The Corroboree
endorfinder

Jasmonic acid, expressions of interest?

I've been looking into getting some jasmonic acid. It's a plant stress hormone, which can be used to force pest resistance in plants, increase secondary metabolism, and can be purportedly sprayed on ungerminated seed to induce pest defense after germination.

Turns out buying what I want for myself vs bulk makes a 200x price difference. Really. If there are 10-20 interested parties, or 5-10 very interested parties, I can arrange a great deal here. But my initial outlay will be heavy so I'll need some commitment :)

Edit: Post how much you're willing to throw into the pool and if we get close to $500 we can place an order, cheers. :) -ef

Edited by endorfinder

Pest resistance, huh? That might imply an increase of alkaloids, am I right? I wonder if there's research around about using this stuff to increase potency of certain medicinal herbs.

I need to raise about $500 for a pound, so ideally 10-100 people to put it in the affordable price range. The upper limit is realistically the number of bags I'm willing to weigh out. In comparison the 1g price is $200, so 25 people throwing in $20 would get each person what would normally cost $thousands in small qty. If there is enough interest there is the opportunity for a VERY good deal to be had.

Instead of saying you're in or out, nominate your price range. If we can find 25 people who will are interested but only if we get the numbers to cut the price down to $20 or $30 or however much for a portion, we each get what's probably a lifetime's supply.

I was asked about shelf life in a PM, sorry I haven't replied to it yet. I personally have no idea, but I expect if you keep it in a domestic fridge or freezer it will last a pretty long time (5-10 years minimum?), most plant hormones are best kept from heat and light but I just store mine in an aluminium baking tray covered in foil in the fridge. Powder can probably be kept almost indefinitely, but it's good practice to date stock solutions and replace them when they're >3 months old. If you get a cheap set of mg scales from aliexpress or suchlike you can probably largely get away with measuring exactly your desired quantity for dilution each time, but it's easier in the end to work from a known strength solution (eg for GA3, 2000ppm so mixing with 3 parts dh2o gives a 500ppm working solution).

Amber dropper bottles shield the solutions from light quite nicely.

SO:

I'm in for up to $50.

If you are curious, state your upper spending limit, even if it's $5.

I read a bit about this somewhere, but with a more "organic" approach of growing jasmine in close proximity to specific plants. I had no idea that purified jasmonic acid was available. Curious to hear results if yall are able to make a group purchase.

I'd consider getting in on this, but I'm not too keen on receiving packages of white powder (I assume it is at least white-ish) from over seas, not to mention additional shipping costs :rolleyes:

Kykeoin I can attach full info chem stickers to bags etc. I myself will be receiving this from OS and have zero concern, I have dealt with the vendor before and everything was very honestly and professionally labeled. But it's your call, I promise I won't send loose powder in an envelope ;)

$20

aye, I'll do $40.

Edited by Scarecrow

bump.

hi did you buy it? pm me please, im interested

I was asked about shelf life in a PM, sorry I haven't replied to it yet. I personally have no idea, but I expect if you keep it in a domestic fridge or freezer it will last a pretty long time (5-10 years minimum?), most plant hormones are best kept from heat and light but I just store mine in an aluminium baking tray covered in foil in the fridge. Powder can probably be kept almost indefinitely, but it's good practice to date stock solutions and replace them when they're >3 months old.

From the Sigma-Aldrich MSDS on (-) Jasmonic Acid

Storage:
Store in cool place. Keep container tightly closed in a dry and well-ventilated place. Containers which are opened must be carefully resealed and kept upright to prevent leakage.
Recommended storage temperature: 2 - 8 °C
So yeah, fridge storage is fine