The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Chemical Shaman

A glass of water

Im currently working on repairing my liver and the stuff that im taking says I need to drink 6-8 glasses of water every day with it.

It just occured to me I don't know what a glass of water is. I think it's 250mls but I thought i'd ask anyway.

Im drinking a couple of litres anyway so I know im doing alright with it I just thought i'd ask.

depends on how big the glass is dipshit tongue.gif

Guest shapeshifter

You're supposed to drink 2 litres of water a day so 6-8 average glasses will equate to about 2 litres - but you know the more you drink the faster your kidneys will recover - so my advice to you is to drink at least 10 litres a day and see how you feel...hey do the socks have to be clean - my partners' socks can virtually walk on their own - can I send one of them - I thought that might save me postage??

For kidney flushing 2 litres is the absolute minimum. In fact, in summer when you loose quite a bit of moisture via sweat, you will need to drink considerably more. 3 litres is the absolute minimum in summer. BTW, it doesn't have to be all water. Herbal teas are good too. Balck or green tea is good cos it acts as a diuretic and creates a bigger flushing effect (it will also make your thirsty, making it easier to consumer the larg quantities of fluid). And a beer a day is alo good cos it flushes real well.

Frutijuices are not as good, but if you like them diluted (eg 2/3 water, 1/3 juice) then this is a way of making it easier to drink the volume.

With absolute minimums, that's exactly what I mean. Adding a litre to each would be much better.

Assassin Wrote:

depends on how big the glass is dipshit

Geez , thanks for that man. I'll take it the directions on my tablets were actually refering to shot glasses and stick with that. Very helpful smile.gif

Anyways since when did "a glass" become a standard measure for anything. I use measuring cups all the time but i've never seen a measuring glass.

Torsten Wrote:

And a beer a day is alo good cos it flushes real well.

Drinking a beer a day will be good for my liver??

I think I can manage this.

Originally posted by Chemical Shaman:

Drinking a beer a day will be good for my liver??

I think I can manage this.

Sorry, I got confused and thought we were talking about kidneys.

NO, if liver is the problem then I don't think any alcohol is appropriate. Most importantly you should watch your fat intake (as if you eat anyway wink.gif).

Guest reville

whats up with your liver anyway?

I never have understood this liver cleansing crap.Its more of a rest.

Your liver is the filter for everything that passes through the gut. It processes raw materials,and prepares it for movement around the body.

Basically blood comesfrom the gut and spreads out through the many 'sinusoids' or ducts in the liver athat are bordered by 'epithelial' hepatocytes. Epithelial like the skin - always dividing and flaking off.

your liver regenerates new cells continuosly and these migrate from one end of the sinusoid to the other after which it dies and flakes off to be recycled elsewhere.

If you have damaged your liver by some acute toxic means and you have killed off some of these cells you just have to wait until they are repalced by the natural process.

however if youve really damaged your liver

like damaged the infrastructure of the liver on which these disposbale cells live then the damage isnt reapired - its going to scar (repair vs regeneration).

the bitch thing with the liver is that scarring can interfere with the function of surrounding areas- damaging them and leading to their scarring.The liver is kind of sensitive to this and the end process of this smouldering process is cirrhosis of the liver.

Of course every liver insult doesnt do this but my point is that - some fancy liver cleanser wont do shit unless you stop chronically insulting your organs. you need to allow them time to rest and recover

the same principles of acute/superficial vs chronic/deep damage apply to the epithelium of the vascular system,lungs,kidneys and skin.

BTW your brain wont scar it just leaves a hole smile.gif

Cheers for that reville , very informative.

some fancy liver cleanser wont do shit unless you stop chronically insulting your organs. you need to allow them time to rest and recover

Thats the plan. Im taking time off (maybe permanently) from chronically abusing my liver with alcohol and various other cleaning solvents and illicit substances.

Im drinking loads of filtered water every day (I even had a filter fitted to my shower although this has nothing to do with my liver). I started working in a nightclub every friday and saturday night so I can make money instead of spending it. And I haven't even been tempted to drink , seeing all the asses around me has really made me stop and think. Im taking a Silybum marianum (Milk thistle) extract 3 times a day as well as Artichoke and Dandelion extract twice daily and various vitamins too.

The liver thing isn't the only health project im working on. Im cleaning up baby.

I fully agree with you rev. The best thing for fixing a liver is giving it a break. That means reducing the intake of anything that puts strain on the liver. Highest on the list are drugs, alcohol and fatty foods.

Funnily, many of the herbs and extracts that are supposed to be good for the liver actually need to be metabolised by it, thus putting more strain on it.

It is also important to keep the kidneys functioning well so that the crap doesn't have to keep passing through the liver over and over. This is where the flushing comes into it.

An excellent book is "The bodies many cries for water" written by an Indian doctor(will post name later) covers extensively the bodies dependence on water, backed up by research & covers issues such as cancer, weight loss, muscular aches & a whole gamet of conditions that the author states are caused by inadequate water intake, makes sense based that our physical makeup is 80%? water. Will find out ISBN etc if anyone is interested.

after getting some silybum marianum seeds i did a bit of study and found that the extract (or something) had been used to protect the liver from the toxins in destroying angels and had saved a number of lives.

Yeah it's supposed to protect liver cells through it's strong anti-oxidant activity. It's also supposed to support regeneration of liver cells. Kick ass eh.

Can testify to the brilliance of milk thistle extract ( whether you get the ETOH based tincture or the H2O one )

Prior to starting on milk thistle I was planning on leaving my liver to science...as a doorstop. Fortunately there are apothecary dispensries in Nimbin and Lismore which supply cheap tinctures in either base. Much cheaper than most other commercial outlets

But remmember to take frequent breaks as with any medication, its easy to get too reliant on it for fixing all your liver problems when really it's a more co-ordinated effort

Personally I've found the absolute worst thing for a stuffed liver is good ole stress. Drugs inlcuding alcohol & caffeine, fatty foods etc may be able to be handled in brief binges, but once stress is added to the equation it tips the balance. Hence I've also found periodic supplemention of amino acids for stress reduction to be of real benefit to liver function as well.

Don't believe those blood based Liver Function Tests 100% though...it takes a helluva lot of liver damage before it shows up on a test. Just cos an LFT comes back OK doesn't mean there isn't definite room for imporvement.

[This message has been edited by Darklight (edited 06 September 2001).]

Guest mandragora

l

Edited by mandragora

what? no stress, no alcohol, no caffeine or fatty foods, i'll waste away to nothing. four of my major food groups, just like that. i wonder if i can supplement stress with despair?

i find that despair comes when im stress deficient..

Guest Saph

Well just to be a pain in the ass.......

A standard glass of water is suppose to be 250mls.

But then again who came up with the idea that 250mls should be standard...