The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
planthelper

wedge grafting a crest

hi, all!

today, I did quite a peculiar graft, and the original inspiration, regarding v notch grafting came from kada.

but now I realize, that my dyslexia, had struck again, and the following describes, the exact opposite of what, some people do, when grafting a crest.

in other words, people and kada, used the stock shaped like a wedge, and the scion is the notch. my dyslexia made me do the opposite, I shaped the scion like a wedge, and the stock displayed the notch.

I received this beauty full crest, from hellonasty, and though a long time of what to do with it.

some reports suggest, that many crests will revert back to normal growth, if just planted out to form there own roots. some sources say, the same can happen even if you graft them, anyhow kada say's, if you wedge (got more side ways space for development?!) graft them, they will stay a crest ( now, I think, I misinterpretated this detail).

today suddenly, I had the gut's to try this out, and I think this is a good tek, as it features, step by step, photos, and an innovation, which I call "v shaped cardboard template"!!

here you see the cardboard template, and the crest in it's original shape.

I used the template, to mark the crest, as to facilitate exact cutting, yep I pretended to be a plastic surgeon, hehehe.

post-70-0-03259400-1365554331_thumb.jpg

this pic shows the stock, it was v notched 3 day's ago already, to allow for shrinkage, to occur.

the cardboard template, was fashioned, by inserting the same into the V notch, and as such accurate angles were obtained.

note as well that the skin was trimmed off, all around the stock. leaving the skin might at a later stage produce a bad fit.

post-70-0-32264200-1365554383_thumb.jpg

this pic shows the scion partly secured, uppermost precise cutting is a must, not only the angle must fit, but the cuts have to be done as parallel as possible (unless you skew them twice, with the same degree, which would be very difficult, humans are trained for right angles).

post-70-0-85097600-1365554420_thumb.jpg

the following photo shows the leftovers, the v shaped tissue thing, is the left over, from re cutting the echinopsis stock, the other left over, is part of the crest. I have high hopes of, taking one areola from it, and graft it, onto peres, and than let the rest of the crest, form it's own roots, and hope for the best.

post-70-0-54912400-1365554454_thumb.jpg

fully bandaged graft, note the sticky tape used to hold the panty hose down, because of lack of spines.

as well even more important, sticky tape was used to make sure the V notch doesn't open up, once it is exposed to the scions downward pressure.

I used tb. Bendigo as stock, I hope it works, because the Bendigo was slightly yellow and not a fast grower.

post-70-0-26024300-1365554535_thumb.jpg

I think the, cardboard template is a good idea, as it can be used the same way, if you are using the stock fashioned into a wedge shape. the cardboard template, helps you to cut precise and to get all the angles perfect!

crest&cardboard_templet.JPG

stock_v_notched.JPG

scion_partly_secured.JPG

leftovers_scion_&_stock_recut.JPG

finished.JPG

crest&cardboard_templet.JPG

stock_v_notched.JPG

scion_partly_secured.JPG

leftovers_scion_&_stock_recut.JPG

finished.JPG

Edited by planthelper
  • Like 3

cool! any idea what the results might be like? it seems to me like it might be possible to have faster growth with a V-shaped graft, due to the larger surface contact area... but I don't know too well if that's how cacti work.

cool! any idea what the results might be like? it seems to me like it might be possible to have faster growth with a V-shaped graft, due to the larger surface contact area... but I don't know too well if that's how cacti work.

I agree, and hope it will turn out that way, but the downsides would be, that it's maybe difficult to achive a good fit and aligement.

I agree, and hope it will turn out that way, but the downsides would be, that it's maybe difficult to achive a good fit and aligement.

looks like you've done a pretty good job though. good idea with the cardboard template.

Fruit tree graft. Nice I use this style for Desert roses too.

the only problem I can see is perhaps the v-notch in the root stock is too deep and the graft will eventually fail.

growth in the scion will appear on the two outer edges of the crest, thats how crests grow. If that growth pushes against the rootstock.......the other downside is the upward facing edges of the v-notch could allow bugs, moisture etc to collect if total fusion isnt achieved in those two areas.

I am worried about the same thing!

if the graft totally fails, I will regraft.

if it takes, and grows well, and pushes the union apart, than I will still be happy, and just re graft as well.

it's just as well that the original shape of the crest, was V shaped, only time will tell.

Is it just me, or does cresting look to anyone else like the plant is trying to unfurl a leaf?

Is there any way to promote in an evolutionary sense this idea?

Is it possible to gently pry the crest apart?

• Like 1

i like what you say, and got inspired to say, or isn't a crest similar like an agave unfolds, or as well some plant leaves unfold.

i think we would have to as well, check out the fossil age of cacti and plants.

i never heard of cacti fossils, and flowers are a modern thing, in evolution.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/anthophyta/caryos/caryophyllidfr.html

Edited by planthelper

maybe you can use a slow wedge technique using matchsticks or something

A family friend who grafts wine grapes for a living gave me some general advice once which is "graft shallow, both scion & stock".

I love the idea PH and wish you well! I am going to do a similar graft this w.e :)

that's the wedge graft, today after taking the bandages off.

I got a bit of surface fungus (reddish discoloration), but the graft looks good, and is reasonable healthy and looks like it has taken.
early day's though...post-70-0-98401900-1366520162_thumb.jpg

wedge_graft_update#1.JPG

wedge_graft_update#1.JPG

Edited by planthelper
  • Like 1

the graft got an infection, but it healed! :)

post-70-0-00201600-1373604548_thumb.jpg

the leftover, got plump, so it's rooted.

post-70-0-32624900-1373604637_thumb.jpg

crest_graft.JPG

crest.JPG

crest_graft.JPG

crest.JPG

• Like 1

I did a few v-notch grafts in the past. small tricho tops to opuntia.... never used a template. always simply cut the stock and scion and then made adjustments if needed after fitting. then one strong thing elastic band. It works fine for multiple species. Always thought it was slightly better at taking as you have 2 surface areas and the scion is a bit more secure.... ( no side slipping when only using a rubber band) cool to see it done agian.