYD and they told me it needed a completely new ( damn I can't recall the name of the part this early,,, memory board? brain? damn ) anyhow needed $400 spent on it

Here's a pic of where it's stuck, flashing the image on and off when the magic charging power string is plugged in:

tn_gallery_12_7_2018.jpeg

Broke my little heart it did. Am a bit hesitant to try flashing my new tablet cos I need to do so much research to do it. Only running Linux and the package I need to flash it with is Heimdall, which has a lot less documentation around it and assumes a much higher level of knowledge than I have

So yeah, would love any support on this anyone can offer. And Indigo, I've PM'd you about my old Galaxy, I'd love it to be saved if it can be

Edited by Darklight