The Corroboree
waterboy 2.0

Lepista nuda?

Question

Stomping around today and this caught my eye. The lilac hue is what drew me to it, photo doesn't do it justice.

So out with the foil, and spore print comes out whitish. EDIT - transfer to paper gives a light pinkish....which is more in character.

Lepista nuda ? - I heard something about wood blewits spreading across aus., its a first for me on the home range and appears there are a few about.

DSCF8149_zps2e233c9d.jpg

DSCF8147_zps997a865e.jpg

DSCF8148_zpsbba5819f.jpg

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 3

supposed to be quite easy and doable, but I am a no-knower in culti of mushrooms. some guy in greece has done it

and the mycelium takes purplish colours, so it should be a delight to attempt to grow it!

• Like 2

someone put this up a while back: http://www.acbx41.com/article-31923831.html

cultivation of blewits in french

my french is pretty rusty...looks like it's very similar to button cultivation. I wonder how necessary the peat casing is to get it to pin.

If it's as necessary as for buttons that's a deal breaker for me. I've seen enough peat wasted on mushroom cultivation for my lifetime! I'll have to dust off my culture and see how it grows

• Like 1

This guy sounds packed with blewit experience ..

.. interesting youtube channel too ..

Edited by mysubtleascention
  • Like 2

yup Tradd's got some great vid's! He's got some neat projects happening over there...a real wealth of info

Yeha Tradd's videos are pretty cool. I was thinking of just trying to make mega spawn using his 'blewit borrittos' technique rolling them in cardboard and then just stacking them in compost or other substrates to see which goes best.

bit more french cultivation

http://www.acbx41.com/article-31923831.html

and:

Stott, K. and A. Broderick. 1996. Response of Australian strains of the mushroom Lepista nuda to temperature and substrate. p. 476-479. In: J. Janick (ed.), Progress in new crops. ASHS Press, Arlington, VA.

Response of Australian Strains of the Mushroom Lepista nuda to Temperature and Substrate Karen Stott* and Andrew Broderick
  1. METHODOLOGY
    1. Isolates
    2. Temperature
    3. Substrate and Cold Shock
  2. RESULTS
    1. Isolates
    2. Temperature
    3. Substrate and Cold Shock
  3. CONCLUSION
  4. REFERENCES
  5. Table 1
  6. Table 2
Taxonomic classification of macrofungi is constantly changing as new species are discovered in North America, South Africa, and Australia. In Australia there are probably 3000 to 5000 species, most of which have not been properly described (Wood 1992). Improved techniques have enabled microscopic details to be better researched and this has resulted in changes in taxonomic classification.

The recent increase in consumption of wild mushrooms in many countries has provided the impetus to explore new sources of edible mushrooms. In addition, the wild harvesting of edible mushrooms must be curbed to ensure that the environment and ecosystems where these mushrooms grow are not destroyed. Mycologists need to explore new mushroom sources (Purkayastha and Chandra 1985) and develop cultivation techniques.

Worldwide there are 200 edible fungi of which only 25 species are widely accepted as human food and are cultivated (Hashioka and Arita 1978; Chang 1981; Pathak 1986). Fungi other than Agaricus bisporus represent about 30% of world production (Olivier 1991). The influx of migrants with a European heritage into Australia has created a demand for edible mushrooms produced locally. Amongst the gilled fungi, there are a number of edible species in the Agaricaceae, Bolbitiaceae, Lepiotaceae, and Tricholomataceae.

The fungus Lepista nuda, Tricholomataceae (syn: Tricholoma nudum, Rhodopaxillus nudus, Clitocybe nuda) is found in Europe, the Americas, and Australia. It has an international reputation as an excellent edible species and the combination of its lilac color, solid fleshy structure, good shelf life, flavor, and aroma makes the development of commercial cultivation techniques highly desirable. Developing techniques for commercial cultivation requires a detailed understanding of environmental and nutritional parameters which optimise vegetative growth and induce fruiting bodies.

The development of an appropriate substrate requires the chemical, physical, and biological conditioning of composted matter. This creates an environment selective for a particular species that is critical for fruit body production. Factors to be considered in the substrate are microbial activity, physical characteristics, pH, chemical components, aeration, water content, substrate composition, and extent of composting undergone by the substrate. Some species require the application of a casing layer of peat or soil to enhance yield and quality. Casing assists the induction of fruit bodies, but how this occurs is largely unknown. It is thought that casing provides a high water holding layer for hyphae, entraps volatiles released by compost, has a different mycoflora to the substrate, and physically supports the growing fruit body. The physical and chemical characteristics, optimal depth and number of applications for a given casing material can be different for each species. Temperature, light, O2 , CO2 , watering and care must be managed to encourage fruit body formation. Previous studies on substrate requirements of European Lepista (Vaandrager and Visscher 1981) indicate that fruit body production is enhanced by the addition of 10% uncomposted straw to commercial Agaricus compost. Guinberteau et al. (1989) and Brian et al. (1979) reported that a cold shock is essential for the formation of fruit bodies of L. nuda and temperatures of 8° to 15°C have been found to be effective. However Australian isolates (Young 1994) have been found under more variable environmental and substrate conditions than European isolates (Moser 1978, Breitenbach and Kranzlin 1991).

The objective of the present study was to provide the Australian mushroom industry with viable commercial cultivation techniques for Australian species of Lepista. This paper describes Australian forms of L. nuda isolated from the wild and examines the effect of temperature and substrate on hyphal growth and fructification.

METHODOLOGY IsolatesUnder Australian conditions Lepista appears in the wild from April to July. Isolates of Lepista were collected from various sites and voucher documentation, identification, and isolation of strains was carried out. Most isolates were confirmed as L. nuda and comparisons were undertaken with French isolates of Lepista, provided by Dr. Guinberteau of Station de Recherches sur les Champignons at Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France (Table 1). TemperatureOptimum temperature for hyphal growth is a critical factor in obtaining rapid colonisation of substrate and casing. Isolates were selected from locations with different temperature and environmental characteristics to enable comparison with French isolates. Growth response of four Australian (A1, A2, A3, A4) and four French (F1, F2, F7, F8) isolates of L. nuda from warm (A1, A2, F1, F2) and cool (A2, A3, F7, F8) climates were compared at different temperatures to determine maximum and minimum temperatures for hyphal growth.

Isolates were grown on malt extract agar plus 2% yeast (MEAY) at 5°, 12°, 15°, 20°, 25° and 30°C. Radial growth of hyphae was measured on day 8 in two directions and the average taken. Data was analysed by analysis of variance.

Substrate and Cold Shock Agaricus compost alone or suplemented with 10% uncomposted cereal straw (w/w) was inoculated with Lepista at 2%-3% w/w. Trays were sealed and placed at 25°C in a cabinet with temperature and light control. After 12 days substrate was cased with a 75% moisture content 50/50 mix of blond/dark peat. After hyphae had grown through casing, lids were loosened to allow air movement over substrate and cold shock of 12° or 15°C was applied to replicates of both substrates. RESULTS IsolatesThe location and environment of selected isolates are shown in Table 1. Cool climate isolates (4° to 25°C during growing season) were found in leaf litter under Rhododendron, Cedrus deodara, Quercus suber or grass (Poa pratensis). Basidiocarp very robust and fleshy, lilac to lilaceous brown; pileus 75-132mm, lilaceous brown, shiny, convex to shallow convex with age; stipe 50-78 mm x 25-33 mm.

Warm climate isolates (8° to 35°C during growing season) were found in Kikuyu (Pennisetum) and Couch (Cynodon dactylon) grass in groups or rings. Basidiocarp strong lilac to lilaceous brown; pileus 30-75 mm, strong lilac, shallow convex with umbo at all stages; stipe 65 mm, bright lilac to deep lilac or lilaceous brown.

TemperatureThe optimum temperature for Australian isolates was found to be higher than for French isolates as was the minimum growth temperature. The growth rate of Australian isolates is more than double the rate of French isolates at all temperatures except 5°C (Table 2). Substrate and Cold Shock The addition of 10% uncomposted cereal straw encouraged hyphal growth, but discouraged the initiation of fruiting bodies and was not beneficial to Australian isolates. A cold shock of 12°C encouraged more hyphal aggregations than 15°C. No fruit bodies were produced. CONCLUSIONAustralian isolates differ from overseas isolates morphologically in shape, form, and size. They are found at different temperatures and in different environments than European species. Whether they are new species or varieties resulting from the Australian environment and habitat has yet to be determined.

The response of Australian isolates to temperature indicates that these isolates have the capacity to colonise substrate more rapidly than French isolates. This would be advantageous to commercial growers as cropping time could be reduced.

The addition of 10% uncomposted straw to Agaricus compost had no beneficial effect on the initiation of fruit bodies. Whether it would effect quality or yield is unknown and further research into this area is recommended.

Information from this study can provide the basis for the development of viable commercial cultivation techniques for the exotic mushroom industry in Australia. The differences in cultivation requirements and growth rates of Australian and French strains indicates that a shorter production cycle than is currently achieved with French isolates will be possible.

REFERENCES
  • Brian, C., J. Guinberteau, and L. Priobe. 1979. Obtention de fructification du pied bleau, Rhodopaxilus nudus (Fr. ex Bul.) en conditions artificielles. Academie d'Agriculture de France--extrait du proces-verbal de la Seance du 14 Nov. 1979. 1365-1369.
  • Brietenbach, J. and F. Kranzlin (eds.). 1991. Fungi of Switzerland, Vol. 3. Boletes and Agarics 1st part. Edition Mykologia, Lucerne, Switzerland. p. 214-216.
  • Chang, S.T. 1981. Mushrooms and mushroom science. Mushroom Newsletter for the Tropics. 1:3.
  • Guinberteau, J., J.M. Olivier, and M.R. Bordaberry. 1989. Données récentes sur la culture des "pieds bleus" (Lepista sp.) PHM Revue Horticole. 298 (June-July) 17-22.
  • Hashioka, Y. and I. Arita. 1978. Mushroom Science X (part II). Naturalization of several saprophytic mushrooms under rice-straw-culture. p. 127-135. In: J. Delmas (ed.), Proc. Tenth Int. Congress on the Science and Cultivation of Edible Fungi, France 1978.
  • Moser, M. 1978. In: G. Kibby (ed.), Keys to Agarics and Boleti (Polyporales, Boletales, Agaricales, Russulales. Roger Phillips. London. p.118.
  • Olivier, J.M. 1991. Champignon comestibles et diversification. Mushroom Info. 4:20-21.
  • Pathak, N.C. 1986. Utilization of natural mushrooms flora. p. 43-57. In: M.C.
  • Nair and S. Balakrishnan (eds.), Beneficial fungi and their utilisation. Symposium of the Mycological Society of India, held at the College of Agriculture, Vellayani, Trivandum. Feb. 1984. Scientific Publishers, Jodhpur, India.
  • Purkayastha, R.P. and A. Chandra. 1985. Manual of Indian edible mushrooms. Today and Tomorrow's Printers and Publishers, New Delhi.
  • Vaandrager, M. and H.R. Visscher. 1981. Experiments on the cultivation of Lepista nuda, the wood blewit. p. 749-760. In: N.G. Nair and A.D. Clift (eds.), Proc. Eleventh Int. Scientific Cong. on the Cultivation of Edible Fungi, Australia, 1981. Sydney. vol. 11.
  • Wood, A. 1992. Another look at Australian mushrooms. Alumni Papers, Univ. New South Wales. Mar./Apr./May. p. 14-16.
  • Young, T. 1994. Common Australian fungi--A naturalist's guide. Univ. New South Wales Press. Sydney.
*Thanks to the Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation for scholarship funding; INRA-Bordeaux for cultures; N.G. Nair and R. Tolson for supervision.Table 1. Location and environment of Lepista isolates at time of fruiting. Country Strain Location Environment Australia A1, A4 New South Wales Warmz A2, A3 New South Wales Cooly France F1 Landes Warmx F2 Gironde Warmx F7 Pyrenees Coolw F8 Haute Alps CoolwzMaximum temperature 24°C, minimum temperature 8°C
yMaximum temperature 20°C, minimum temperature 4°C
xAverage day temperature 14°C
wAverage day temperature 11°CTable 2. Response of Australian and French Lepista isolates temperature. Isolate Maximum radial
growth (mm2)z Optimal
temperature (°C) A1 32.6 25-30 A2 25.7 25 A3 24.7 30 A4 24.7 25 F1 12.7 22-25 F2 14.0 24 F7 13.0 22-24 F8 12.0 24-25 zAustralian isolates almost double hyphal growth of French isolates.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1996/v3-476.html#

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 1

So the Aussie Blewit grows twice as fast, but they couldn't fruit it?

Someone sent me an agar culture, hoping to revive it, but the agar has turned to soggy runny gloop. If it moves, I'll plate it up and spread it around.

• Like 1

Send it over mate if it does show life. I'm aiming to try out about 8 strains on all sorts of substrate mixes. Been a while since I've done these kinds of experiments and I'm excited!

• Like 1

Not sure how many days its been but noted germination at streak points in nine of 20 plates streaked with your print this morning. Contamination was low and was only minor greens and thankfully no oozes lol.

• Like 1

Its interesting that there is little data on how or whether this mushroom performs off lignious substrates which I find odd since every one I've found had wood debris or leaf matter attached to its mycelia.

there may be a bacteria relationship for pin setting (????).

Keeps us informed!

I would be more then keen for a culture

well its cooling off down here and my mind had come back to the blewits...lol

There a little way off, but its not much of a wait. I am keen to see if the stem butt inoculations I placed and flagged have taken.

I think I am going to have a red hot crack at the Blewit Bomb concept, knocked up a coupla cages for holding materials to innoculate.

This guy sounds packed with blewit experience ..

.. interesting youtube channel too ..

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=RCA0FOSJoW8

The dogwoods really suffered this year with lack of water, and dropped a huge load of leaf litter - more than I've seen in

recent years. I have no shortage of areas that should be able to support them.

Ive got four isolates from your Blewits waterboy *stupidly named 1A, Slow but pinner, bac (because it had bacteria initially and required some work to clean up) and fast strong pin). two of the four of these readily pin on agar. they usually stall about 80% on the plate, turn mild lilac from white and then pin or create large mycelial aggregates.

I have all of these growing on straight millet, rye grass seed, composted rye grass seed, manure, compost and wood chips and now supplemented leaf litter.

Both Lepista nuda and Lepista saeva seem to really prefer the composted rye grass in terms of colonisation.

Some pinning on cased compost with coco coir but no fruits yet.

The other isolates i got from other sources I discarded due to poor mycelial growth or refusal to pin.

• Like 1

I've been cunning and run that plate from you Zen to cardboard....it expands OK on the stuff.

My plan is to lay it out under dogwood clusters in thick leaf deposits.

Just getting it to pin is a win I reckon out of "the wild" :wink: Just a though I didn't see them until after a coupla frosts....

may be something to that, although not all the clusters were exposed enough to have frost lay over them - the frost prone areas did go to fruit first.

lol...hand up for a L.saeva in the future mate :lol: Got some improved grassland that may prove a useful site.

Edited by waterboy