The Corroboree
incognito

police predicament

a friend is having quite the hassle at the moment...

this place seems the bomb diggerty for such advice...

let me spin ye a tale......

a friend of mine was in a rural rental house on 1/2 acre.

he was renting through one rental agency for approx a year, everything went swimmingly, rent paid on time etc, rarely did he have an inspection.

anyways, out of the blue he receives advice from the real estate he was paying rent to that the owners have decided to go with a different real estate and gave us their contact details- this is where things go pear shaped.

Bare in mind this is very rural, and my friend rarely locked the house up when he left. ANyhow, the owners of the place rock up to his brother in laws shop with a folder of photos, depicting 3 mj plants in the backyard, a bong, some chop and empty baggies on his bedroom table. anyhow his bro-in-law is wtf? Owners advise bro-in-law that if my friend is not out within the week they are going to go to the cops.

Friend has had enough of this jazz and decides to move anyway, buying his own place, the house passes inspection just fine with the real estate. Local gossip dictates that some miners offered the owners an extra 70dollars rent per week, if they could rent it a month before this jazz took place. Im guessing the second real estate said to the owners they could get them more money dude to the mining boom.

In the course of the said jazz, my friend angrily rang the second real estate who advised they had sent out a letter regarding the impending inspection which my friend insists was never received. and anyways, why where the owners present? My friend however wasnt out in the 5 days they requested, and was obvious owners had been inside, who rang and abused his bro in law that there was still stuff in each room. Cleaning out a house in 5 days whilst working fulltime is no easy feat. 2 weeks have passed, and he has been pulled over twice by cops. Each time he has been asked if he has been in trouble with the police before and if he has ever had a drug convivtion, which he never has. \to go even further, the police ask him if he is buying or selling drugs, and if he has drugs in the car. what a fuken question! yes officer i am off to buy a pound, wanna follow me? He always offered the cops the chance to search the car, even opening the boot and bonnet for them to have a gander.

the undercovers where pretty cool. they said when they checked his licence on whatever the fuk is in there car to check on, that there is a suspicion that he is involved in drug trafficing. To which he lost his shit again, hes a professional, gets drug tested monthly and is a doting father. the undercovers apparently where pretty cool and where like "mate, we get this all the time, someones just gotta have it in for you and they can ring up and say you are involved in drugs, and this flashes when we do a license check"

my question is what can he do about this? this hardly seems fair? hes over the whole real estate thing, he never has to rent again, but this cop thing is just embarresing.

hes pondering that to spite him with the supposed photo evidence (there was never any physical evidence) they may have given his number plate details to the cops as well. The home owner is a well respected local figure. So maybee when a cop is behind him and his number plate comes up on the coppers whatevers inside their car, it flashes "suspected drug pusher"????

should he ring the cops and tell them hes suspicious that the owner is a kiddie fiddler who he saw driving slowly past a pre-school checking out the kiddies and give them his number plate number?

how can he stop this harrasment? he doesnt wanna cop asking him if hes a dealer when he has his small child in the car.

would changing number plates suffice?

Edited by incognito

His name would still be linked to a new numberplate, unless its registered under somone elses name. I don't think its legal for the owners of the rental property to enter without the tenant being present,,,surely not ?!

Shitty situation.

Edited by Amazonian

thats besides the point now re. owners and breaches of tenancy agreement.

the issue is how to have this "suspected drug dealer" or whatever removed from his file. so he doesnt have to go through this retardeness every time a copper is behind him.

i have a similar story, Friend got stopped and strip searched going into a music event a year or so ago. He admitted to smoking weed just before entry even though he wasnt carrying anything and he wasnt charged with anything.

The car he drives is not in his name and is in a business name. anyway, he got pulled up for a random licence check, all was good and he went on his way. The next day he got pulled up again and the car searched. This then happened a couple more times and he asked the cop what the go was. The cop said that that number plate was flagged as having drug issues and pretty much every time a cop car encountered his car he would probably be stopped and searched, even though it is not in his name and no way would it be due to previous history of the car.

There has never been any other issues with the police so this situation must be due to the music event, even though no charges were made.

i guess he should get new plate if it is flagged.

DRGDLR

• Like 5

Send a heap of Leaf and Tip to the real estate office or the ex rentals owners and tip them off to the cops....now thats just nasty.. :devil:

• Like 2

i really think its fucked ur plates can be flagged without any rock hard evidence. i mean those guys could have downloaded ganja plants and bongs of the net for all the po-po knew?

• Like 3

Get a notebook / diary. Every time he gets stopped, write it down and ask the police to sign. They won't know what the fuck is going on but they will be worried. The harrassment will stop eventually.

Above all, remain calm and polite.

• Like 8

he thought it was funny the second time, he asked the po-po what they had for sale.

• Like 1

A local copper told me if you get stopped for one of those random booze bus/ drug test & get asked if you have used drugs recently or in the past always answer NO, because if you are silly enough to say I have done but not anymore or thing similar to that you will be put on a list even if your clean at the time of the test!

I still to this day am trying to work out why he told me this?

• Like 1

"Just say NO?"

They have to say that, its part of the training. He probably got confused.

Drugs? Just Say NO!

• Like 2

A friend kept getting pulled over & harassed like this - turns out she had bought a 2nd-hand car with flagged plates, no one ever paid any attention to the rego/licence name. So yeah, it'd be a hassle, but switching plates (legally of course) could fix this. I don't know if there's any way to get unflagged - probably not - think she just ended up selling the car.

He was going to go to the local police station and enquire how to get this flag b.s removed, but then thought it may draw further pain-in-the-arsery.

I reckon he should just get new plates.

Moral of the story is, if u don't like someone fob them in as being affiliated with drugs to the po-po.

Whenever they have a cop driving behind them they will get pulled over and asked if they are buying or selling drugs.

WHY DO THE COPS ASK THIS? HAS ANYONE EVER SAID YES? Or are they reading body

Language?

Defimation of character and slander, invasion of privacy and breach of rental laws as far as i know, talk to a good lawyer and start a case, at least that way he can say no i am sewing someone for that peice of slander, this is crap, they are not allowed on the property without providing at least a weeks notice, pictures are completely not allowed unless it is of damage to the property, and the owners are not allowed to be there unless stated so in the letter informing you of inspection, just take them to court

• Like 1

• Like 1

Its a small town, im sure your mate knows where the owner lives. Go shove a sack full of leaf in their back shed and call the wallopers. They even have pics in the house of it growing that they show to their friends, you can tell em that too. All anonymously of course

• Like 1

He could make an application under the freedom of information act to aquire police notes about himself. There are obs exceptions to this, but in this case he should be able to aquire a copy of the alert placed on profile.

And/or write a letter to the COP (not any cop) requesting that the alert is removed.

He was going to go to the local police station and enquire how to get this flag b.s removed, but then thought it may draw further pain-in-the-arsery.

I reckon he should just get new plates.

The alert is likely attached to his name, not his car. Any vehicle listed as his or with a known assocition to him is likely to cause the same effect.

• Like 1

Torsten? Surely u have dealt with this shit before, was gonna call u but I've lost my phone a zillion times since I last had ur number. I mean my mate doesn't want to have his kid in the car and have to deal with this hoo-haa.

Eat foo that scares the shit outta my friend, that the alert is attached to the individual and not the number plates.

Of course it is. Was his car suspected to be growing illeagle plants. Of course not.

While the police are likely running something that works aswell as a search engine before the internet, dont kid yourself that everything is not documented and linked.

In WA Police are equiped with these handy gadgets that scan number plates as they drive. Wich instantly ping cars whos owner doesnt not hold a licence, stolen cars and your friend (and many more like him)

I will also add, that "talking to someone at the front counter of a polcie station" is a giant waiste of time. I would encourage him to put it in writing. Once he has sent a letter and continues to be harrased its MUCH easier to claim and prove harrasment.

Edited by eatfoo
  • Like 1

As far as I know, blackmail is illegal and could get the owners in a heap of trouble. Most rental agreements say that you are not going to use the property for any illegal purposes, so if they could prove that illegal activities were occurring on their property, they could get the person kicked out. But they can't get you to comply by using the threat of exposing your activities to the police. Photos taken by the owners aren't great evidence in and of themselves, so if the person were to keep a very 'clean' house, they could probably avoid any legal problems, while possibly getting the owners in trouble if they could provide evidence that they were being blackmailed. This would depend on how much heat the tenants were willing to attract, and it would be essential to talk to a lawyer first to be sure of what would be the best course of action. I'm assuming there is a free legal aid service in their state?

The landlord is required to provide 24 hours notice before entering your property, but is allowed to enter when you are not home. Unfortunately, the notice does not need to be sent by registered post, so the landlord can claim that notice was sent by regular post, and you won't be able to prove that this didn't occur.

As far as the harassment goes, I don't think I can add anything helpful to what's already been said. The main thing is that this person needs to document everything that happens.

Hmmm yeah I guess he just has to grin and bare it. He really can't be arsed nor has he the time to pursue legal action against the landlord. If he's got nothing to hide he has nothing to worry about...\ I guess...

Hmmm yeah I guess he just has to grin and bare it. He really can't be arsed nor has he the time to pursue legal action against the landlord. If he's got nothing to hide he has nothing to worry about...\ I guess...