The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mesqualero

Mushroom picking in my dreams

Guest Mesqualero

For the past five years ever since my first picking expedition I my most regular dream has been the mushroom picking dream.... everytime I have had a dream and decided to go picking I end up finding some...

This leads me to think that the Shrooms are fond of me...

anyone else have Shroom dreams?

What could their significance be in terms of shamanic/spirituality

dunno, dreams can be a tricky thing, the problem is, its mostly up to what veiwpoint you take...they aren't a science.

Some people believe that they can read dreams and that different signals in the dreams mean different things and by interpretation can give you guidence in the future, some believe (from a psychologists view) that everything you dream is in relation to your current emotional state, and that everything is related to you.

Then again, some people just believe dreams are the point at when we are unconcious so our imagination takes over instead of our logical conscious thought.

Personally I don't really know, I know my most recent dreams from as a far back as at least primary school (I'm first year Uni now) usually involve me running from someone and not being able to keep my balance, and not being able to open my eyes properly to see where I'm going, or a dream where my teeth and falling out (in that annoying way they did when you were losing baby teeth, how they'd still be connect to the route and would get caught on the side of your mouth and stuff), I don;t know what they mean, or if they mean anything at all.

oh, I forgot those special dreams when I was about 14-17 when I always woke up...ummmm... but that was explained to me in sex ed smile.gif

-bumpy

Guest Mesqualero

Yeah...I wasn't really meaning in a Psychologists perspective..more like a shamanical perspective smile.gif

this may mean that the mushrooms have chosen to become your plant/spirit helpers biggrin.gif

which means that the mushroom spirit has much power and knowledge to give you smile.gif

incidentally do u pick either 3 mushrooms

or a multiple of 3?

Guest Mesqualero
Originally posted by psycho0:

this may mean that the mushrooms have chosen to become your plant/spirit helpers biggrin.gif

which means that the mushroom spirit has much power and knowledge to give you smile.gif

incidentally do u pick either 3 mushrooms

or a multiple of 3?

I was thinking along those lines... psych0

To be quite honest i never stop to count the shrooms i pick smile.gif

Guest Methfreak

When it comes to picking shrooms i was always fond of Multiples of 10

Where is it that the tradition of picking them in threes comes from? I know I've come across it before. I've always understood pairs to be more efficacious, however. ('specially the strong ones!)

Mesqualero; have you ever considered changing your "nomme d'ethno-botanique" to something more fungal? The little ones seem to like you.

Guest Methfreak
Mesqualero; have you ever considered changing your "nomme d'ethno-botanique" to something more fungal? The little ones seem to like you.

Yeah I have I just can't think of an original one

i was more talking about how

your spirit helpers are meant

to appear in your dreams 3

difvferent times, or 3 different

angles

for you to realise that they

are your spirit helpers

quotes from my files>>

Several different species of mushroom can be used in the velada. All are psilocybin-bearing, and indeed Maria Sabina is documented as having been satisfied with the use of laboratory-synthesized psilocybin in one of her rituals. Mushrooms were typically taken in pairs, or threes, or perhaps fives -- a few pairs for a sick person or another participant; as many as thirty pairs for the officiating priestess herself. The entire fruitbody is consumed, as it was pulled up from the ground, "dirt and all" -- as Maria Sabina said, "if a piece is thrown away from carelessness, the children [ed. note: "children", along with "saint children" and "little things", are commonly used nicknames for the mushrooms] ask when they are working: "Where are my feet? Why didn't you eat me all up?" And they order: "Look for the rest of my body and take me." The words of the children should be obeyed."

--

Sacred mushrooms are placed on a banana leaf before personal preparations are made to ready oneself for the acceptance of the mushroom. Then the leader hands out the mushrooms in pairs, representing male and female pairs. These are eaten at one's own pace. The chemicals produce giddiness, hilarity, colored hallucinations, muscular relaxation, and serious moments of inquiry.

--

Wasson participated in a ska Maria ritual on July 12, 1961, the first non-Mazatec ever to do so. The fresh leaves of the plant were counted out in pairs and nibbled by the participants. Wasson was unable to chew them because of the extremely bitter taste, so 34 pairs were squeezed and the juice diluted with water and drunk. This procedure is often used for toothless people, with the leaves sometimes being ground on a metate, or grinding board. The effects of the plant--"dancing colors in elaborate, three dimensional designs"--were similar to the initial effects of mushrooms, but were "less sweeping, and lasted a shorter time." (Wasson 1962).

A more detailed description of a ska Maria ritual was given by Valds in 1983. Valds was given a "beginner's dose" of an infusion made from 20 pairs, while the other two participants each received 50 pairs. In keeping with Mazatec tradition, two people abstained to watch over the others. The curandero, or shaman, blessed the preparations with an oration addressed to "The Holy Trinity, Saint Peter, the Virgin Mary, and other Saints." The session lasted about an hour and was characterized by visions of kaleidoscopic shapes, colors, landscapes, and columns of smoke. In a later, less formal, ritual, Valds ingested an infusion of 50 pairs and experienced stronger visions, which were more "realistic" and lasted more than 2.5 hours.

---

The Mixe (Mijes) who always consume their mushrooms in pairs, referred to them as nwintson ahtom nashwin mush (our masters, the mushrooms of the world). When eaten thus (in pairs), the Mixe refer to this practice as casada. The Mixe have even named one species tu.m-t.um (Tu muh) for when the sacred mushrooms are picked each year on June 1st. Tu muh implies "that which sprouts by itself" i.e., without seed (also described by Maria Sabina in Wasson, 1980 as "that which springs forth").

---

The shaman chants for hours, with frequent clapping or percussive slaps on the thighs in rhythm with the chant. The first non-Indian psychic investigator to witness the Mazatec ceremony received six pairs of mushrooms in the ceremony and ate them. He experienced the sensation of his soul being removed from his body and floating into space. He saw "geometric patterns, angular, in richest colors, gold and onyx and ebony, extending beyond the reach of sight, in vistas measureless to man. The architectural visions seemed to be oriented, seemed to belong to the architecture described by the visionaries of the Bible." In the faint moonlight, "the bouquet on the table assumed the dimensions and shape of an imperial conveyance, a triumphant car, drawn by creatures known only to mythology.

---

The curandero unrolled banana-leaf bundles of hand-sized Salvia divinorum leaves, slightly wilted, and sorted them into pairs. Both mushrooms and leaves are measured in pairs, he told me, representing masculine and feminine. He doled out forty pairs to me, rolled them into a long wad, rather like a salad rolled into a cigar. He explained that after he said the invoking prayers and we stated aloud our intentions, I was to eat the leaves. I was told not to hesitate at their bitterness, not to stop until I had eaten them all, and above all, not to laugh throughout the entire session. Laughter, he counseled, would steal away the power of the medicine.

(from "Sisters of the Extreme: Women Writing on the Drug Experience")

[This message has been edited by coin (edited 27 September 2001).]

...and on the other hand, the Khanty of western Siberia believe it is unlucky to consume an even number of fungi (in their case, Amanita muscaria) and therefore always consume an odd amount...go figure.

[This message has been edited by A480 (edited 27 September 2001).]

Guest Methfreak
Originally posted by psycho0:

i was more talking about how

your spirit helpers are meant

to appear in your dreams 3

difvferent times, or 3 different

angles

for you to realise that they

are your spirit helpers

Well the last dream I had I walked out a cabin and it was full moon...and right in front of me there was a huge paddock of Panaeolus cyanescens... and the way the fullmoon reflected the light off the shooms made it look like they were glowing...I didnt pick them by threes in the dream...more like by the handful....

Guest Methfreak
Laughter, he counseled, would steal away the power of the medicine.

Yes this has occured to me before...