The Corroboree
Yeti101

Disappointing ABC story on 'shrooms

http://anonym2.com/?http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-16/magic-mushrooms-promise-long-trip-to-prison/4695012">www.abc.net.au

Don't have time this morning to point out what is wrong with this story, will leave it to others to decide.

pretty alarming!!

i love brazillian food and there arent enough good brazillian chefs in australia as it is...dont start sending them to prison :(

^ pretty alarmist too

it shits me how the media keep linking anything to do with psychedelics to 'the sixties' it was over 40 frickin years ago....

and more to the point mushrooms have been used and revered by indigenous cultures for thousands of years! no mention of that in the report though

Edited by NegativeDave
  • Like 1

Disappointing. no mention of fixing cluster headaches, depression and the positive work done with terminally ill patients.

Looked like just a easy airtime filler, with lots of stock footage, and the usual talking head about drug danger.

So if heaps of people used them in the 60"s and the rate of people using psychedelics has skyrocketed since 2007,

where are all the deaths and mental disasters ?

Surely we would have heard about a lot more train-wreaks by now.

And how does the health issues from this compare to the sanctioned use of alcohol and tobacco.

Every week there are news stories from fucked up kids on alcohol.

Eugh, media.... Uneducated peoples opinion on drugs is kind of sad "If it's illegal then it's bad for you"

To be honest, in my area high school kids have moved away from mushooms, they're all doing pills and md. The mushroom phase kind of finished around 2-3 years ago for high schoolers (well in my area).

Eugh, media.... Uneducated peoples opinion on drugs is kind of sad "If it's illegal then it's bad for you"

Yeah man. Heard this same opinion on Thursday. "Why don't we let police have tasers and guns? If someone gets hurt from them then they shouldn't have been doing anything illegal".

This point of view is purely void based on the notion of what we call Mother Nature... They may be able to halt pot cultivation through monitoring/deception but good luck with a fungus, ya wankas!!

• Like 1

The most disappointing part of the article is Paul Dillon's comments - he seems to be generally relatively educated/credible/well-informed when it comes to drugs.

Is anyone aware of any credible evidence of physical harm from consuming Psilocybe spp? I have not heard any..

• Like 2

If you think thats bad wait for the story 60 minutes is apparently doing on the kid who died in South American at the Aya retreat. That should be well balanced...

The most disappointing part of the article is Paul Dillon's comments - he seems to be generally relatively educated/credible/well-informed when it comes to drugs.

Is anyone aware of any credible evidence of physical harm from consuming Psilocybe spp? I have not heard any..

It has it right in the article

Drug educators say the possibility of prison terms should be conveyed to users alongside health warnings about the drug.

:P

• Like 4

Nature is not illegal. Simple as that.

• Like 3

Its just modern media's last fable attempt to get viewers. I think the only reason they busted him is because he was a diplomats

son and he was probably doing harder drugs. Would love to see a copy of the warrant and the grounds for search not just

"oh someone dogged me" . Maybe they traced it through customs he said he been growing them for the past year.

There is a lesson here for use all " loose lips sink ships'

My favourite part is all the footage of non-Psilocybes with warpy effects. Are those rusty ones Galerina??

• Like 1

My favourite part is all the footage of non-Psilocybes with warpy effects. Are those rusty ones Galerina??

Gotta love stock footage! I'm still used by two networks in the Riverina several times per week from the stock archives... Classic setup burglary and (tobaco) bong scenes... It was the most fun the camos I knew had working those networks, shooting funning stock footage!

i bet leigh sales would be the first to get down to business with a belly full of shrooms

• Like 2

I'm curious to know if anyone else put in an official complaint to the abc about this article. I did, quoting which terms of the code of practice were being broken. Got an automated response saying they'll get back to me about it.

Personally I reckon it's the ABC sniffing the political wind and trying to cover it's arse in the event of a govt change

Flying kites ( excuse mixing the metaphor ) to see how conservative attitudes and misreporting will get a response from the general public

Etc.

• Like 1

Maybe they needed to 'balance' some of the recent Radio National and JJJ stories concerning Ayahuasca.

• Like 1

Did anyone ever listen to Restoring the Balance? very funny triple J segment