The Corroboree
Shrooman

G'day from a Newbie

G'day folks, just thought I'd introduce myself.

After waiting like a kid on xmas eve for my account to be verified, I'm finally able to see pics and post :lol:

In Brisbane and just starting out in mycology, but am very interested in growing edible muchrooms, especially the medicinal ones.

I'd love to be able to consinstantly grow Shiitake, Maitake, Resihi, Lions Mane, Cordyceps?, and maybe a few others.

I love the attitude and how helpful everyone is on this site - I'm looking forward to getting involved in some spore/culture swapping (once I have something to offer) and look forward to building a culture bank of my own once I get the time. In the past I had my own yeast bank for beer brewing yeast, as was invloved in several swaps/trades/group buys etc which was a great way to greatly expand your culture bank at minimal/no cost.

I've had a little bit of practice with agar work a few years back cultivating yeast strains for brewing beer, so I already have a 5L pressure cooker, some glass petris, erlenmyer flasks, ghetto magnetic stirrer, PP test tubes etc.

I plan on getting a larger (20L+) pressure cooker/steriliser down the track, as well as a laminar flow bench, however my time and space is limited ATM as I am spending most of my time and energy getting my house ready to sell, then plan on getting onto some acreage :). I have 4 of Stamets books, and have browsed through them - so much great info!

About 2 weeks ago after heavy rains here in Brisbane I found some VERY large mushrooms near work, so grabbed a couple of caps, took some photos and made some spore prints. From what I have looked at it appears to be King Stropharia (Stropharia Rugosoannulata) which is one I'd like to grow on an outdoor patch.

I hastily made a glovebox, and some healable injection ports lids for some mason jars and salsa jars and am trying to culture it on MYA and grain/perlite media. I'll then try to inncolulate my latest compost pile I started on the weekend. Even if it just turns out to make good compost I'll be happy for now.

How do people store their spore prints, and how long do they tend to remain viable?

Looking forward to getting involved and producing some mushrooms :lol:

Shrooman

• Like 2

Hey shrooman i might be able to help you out with some, would you like to PM me so we can chat

• Like 1

Very welcome and a great introduction!

There's loads of info in the mycology section, feel free to add your own knowledge !

Love pro-active new members :lol:

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I'm super keen, just a bit time and space poor ATM, but am spending a lot of time reading and lurking the forums.

Seems like a great community here so looking forward to getting involved.

• Like 1

From what I've read about cordyceps, it only grows at very high altitudes, and does some weird hostile takeover of a live caterpillar to do that (?)

I'm no expert though.

nah theres thousands of species of cordyceps from all kinds of different ecosystems & altitudes & that infect all kinds of insects. not just caterpillars at high altitude :)

welcome shrooman!

• Like 2

Yeah Cordyceps may prove to be a bit harder to cultivate, especially to cultivate them with a high enough level of active medicinal components. I love a challenge though. Saying that I think that they will be one of the last ones I will try. Just need a mulberry tree to get grow silkworms to grow cordyceps..........

Yeah Cordyceps may prove to be a bit harder to cultivate, especially to cultivate them with a high enough level of active medicinal components. I love a challenge though. Saying that I think that they will be one of the last ones I will try. Just need a mulberry tree to get grow silkworms to grow cordyceps..........

let me know how that goes haha. i'm interested in growing cordyceps also, eventually.

• Like 1

dont forget to get the 3 x 240v to 24v transformers with matching fittings.

I'll probably just get one 24V AC power supply. If I can't find a cheap enough plugpack I might get a transformer and make my own.

The connectors I'll either just match up, or re-terminate to something else more convenient.

• Like 1

Prints have been known to be viable for decades. I refrigerate mine but it's not really necessary as much as with agar slants etc.

• Like 1

Prints have been known to be viable for decades. I refrigerate mine but it's not really necessary as much as with agar slants etc.

Thanks Endorfinder, With such a potentially long shelf life I might have to start looking for some spore prints to start my collection/library.

• Like 1