The Corroboree

;) nice one!

• Like 1

yew!

I've been scouting the inner SE suburbs over the last week or so to no avail... shouldn't be far from now though, just need a bit more rain me thinks :)

*edit SE Melb burbs I should mention!

Edited by fydesvindico
  • Like 1

Go Dude !

Thats a great sign, lets hope its a bumper season.

And that this thread ends up full of lovely pics of shroom pron.

• Like 1

Oh , and i wanted to be the first this season, lol.

On ya thed00dabides, now we will all be walking around head, down camera ready . :)

Can't wait until I start seeing them here in Vic!

Although last years season wasn't as great as the year before. I remember the 2011 season, found them growing late March/early April, where as last year they started coming up mid-May!

Hey guys a little new to the scene, if i was looking for some of these localy, for identification and microscopy purposes, what would be the best way to go about finding them, i know the whole rain and manure thing, but there has to be more to it than that, cheers guys

SkyWalker - knowing your approximate location might help :)

Also they're talking about Psilocybe subaeruginosa, which is not a dung-lover (you might be thinking of cubensis). Subs like cold & wet, cubes like warm & wet, basically. There's lots more to it, but the easiest way is just to go out hunting in different weathers and figure out what grows in your area - there's usually lots of cool-looking and edible fungi after rains, so it's fun regardless of what else you find. Take a camera and I'm sure folks here can help you out with IDs.

Soz, im inbetween canberra and sydney, and i do appologise for my noobiness, i assumed we were talking about cubes, its cold like all the time, and wet most of the time at the moment, and it will stay that way for a while, hit me with your knowledge guys, keen as to learn about natural mycology, cheers

yew!

I've been scouting the inner SE suburbs over the last week or so to no avail... shouldn't be far from now though, just need a bit more rain me thinks :)

*edit SE Melb burbs I should mention!

Me too soon hopefully last year was great everywhere i went there they were!

SkyWalker - knowing your approximate location might help :)

Also they're talking about Psilocybe subaeruginosa, which is not a dung-lover (you might be thinking of cubensis). Subs like cold & wet, cubes like warm & wet, basically. There's lots more to it, but the easiest way is just to go out hunting in different weathers and figure out what grows in your area - there's usually lots of cool-looking and edible fungi after rains, so it's fun regardless of what else you find. Take a camera and I'm sure folks here can help you out with IDs.

pine forests urban bark beds are the go. Good luck it took me a few years to get it right ( id and prints)

saw a shite load of subs out today!

They are EVERYWHERE already up in the hills. As are the hippies picking them and making it way to obvious... saw two just down the road that are quite large.

Went for a wander in the forest on the weekend and found around 20 medium sized subs and a load of pins n young ones. (Vic)

With a bit more rain down here, and cold temps, i dare say that the season will be well and truly underway!

Syd/Gong isnt good atm. too many winds drying out the beds, even trusted irrigated beds aren't pinning due to there being no moisture in the top inch or two of chips. A few are to be found nestled right up in the long ornamental grasses if your gentle enough.

Skywalker, from my experiences in your general area youll need 40-80mm of rain and a few 2-5C nights to get em going. Dont get me wrong, they fruit outside of this aswell, but if you want to find them growing gregariously these conditions will be best. You get long dry summers down that way and it needs a good soak to get the ball rolling again. older mulch beds IME are better than new ones. for example a recently remulched bed will unlikely be as good as it was last season... but the following season can be bumper once the myc grows to the new chips. If i were you i'd read some threads RE spreading of sub myc and learning those basics. youll be very rewarded with this gesture thats for sure.

d00d

Found a shittonne at my grannys place today near Gippsland. (Edited for their own sake)

Anyway seems the season has started for melbourne, happy hunting Melb shroomers!

Edited by naja naja
  • Like 1

IMHO, Subs picked in garden mulch beds provide a different "darker" trip to those picked in the forests which are much more positive and inspiring (for me).

Mushrooms absorb their surroundings, as you know. You should never pick mushrooms from the side of a road for example as they will absorb the heavy metals from vehicle emissions - these are nature's garbage collection unit after all. And whatever medium that they are growing on, and the chemicals involved there (wood chip spraying anyone?), would most likely end up affecting the fruiting bodies and their chemical makeup.

Disclaimer: Personal experience. Could be a load of absolute tripe. Take with a pinch of salt.

Disclaimer: Personal experience. Could be a load of absolute tripe. Take with a pinch of salt.

Take subs with salt, got it.

• Like 4

This might annoy some here but I actually accidently mowed about 15 yesterday while mowing the lawn.

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie
  • Like 2

o no

Hey Zen.....shamans apprentice...you will never get your certificate mowing Subs.

just sayin

• Like 2

Yummy visitors in my garden, grown on acacia confusa bark and Caapi mulch.

Full on aya subs.

Just starting to fruit tonight, lets hope this cold snap keeps up, although I am going to start putting a bag of ice down and see how that goes. Should work in theory.

4yo Oberon myc is a long way from home on the Central Coast.

Such a special place to meditate.

I hope I will have some better pics to add to this post, in the coming days.

post-337-0-06273400-1368523559_thumb.jpg

• Like 6