The Corroboree
Schitztrip

Stoner/Tripping Music....

I relise their have probably been a plethora of topics o f similar nature to this but i haven't read them so...

Not that i participate in any stoner/tripping activities i'm curious as to what music people who partake in such activities enjoy listening to. I relise no one in this forum would have ever, ever taken a prohibited substance but perhaps some members may have knowledge on the topic.

I've heard that Masssive Attack and the trip-hop genre in general can be interesting to listen to while under the influence of marijuana. Of course PInk Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon will be everyones instant response to this topic but i think there are heaps of new bands that have a lot to offer.

Radiohead, Kid A, has begun to develop somewhat of a cult following among people allegedly involved in such activities.

The whole "Stoner Rock" genre is also worth a mention, particularly, 'Kyuss'- some of the members of which went on to form, "Queens of the Stoneage"

A heavy sort of underground band that i enjoy listening to is "Iowaska" apparently named after a phycadelic tea of some kind they play a heavy sort of trance music with accompining grennie/lefty lyrics.

The Australian band 'Thumlock' is also worth notingif one is interested in the heavy/phycadelic side of things

The heavy guitar-funk fusion of Rage Against The MAchine is also said to provide an unlikely source of profound enjoyment when accompianied by the use of marijuana.

What are some of your favs?

drums man drums . i love drums. feel the vibration.the skins are alive.

i know a master drummer from nigeria, he makes my drums, he loves plants.

if youd like a drum for yourself this could be aranged or anyone for that matter.

didg is beut.i want a didg

tool is nice

tribal sections of seps and soulfly on repeat

monster magnet 25....tab.

jalamanta

just a few

to much good music

im also needing some new stuff.

instrumentals are best, it helps you to create something in you, rather than programing you.

i like it heavy with positive vibes!

DRUMS

has anybody heard the man with the electric didg?

*shpongle (are you shpongled?)

*radiohead! (kid a & amnesiac both AWSOME!)

*apex twin (mainly on dxm)

*moby (I like 'play')

*dandy warhols (comedown is very good, new albumn also good)

*hendrix (are you experienced, electric lady land etc.)

I like the same kinds of music no matter what I'm on, ie anything intense in one way or another and original.

Hey spiraleyes, I'd love a drum but I don't want one with animal skin on it unless I make it myself with roadkill... do you know a) where I can find how to make them properly, ie tanning the hide etc or B) whether your friend will make one with synthetic skin? I don't mean mylar like in rock/jazz drums, but this kind of more skin-like synthetic stuff I have seen once or twice.

electric didg... that sounds interesting! Tell us more. I love the didj.

Guest cloudspirit

spiraleyes-

Are those drums very expensive? Do you have pics? I have Mickey Hart's "Planet Drum" and another CD called "Drum Medicine." Some friends who have a garage band didn't have a drummer and would have let me play around as I listen well.....but the kind of drumming you and I like I bet would be alien to them.

Never understood this Pink Floyd thing...sure, Barret-era Floyd is cool in a cautionary sorta way, and even Roger Waters stuff is half-way tolereable if yer inta self-indulgent studio trickery and pretension that would make the queen-mum cringe...obviously the less said about David Gilmour the better...

Radiohead were great, back when they were still a band and not a sub-standard art-pop/rock electronica conglomerate...sorry to sound like that old issue of Rolling Stone we all keep in the shithouse incase of emergencies...anyway, yer on the right track with that Kyuss...keep rock n'roll evil, I say...

My advice? Hunker down with some early Bailterspace, they'll see ya right.

Originally posted by spiraleyes:

[if youd like a drum for yourself this could be aranged or anyone for that matter.

I've actually been thinking about getting a sort of bongo hybrid- drum that you see some people using around the place these days - but have had no idea where to get one. What sort of drums are these and what is the price. I'm interested.

a sort of bongo hybrid- drum

A djembe maybe? I own a darbuka from turkey, really nice little thing.

Electric didj? Just a didj with a pickup? I was thinking about that actually, you could run a didj through a pickup of some sort, then you could put it through all sorts of effects and a pitch shifter, so if the song changed key, you could hit the foot switch and change the didj with it. Of course the original pitch of the didj would sound through so you would have to crank the amplifier pretty loud but still..

As for music, look on the real world label for an album by peter gabriel called 'the last temptation of christ' aka 'Passion'. I seem to be saying this every week or so, but it really is a must have album. Its the creme de la creme of any record collection.

Shpongle have a new album out soon, It should be pretty good, they were talking about trying to use more accoustic instruments like drums and stuff.

Guest will3

My favourite music full stop.

* My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

(first took acid to this...wow)

* Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works I and II

(yes, dxm brings this one out...)

* Rollerskate Skinny - Horsedrawn Wishes

(major, major listen to this in 98 on acid...there is GREAT deal in this one)

* Lotus Crown - Chokin' on the Jokes

(pretty much my soundtrack for 2000...)

* Sigur Ros - Von, Aegis and Von Brigandi

(the 10th track of Von is often used to bring people back with DMT, it's like angels chorousing your life...)

* Madonna - Ray of Light

(mushrooms make her sound MUCH better!)

* Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin

(waiting for superman and race for the prize)

* The Lucksmiths - Why that doesn't surprise me

(relationshipal ships and smoke)

* R.E.M. - Best of

(awaken!)

* St Johnny - Speed is Dreaming

(never needed to listen to it on anything)

* Mercury Rev - Bosces

(early acid music)

For everyone here...Sigur Ros (http://www.sigur-ros.com) just can't be recommended highly enough...I saw the SMH had a little article on them in today Good Weekend. My friend Birgitta toured with them in Iceland three years ago and brought me their demos in 1999; which just simply astounded me.

Thought I might add my selection.

Bardo Pond - Set and Setting

Movietone - Any.

ok try these for on size:Motorhead(any of many),metalica(ride the lightening,puppets)hendrix(any of many)judas priest(screaming for vengence,turbo,british steel ectra)black sabbath(sabbatage,masters of reality)the eternal AC/DC,Marianne Faithful(broken english)Jesus Rodriguez(cold fact)all good stuff no matter what condition your in.

Originally posted by A480:

Never understood this Pink Floyd thing...sure, Barret-era Floyd is cool in a cautionary sorta way, and even Roger Waters stuff is half-way tolereable if yer inta self-indulgent studio trickery and pretension that would make the queen-mum cringe...obviously the less said about David Gilmour the better...

My advice? Hunker down with some early Bailterspace, they'll see ya right.

I've often heard people comment on the pretentious attitudes of Pink Floyd - where is all thiis stemming from?

They were really quite a while before my time and the only album i own is Dark Side of the Moon and it is, honestly, quite brilliant, you can't help but develop quite an intimate relationship with it

As for Radiohead i don't own Kid A but have listened to it on numerous occasions and my best friend is utterly convincced of it being the greatest album of all time

Amnesiac is more instantly satifying than Kid A though, slightly less bleep blopping. -- i'll have to buy Kid A before i get can really say which is better

Who are Bailterspace??

I'd like to find some more of the interesting earlier stuff like Kraft-Werk, Tangerine Dream, Steve Reich, Herbie Hancock etc. I don't mind minimalist music, some people can't bear it. One artist I would have to recommend in this context would be a local by the name of Paul Roth. The track obscure machine from his "It's dark in here" CD can have some interesting ramifications. At a certain volume it causes various items in the room to start to resonate. I wonder if this also occurs with humans ie their heads start oscillating at a particular frequency as standing waves develop throughout the body, forming 1st, 2nd and third harmonics, etc. Perhaps physics could shed some light on this phenomenon.

An electric didg sounds interesting. I've practiced the basic technique on reticulation pipe but am still to master the circular breathing technique.

Here's a few more:

For a few months I've been stuck on this one:

Cypress Hill IV

Now that's not all "insane in the membrane" and "hits from the bong" teenie music, this one is for the better part all pretty serious music, it really expresses this schizoid paranoia running away from the law and fight to survive attutide, but the music gives it incredible debths with a leaning to the classical. My favourite track is track 4, easily remembered: Cypress Hill 4 track 4 the piano frequently freaks me out and takes me to other dimensions.

Follow up CD Skulls and Bones is also very good, rap with classical orchestra, amazing.

Bonus disc "valley of chrome"kicks as much punk-ass as Ice T's "body Count"ever did.

On the subject of Pink Floyd I agree mostly with A 480, used to be my fave band in the 70s along with King Crimson and Robert Wyatt.

On Radiohead i don't agree: I bought their first CD "Pablo Honey" a few weeks ago listened to ti a few times and got rid of it again, because it really sucked. The only good song on it was "freak". I like their 2nd album, OK Computer is great, Kid A was my fave, and "Amnesiac" I haven't got yet.

Also have to get the new tool album soon.

I also listen quite often to Zappa's "joe's Garage", which is for the most part an excellent album, Frankie's music is timeless he is one of the masters, up there with JImi forever.

One of the most psychedelic bands I know is "Clock DVA" but they haven't put out anything since the early nineties. I've got their "Buried Dreams" and that on a powerful stereo will blow your braincells into atoms.

Oh god theres so many, but that's it for now.

Oh yes and I shall never forget "Rage against the machine's" Killing in the name of..."have to catch up on their new stuff but...

(posted by rk)

Hey spiraleyes, I'd love a drum but I don't want one with animal skin on it unless I make it myself with roadkill... do you know a) where I can find how to make them properly, ie tanning the hide etc or B) whether your friend will make one with synthetic skin? I don't mean mylar like in rock/jazz drums, but this kind of more skin-like synthetic stuff I have seen once or twice.

im not sure about synthetic skins,i can ask.

the animals arent killed for their skins,

belief is that the animal what ever it may be, is eternaly worshipped every time the drum beats.

im a snake catcher,and frequently come across dead beasties,

i keep and create things with the skins.

i dont know how it differs for larger animals,but for snakes all i do is gut them,nail them out and scrape them with a blade till its clean and then rub them in sea salt then leave them to cure,time depends on the heat,but you will know.

(posted by cloud spirit)

Are those drums very expensive? Do you have pics?

expense is relative.

when i sought my first skin i thought yeh exspence, but soon realized it was worth it and the craftsmanship is very good.

my first and fav is made from camel and dear.

the camel is very deep and has a huge glow,the dear is thiner and higher.

its skin width is 38cm and the cylinder is 13cm. very nice shamanic drum.

i beat it with a padded stick.

a very penetrating pulse.hmmm nice!

A$220

any size,any skins,painted,stained or bare wood.

i like el naturel.

all work is custom,he is very tuned in to universal energies and knows what you will want.

he and his spirits trip me out!!!

i have a small roo skin i made it is very high pitched,and a goat i picked up im morrocco,not alot of glow.

camel deep to roo high and many in between.

cylinders made from pine.

im soon getting a drum scale to my healing drum butjust under a mtetre wide,mega bass.

this will deffinatly loosen the soul.

ill get more info seen as though people are interested and im organizing a digital cam for picys of plants and cacti and will shoot some drums.

i require no fee ofcourse,my reward is discount off my next drum and i love getting drums out there, they have amazing power raising potential.

an esential tool in the shamans workshop.

may be a week or so ,hang on

ahhh the electic didg, ive heard about it but havent heard it, would like to though.

im after cds of drums,precussion and the didg

anything trancey

can anybody help me out?

go within or go without

spiral

go shroomy u good thing. that about sums up my collection too, dated maybe but still pushes all my buttons.

Originally posted by spiraleyes:

(posted by rk)

im a snake catcher,and frequently come across dead beasties,

i keep and create things with the skins.

i dont know how it differs for larger animals,but for snakes all i do is gut them,nail them out and scrape them with a blade till its clean and then rub them in sea salt then leave them to cure,time depends on the heat,but you will know.

spiral

urk gutting road kill would be quite rank...

Are the animals initially killed for food or what? I'm extremly interested though,, do the drums last for a long time,, i don't want to spend in excess of 200bucks on something that won't last for years

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to shamnic drums so i'm eargely awaiting pics, info etc

ha yeh road kill is on another level,

all is good though

drums for life .

ive seen and played on the masters drums,some up to twenty years old.

i cant imagime how many times theyve been wacked.

im sure they eventually wear out but iknow you will get your moneys worth.

he can make any drum you like.

hes the master, hes my man.

different skins come from all over australia

im not exactly sure why they are killed,

but i believe its not directly for their skins.

Gomaos, I used to listen to 'Black Sunday' when I first started smokin weed when I was about 15 years old, used to trip me out something shocking (in a bad way).

Yeah, pablo honey is crap, I think most of the early stuff was, even alot of OK computer although I havent heard the whole albumn in an altered state, Karma Polis and Paranoid Android are both awsome songs though. I love the direction they're heading, and you have to get amnesiac, it's just as good as Kid A, pretty similar in fact. I recommend you listen to it for the first time while tripping for max enjoyment/weirdness. I listened to it for the first time on a large dose of dxm and it totally messed with my mind. I also love the artwork in the booklets of both the new cd's, very trippy, very cool.

As for Rage against the machine, I think they've gone downhill since 'evil empire', saw the filmclip of 'bulls on parade' today and had an irresistable urge to start jumping up and down in my lounge room while throwing around and breaking furniture. wink.gif

Schitztrip -

You asked about Bailterspace...okey-dokey: they're originally from Dunedin, NZ although I think they're now based in New Yawk (undoubtedly tryna make a career out of whats ALWAYS best left as a hobby)...standard gtr/bass/drms line-up, widely regarded as the loudest band on earth. Not in a 'eavy metal sorta way, more like huge, "wall of sound" ringing open strings. Frontman Alistair Parker is a bit Barret-ish himself;all the (barely audible)lyrics are concerned with space, nuclear technology, transport, particle physics(?!)etc...needless to say, very psychedelic, ranging from jangly space-pop to some darker, more industrial stuff. Best records are Robot World and Vortura...lame titles, I know. You might be able to track em down through Mushroom Records, as Bailterspace were signed to Flying Nun in NZ and I think Mushroom owns F. Nun. I am supremely confident that you (all of you!) will dig 'em.

...and can I just say how pleasantly surprised I am to find AC/DC and Motorhead fans on these boards! I call for an immediate halt to all discussion of ethnobotany till we get a satisfactory answer to the immortal question:"is Back in Black REALLY better than Power Age?" wink.gif

Guest cloudspirit

spiraleyes

Check out "The Afro-Celt Sound System"

"Drum Medicine" by David Jordan

"Lost At Last" electronica/polynesian/trial

SM smile.gifE by Smile interesting trance tribal

Us Peter Gabriel

Will 3

Strange Cargos William Orbit

is very nice, he is on the Madonna CD--I have that one too. BTW, I used to correspond with

Birgitta a bit. Her poems are incredible. That band is nice too. I listen to a lot of Loreena Mckennit who has a somewhat similar sound to me.

assassin,

if you did like "the hill" then, you'll like them now even more. It'll still trip you out, but it won't be in a bad way. Just enjoy the eerieness...

Radiohead: Amnesiac is on the top of my shopping list. I just wait until I come across it. As you said, there's plenty of real good ones on OK computer as well, I think there's only 1 or 2 I don't like.

On the subject of "Rage": I've heard a few of their newer songs on the radio and really liked them too.

"Bulls on Parade"is on of my favourites.

saw the filmclip of 'bulls on parade' today and had an irresistable urge to start jumping up and down in my lounge room while throwing around and breaking furniture.

cool

Last night I saw the new "rammstein" at a service station and couldn't help grabbing it. Since I was too "tired"last night, I've just put it on now, this morning.

Thinks I might have to turn it up some more, the wife is not here...

"links zwo drei vier'...

Guest unified

1.ENIGMA , almost everysong.

2. Terrence Mc kenna / Electronic http://www.elftrance.com/mckenna.htm

EG. Revolution etc.

...pure genius...but i found what he was looking for on saturday night and it all revolves around 5 smile.gif

this is the only hint you'll get.