The Corroboree
myco

Lophophora williamsii illegal in W.A.

this is fucked

:BANGHEAD2: :BANGHEAD2: :BANGHEAD2: :BANGHEAD2:

I hope this shit gets sorted in your favour myco

Edited by glimpse

qoute from the poisons act...that relates to the drug misuse act.

"prohibited plant means any plant from which a drug of addiction may be obtained, derived or manufactured, or such other plant as the Governor declares and is hereby authorised to declare from time to time to be a prohibited plant for the purposes of this Act; and includes any part of such a plant, except in the case of the plant Papaver somniferum, the non-viable seed of that plant; "

http://www.slp.wa.gov.au/pco/prod/FileStore.nsf/Documents/MRDocument:24808P/$FILE/PoisonsAct1964-09-d0-00.pdf?OpenElement

Take note...the latest amendment to this act was 1 May 2013.

Whether or not it was specifically the Quote above that was enacted I can't tell.

It would be worth a look at the other states, to see whether or not, there have been any similar amendments made in this type of vein.

Edited by space cadet swami

You'd need to back check each version of the act to see when it starts. It is worded the same all the way back to 2005.

maybe some media attention would be a good thing, the general public would be sympathetic to you myco im sure, especially if it was framed in a way to show the absurdity of the laws and their implications. Somebody needs to inform the wider cacti and plant collecting community of this to raise awareness and at least warn them that this bullshit is now being enforced.

• Like 4

Dude im so sorry to hear this ,,, my heart is overcome with sadness for you , how completely fucked. I know you had the awesome collection happening and your skills are right up there .

its becoming pretty obvious that its due to some packages confiscated by customs

although the officer denied this

If there was an issue with quarantine they should have dealt with it the usual way with a letter and confiscation of plants but not this .God the poor dears destined for the furnace NOOOOOOO! spewing mate :(

Edited by bℓσωηG

After reading the article the other day on the financial cost of enforcing illicit drugs in Australia (sorry I cant remember who posted it but it was a thought provoking article) So given how barnett and newman both seem to want to be tough on drugs I was wondering how they intend to pay for the extra costs?

Do they intend to raise taxes & levies? Not on industry obviously.

Or hope that the commonwealth will borrow more money to pay for their folly?

Perhaps they only ever intended to have a handful of high profile prosecutions for maximum PR effect with minimum damage to the budget?

Is there any point enacting laws that were never going to be properly enforced?

And when it would seem they have criminalized such a large portion of the population are they hoping to have the average punter move to the "Oh well we are crims now so we might as well act like crims" camp?

• Like 3

^

Blowng i think the protocol if you are caught importing something you shouldnt is to actually to send you the illegal material then notify the authorities so they can raid you and catch you with the material at home.

This is how it goes in nz anyway, years ago someone who worked at the dunedin botanical gardens ordered some cannabis seeds and they were stopped but sent through and then the whole of the gardens got raided.

Im very sorry to hear about this Myco. What a heartbreaking experience.

We all need to be taking this very seriously and be extra careful with what we import.

^ Blowng i think the protocol if you are caught importing something you shouldnt is to actually to send you the illegal material then notify the authorities so they can raid you and catch you with the material at home. This is how it goes in nz anyway, years ago someone who worked at the dunedin botanical gardens ordered some cannabis seeds and they were stopped but sent through and then the whole of the gardens got raided.

Yes i see ,that is a dodgy tactic.. i guess im having trouble understanding why the hell they're illegal in the first place ...It looks like the whole world is becoming one giant prison ,I just read the EU intends to criminalize nearly all seeds and plants not registered with government (veges)

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedlaw.html

Edited by bℓσωηG

More likely quarantine were probably aware of the upcoming changes (most likely though their association with the AFP) & passed on the intel to WAPolice, or to WAPolice via the AFP? either way same end result.

Hell government agencies aren't above holding onto goods until they become illegal before releasing them so the recipient can be nabbed. Not a common practice as far as i'm aware but it definitely has happened in the past.

The important thing to grasp here is the mind set of many in these authorities, in their eyes its not that Myco was a innocent until last month when the law changed, it was he was guilty all along but the law hadn't caught up so he could be officially nabbed.

Its this mindset that drives these new laws to go further & further. Which is just my observation over the years.

• Like 4

So sorry to hear about your loss myco. :(
I hope you're doing alright and that you can feel safer again soon.

Those absolute bastards. I think that as well as being careful about what we import - we need to remember that plants are safe when they are spread. Now is not the time to be precious with our rare plants, keeping them to ourselves - propagate and spread them if you want them to live.

• Like 5

Chin up Myco , dont let the suckers grind ya down , sending ya good vibes , Kia kaha!

Edited by bℓσωηG
  • Like 1

I just read the EU intends to criminalize nearly all seeds and plants not registered with government (veges)

http://www.realseeds...uk/seedlaw.html

so you know about monsanto/dupont/syngenta and gates foundation seed bank storing food etc. seeds, and now to find out the EU poses a law criminalizing such seeds unless a fee is paid. this world is a mistake. Edited by qualia
  • Like 1

so you know about monsanto/dupont/syngenta and gates foundation seed bank storing food etc. seeds, and now to find out the EU poses a law criminalizing such seeds unless a fee is paid. this world is a mistake.

Aye , bullshit man, i cant stand the way people just sit back and let these automatons pass law after law .

Edited by bℓσωηG
  • Like 1

maybe some media attention would be a good thing, the general public would be sympathetic to you myco im sure, especially if it was framed in a way to show the absurdity of the laws and their implications. Somebody needs to inform the wider cacti and plant collecting community of this to raise awareness and at least warn them that this bullshit is now being enforced.

Yeah, if anyone is a member of any other eth, cacti or gardening forum with cacti sections it may be good to post a link to this thread and get a gauge on the general cacti growing populations opinion on what has happened.

• Like 1

Can everyone keep in mind that Myco is in the midst of a legal battle and people should be careful of what they say in this thread about him, his collection and cacti in general.

Please avoid adding anything that could be used against him or used by the prosecution in their favour.

This very thread could be raised in court as evidence, if that is the case then even verbal slander or disrespect of the authorities would be unhelpful to his plight.

Edited by AndyAmine.
  • Like 11

Its hard to say what could and couldn't be used (or twisted) against him. I was about to point out that even lophs in early stages of growth would only contain negligible(and very early on none) amount of mescaline. Someone recently pointed out to me that in general people just don't consume lophs as there is too much love and time involved in growing them. Its predominately a collectors and connoisseurs cactus. Not a drug users one, despite the mythology.

• Like 2

Also, maybe people should consider joining some sort or related society such as the Cactus and Succulent Society of Australia. I know most of us take our collecting and collections seriously but if it ever came to proving that your in it as a collector rather than some sort of drug dealer or user then a long standing membership in such group may be beneficial? Just throwing out some thoughts as they come to me.

http://www.cssaustralia.org.au

Edited by simhanada
  • Like 3

God DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!!this is bad news.sooooo sorry this has happened to you Myco.what in fuck is wrong with this world........

im thinking about compiling as much information and evidence of these plants being sold all over Australia including in places like bunnings etc.

things such as getting nursery stock lists showing these plants listed for sale

perhaps even photo's of plants for sale in these places

anything that may help my case and show how widely available these things are

and how anyone can become a criminal from purchasing a plant from their local nursery

I do not want to affect anyone in the process though so im not to sure how to go about it

what do you guys think

• Like 6

Dude I got a scop from bunnings on weekend,mate got a tbm,yep a tbm from a west aus bunnings,a few days before and we all know they come from a massive supplier.

im thinking about compiling as much information and evidence of these plants being sold all over Australia including in places like bunnings etc.

things such as getting nursery stock lists showing these plants listed for sale

perhaps even photo's of plants for sale in these places

anything that may help my case and show how widely available these things are

and how anyone can become a criminal from purchasing a plant from their local nursery

I do not want to affect anyone in the process though so im not to sure how to go about it

what do you guys think

I think it could work...

...then again it could also backfire completely and end up having them removed from all of those stores also, if they're big enough dicks about it.

That's the danger,but touch one touch all I say

• Like 2

that's what worries me I don't want to be the one that brings down the entire Australian cacti community

like I say I don't want this to affect anyone including nurseries selling these things

but I don't want to just sit back and take what they give me in a way I feel like I need to fight this

• Like 2

Sorry to hear that bro, fuck that must suck.

I think you should go ahead with your idea with compiling a list of suppliers which supply these cacti. Just worry about yourself here man I don't think you providing a list of suppliers is going to be terrible for us all, at worst we just won't be able to get cacti from bunnings etc anymore. Somehow I really don't see this happening because once it starts encroaching on a businesses profits is when money will get poured in to stopping these sort of nonsensical laws which will only help our cause really. Plus when you goto court and it is shown just how widespread these cacti are then it'll demonstrate just how illogical and unenforceable these laws are. I'd include in this list not just the cacti but also the hordes of native, not to mention endemic, plants which are effectively illegalized by these laws.

I wish you the best of luck Myco!

• Like 5

^^^^What he said....this could have happened to any of us Myco.....