The Corroboree
Darklight

Charity auction: sterile Acacia acuminata in tissue culture

On the podium are five sterile culture containers of Acacia acuminata. Tubes to be auctioned separately. These are aseptically germinated seed, and are suitable for further sterile work, or for deflasking into a suitable environment for garden growth. Once you receive them they are yours to do with as you wish :)

Funds from this auction will be donated to the Seed Saver's Network, to continue their work teaching and mentoring communities in Australia and overseas, encouraging groups to maintain their local, biodiverse and sustainable food resources. Jude and Michel do some of the best outreach work I have ever seen and they have inspired me for several decades now

http://www.seedsavers.net/

Auction notes: if you are a successful bidder you accept the terms and recommendations below

• Plants are approx 2-4cm tall with two explants per jar. They will have another few weeks of growth in them under fresh coolwhite fluro tubes, or indirect light about 200-250 µmol photons/m2/second ( ie about 10-20% of daylight strength- more could cook them ). If plantlets get taller than 7-8cm it can become difficult to remove and handle them aseptically.
  • Auction open to addresses within Australia only, with the exception of WA. I will not ship to WA for quarantine reasons. Cultures are functionally sterile at the time of shipping, but media contains PPM
  • Culture tubes are 150ml, with 50ml culture media containing 10g/L gelcarin. The high gelling agent amount will help, but not entirely prevent root and stem damage during shipping
  • I won't be held accountable for their success in further culture as that relies on factors outside my control. Simple aseptic teks have previously worked for minimal replication of this species. If you post your tek and pics to SAB myself or someone else may be able to help, but that depends on time available to me and clarity of your requests
  • Auction bid includes shipping cost

Auction bids open at $20 per jar, and auction closes at midnight on Sunday 28th April 2013

post-12-0-33254400-1366336094_thumb.jpg

Tube #1 Starting bid $20

post-12-0-17413200-1366336217_thumb.jpg

Tube #2 Starting bid $20

post-12-0-79314900-1366336251_thumb.jpg

Tube #3 Starting bid $20

post-12-0-10696000-1366336291_thumb.jpg

Tube #4 Starting bid $20

post-12-0-57429600-1366336375_thumb.jpg

Tube #5 Starting bid $20

Edited by Darklight
  • Like 8

This is the first time I've offered plants in culture directly to SAB members. Previously I've been put off because it could become a time consuming and complex activity

If it's a smooth and simple job ( and it's of interest to you all ) we can do it again

• Like 3

Today's mission: to edit all of the above so that it sounds fun.

• Like 1

LOL does it also include shipping?

LOL does it also include shipping?

Thanks mate, edited the OP. Yes it does :)

i shall add a euphorbia obesa and various stapeliad cuttings :)

• Like 1

25 for tube #5.

Edited by endorfinder

Btw guys dl is offering a very funky science project up here that can open doors to wondrous new biological lands!

• Like 3

Bump :)

Thanks endorfinder!

These TC clones also represent a seriously valuable way to learn to deflask plants from TC. This can be a tricky process, but is usually a bit more straightforward with Acacia spp, esp if you have indoor growing areas over winter

Deflasking is a good area to be skilled in if you are thinking about learning TC

• Like 2

A skill I need to acquire & hone.!Something Ive been interested in for a while...

& seed savers do some great work....

So I will bid

$25 separately on each of 1,2,3,4.

Got to let endorfinder in with a chance on #5.

Seed savers are an awesome organisation & seriously inspired me & taught me alot about saving seeds.

I first heard about them in the early 90's & still use the book they released then as a seed saving bible....

Great cause. & awesome work DL!!

Inspiring!!

Please offer more in the future....

• Like 1

OK now there is a catch here - this can only go to Kiva, not to oxfam or suchlike. Kiva is something more than a charity, and we need to support it. I used to laugh when I would get calls asking for donations to the <disease> association; even after i explained that i had no bloody money because i was devoting my life to <disease> research, the little c*nts would still have the nerve to ask if there was still any amount i could possibly donate..? as if perhaps asking me to go to work for an extra hour or two might not be 10x the investment if he'd thought about it and tried to seduce me‽‽‽‽‽‽

Oh well, I guess I'm not easily seduced if history is to be proven. The true beasts of the jungle seem to win out.

Now I'm competitive though. $30 each on #1 and #2.

The catch is, if I bid over $120 I expect DL to offer me a skill exchange opportunity, scientist to scientist, on my turf :P I will help set the lab space up properly and buy the oust if she will spray it and sit smoking rollies sipping gin and juice while the space cleans up. from that, and form the ethanol on all the surfaces, never mind the glen 20 everywhere. that shit gon' be clean. She will pay for transport because her accommodation will not only be free, she will be treated like a queen for the duration of her trip.

If this is out any time in 2013 DL let me know and I reduce my bid back to the original single flask. My current bid with all three flasks is $85 if you take up the $120 breakthrough condition :)

cheers -ef

• Like 1

So to clarify endo

Your going $30 on 1, 2 & $25 on 5?

If that's the case then ok.,;)

Here's hoping for the $120 mark ;)

OK now there is a catch here - this can only go to Kiva, not to oxfam or suchlike.

All funds going to Seed Saver's Network. I've known them for almost three decades and they've been working to organise self sufficient and sustainable food supplies to local communities worldwide for longer than that even :) Kiva are good, but I *know* these people and have seen the outreach work they do, hence my interest

The catch is, if I bid over $120 I expect DL to offer me a skill exchange opportunity, scientist to scientist, on my turf :P I will help set the lab space up properly and buy the oust if she will spray it and sit smoking rollies sipping gin and juice while the space cleans up. from that, and form the ethanol on all the surfaces, never mind the glen 20 everywhere. that shit gon' be clean.

Hang on, where do you live again? If it's near BNE or Coffs, you're on. Clean your shit up before I get there bloke, you can 70% ETOH it all again when I get there just to be sure. This is a deal just for you, because. Just because.

I don't smoke rollies and I have hell fine taste in gin. Whisky or bourbon moreso. You have totally been warned

She will pay for transport because her accommodation will not only be free, she will be treated like a queen for the duration of her trip.

Fuck the monarchic shit, just find me a safe place to park the hoggley. Your loungeroom is acceptable, but only after the sterile work is done

If this is out any time in 2013 DL let me know and I reduce my bid back to the original single flask. My current bid with all three flasks is $85 if you take up the $120 breakthrough condition :)

Various parts of 2012 are off limits for one reason or another, and as you know the plants set their own schedule. But I'm sure we can find a suitable time for a science martini overnighter. As long as you're no more than 3 hours ride in any direction from me we're good

Note to everyone else: we have been talking about this for a while anyhow and now endorfinder is going to donate to one of my favourite causes for it? Win-win

• Like 4

Seed savers are an awesome organisation & seriously inspired me & taught me alot about saving seeds.

Aren't they just :) They totally changed my outlook on life back when I was a tacker and their inexhaustable energy and dedication inspires me still

Please offer more in the future....

Thanks for your bids. If this pans out well and people are interested I can run some more. Acacia is a great species to start with

Seed Savers it is then :) Yes I'm at $85 total right now.

I'm quite a bit further north... well I'll be in Brisbane for a few days in the next few weeks but I can only have a day or two to spare max - that would at least be enough time to have a cuppa and do some deflasking. I was joking about the transport, I would obviously cover plane tickets were this to be arranged. I'm probably looking at no sooner than 3 months before starting more serious TC work, so there's no rush on this at all. The thing about Brisbane is I *possibly* have access to a real lab although that would involve a lot of time spent doing "long time no see"'s choking up the process; in NQ I have my personal ghetto biol stuff together in some shape or form. Nobody to distract me there, it's all in a dedicated dark room that hasn't been cleaned down for use yet but was picked because said cleaning won't be hard, and it has water and power. :P

SkyWalker DL takes her location wherever she goes :)

• Like 1

*BUMP*

Sunday 28 April, the one coming up- all bids close after midnight AEST ( that's NSW time )

$35 on 1 & $30 on 5.

My other bids still stand.

Edited by altenate

Woohoo! A few more than 12 hours to go, and we have:

Tube #1 alternate $35

Tube #2 endorfinder $30

Tube #3 alternate $25

Tube #4 alternate $25

Tube #5 alternate $30

Highest bids are from your highest bids which land by midnight tonight

Thanks for the fun :)

• Like 1

I want to get into TC and I want to bid, but I'm lost as to what I'd do once I received a jar (if I win one in the first place :P)

Edited by Sabry
  • Like 1

I want to get into TC and I want to bid, but I'm lost as to what I'd do once I received a jar (if I win one in the first place :P)

Deflask it and make it into a tree?

Seriously, teaching your plant how to feed itself and develop an immune system after it's been drip-fed it's every requirement is a valuable skill and an integral part of plant tissue culture. It's not rocket surgery, but you'd be amazed how many people don't have the patience or will to do it properly

• Like 2

Darklight will take great pleasure in teaching you how to deflask those bastards, don't worry :)

Oh btw DL, can you give me some advice on deflasking sterile TC'ed orchids? :D

Well, I guess there's no harm in starting here :D

I'll put $27 on #3!

Winners!

• Tube #1 alternate $35
  • Tube #2 endorfinder $30
  • Tube #3 Sabry $27
  • Tube #4 alternate $25
  • Tube #5 alternate $30

Alternate- that's a total of $90 for 3 tubes

Sabry- a total of $27

Endorfinder- total $30

I'll PM you guys and we can exchange details

Thanks for bringing the deflask situation to my attention- there *are* no instructions on the forums for this. I'll write some up and put a link up on the Ethnobotany section

Some deflasking tips for general use:

http://www.shaman-australis.com.au/knowledge-tissue-culture-plantlets-deflasking.html

http://www.shaman-australis.com.au/knowledge-tissue-culture-plantlets-deflasking-version2.html

They're for Rubiaceae mostly, but do apply to other species

Once you have a successful deflasking with this method, you can actually cut corners in a lot of species and save time and effort. But it's best to try this protocol first to get the hang of it