The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
CoLaNuT

Cola nitida

I have a Cola nitida tree about a metre and a half tall.

Struggled for a year or more after I transplanted out of its pot into the ground....full sun....grew a couple of new leaves, but really wasn't doing to well.

Put it back in a pot and into the greenhouse for a few months...got healthy again and transplanted to a shady/understory spot thus time.

Well drained, irrigated.....seems to be struggling again, no new growth over the wet season.

I know they are a slow grower, but done bugger all in a couple of years in the ground.

Did OK in a pot.

My questions are...

Does anybody have experience growing Cola?

If so, are there any special nutrient requirements?

Other advise on cultural practices would be appreciated.

Cheers

• Like 1

Hey mate, I have not grown this plant so not really sure but from what I have read about them temp & humidity come to mind. I see your in zone 5 but not sure were? I don't think they would do to well through winter out side a greenhouse if the temps get to low.

Cheers

jox

Hi Jox,

temp very rarely gets into single numbers.

Hot, dry, wet, humid, windy........bit of a mixed bag. :)

Sweet mate, it was just a thought. If the temps & humidity are right for this species then maybe it could be the soil condition? I was only thinking temp & humidity because you said it did better in the greenhouse now I'm thinking its doing better in a pot so maybe soil? I am sure you have checked these this out & like I said I have not grown this plant, just throwing up ideas to try & help :wink:.

Good luck with it!

Cheers

jox

I remember torts birthday gift were some cola nut's, but you are the first I hear about who has a cola plant growing, so most of us will have no experience with this plant.

we can probably only help with general knowledge.

but what you said makes me think as follows.

your location is still to cold for cola, that's why she did better in your green house, and likes the shade.

slow growth could mean lack of nutrients.

congratulations for having a cola nut plant!!

• Like 1

Thanks planthelper,

I have a few different spp. in 150mm pots.

Trying to germinate some more C.nitida atm......will share if successful. :)

I remember reading somewhere that they fruit in the shade, but more prolific in the sun....but not 100% sure on that.

Also.....where C.nitida grows as a native, it is a belief that you should not plant these seeds as the person doing so will surely die as soon as it comes into flower. :0.......ah well, can't live forever.

• Like 2

My Cola acuminata, which is growing in the pot, uncomplicated but slow for around ten years:

65mowg.jpg

25jvya9.jpg

a Cola acuminata- seedling:

8vromb.jpg

And Cola vera syn. nitida, also slow growing for around ten years:

24ythrt.jpg

2mgr4w5.jpg

I didn't fertilize much, they didn't even need a repotting, but this maybe depends on the slow growing in our middle-european light conditions (always in front of the window)

• Like 2

lovely pictures, mp!

10 years old, and it didn't need re potting, that speaks volumes.

how do you keep her, under a lot of humidity, inside your boxes, or is she outside, or do you move her?

next to the window, seems to say, she is used to outside a humidity box, and can tolerate central heating...

MP, does that plant of yours yield fruit? This sounds like one to add to my list for when I have a greenhouse.

Trailblazer I take it a plant that well established produces viable seed?? That's a minor ethno wet dream for many around these parts!

I have only seen it a couple of times and it had no seed but I was might of been there out of season EF.

It is a large tree so it would have to flower. I will go back and check it out some time hey.

I seen seeds in bags a couple of times at the markets along side with the betel so must get around a bit.

• Like 1

My plants are adapted to low humidity in front of the window. Here in winter we only have 40-50% humidity indoors,

I never put them in the greenhouse.

The leaves are indeed typical big rainforest- type, but they are also very tough. In the habitat the trees can also survive in a more savanna-like environment in Western Africa.

The seeds are only viable when they are fresh and wet, so keep them in sphagnum moss.

mostly they are whitish-pink and turn green when germinatig

Edited by mindperformer
  • Like 1