The Corroboree
reptyle

Alcohol Advertising

Please take 5 minutes of your times to send an email

[email protected]

tell them that you are appalled by the ability of the alcohol industry to peddle their addictive drugs on tv, radio and at sporting events...

alcohol is defined as an intoxicant in the broadcasting code... this is unacceptable as a product to be promoted as part of a positive behavior.

we can have an alcohol free australia and be a better nation for it...

thankyou for caring about the future of our country.

SHARE THIS POST!

"Hi Guys,

I'm just writing to express my disgust at the fact that alcohol manufacturers are allowed to peddle their addictive drugs on tv, radio and at sporting events.
Alcohol is defined as an intoxicant in the broadcasting code; it is unacceptable fo
r alcohol to be marketed as part of a positive behavior.

Please explain your reasoning for the current rules at your earliest convenience.

Regards

####"

Here's a template.

... right, just what we want, more regulation about what we can and can't do with our bodies :(

• Like 5

and another thing, what's worse watching t.v or alcohol?

• Like 3

Man I am in a bad way. I don't know how I have survived so long as I regularly watch sport on TV while drinking alcohol. :o

I need the government to tell me not to do it so I can survive past my 25 birthday .

Hang on I have already survived another 25+ years some thing is wrong I should be at least curled up in the fetal position while I wait with a bourbon in hand for the football to start on the TV. :P

Cheers

Got

• Like 4

"Hi Guys,

I'm just writing to express my disgust at the fact that alcohol manufacturers are allowed to peddle their addictive drugs on tv, radio and at sporting events.

Alcohol is defined as an intoxicant in the broadcasting code; it is unacceptable for alcohol to be marketed as part of a positive behavior.

Please explain your reasoning for the current rules at your earliest convenience.

Regards

####"

Here's a template.

To whom it may concern,,

I'm just writing to express my approval at the fact that alcohol manufacturers are allowed to peddle their addictive drugs on tv, radio and at sporting events. Despite the fact I never listen to radio, watch tv and abhor sport owing to it's inherently competetive nature, I do agree wholeheartedly that adults should be allowed to imbibe / ingest / inject whatever intoxicant they wish.

Although alcohol is defined as an intoxicant in the broadcasting code it is totally acceptable for alcohol to be marketed as part of a positive behavior. I do believe, however, that the current drug legislation prevents alcohol companies from peddling other intoxicants, which is outrageous as these businesses should be allowed to make money however they want without any restrictions, capitalism being the modus operandi of our entire society and culture.

Please explain your reasoning for the current intoxicant legislation at your earliest convenience.

Regards

Whitewind

EDIT: reely poor grammer and speling

Edited by whitewind
  • Like 6

Send all the emails you like to ACMA - they are not known for listening to the opinions of the public though. Don't just insert your details into the template, this is the quickest way for your message to be ignored. I know that snail mail works better than email on politicians and I suspect the same principle may apply here.

I am also, at times, a little unsure about the deeper logic you have in play reptyle. Being anti-alcohol is not the same as being pro-entheogen.

• Like 2

i sincerely hope some of u slip over and graze ure knees.

peddling alcohol to kids watching sport and inferring that it is a positive behaviour is the wrong thing to do...

our plant friends are illegal because most people are too stupid to use them responsibly or to ignorant to do anything about it, largely because we live in an alcohol dominated society... when people start needing to search for alternatives... they will find them.

peaceloveandfucku

• Like 2

our plant friends are illegal because most people are too stupid to use them responsibly

I would say the same thing about alcohol. Just like the compounds you strive to protect, Booze is a plant based active...

That being said, i dont disagree 100% on the advertising issue.

Edited by eatfoo
  • Like 1

No naked pictures in this thread?....

• Like 2

Send an email... i'm working on more naked pictures.

send an email.

peddling alcohol to kids watching sport and inferring that it is a positive behaviour is the wrong thing to do...

agree, and its part of a massive and increasing societal problem in most parts of australia today- heavy alchohol abuse/chronic binge-drinking

by teenagers.

I dont drink. I also find some of the booze ads absolutely hillarious. Some of the best on tv. We'd be a poorer nation with out them. Thank you CUB and others for the laughs you have provided me :-)

While im hear, i think Mr Reptyle cops alot more shit then he should on topics that deserve some form of serious talk.

I dont agree with the entire message but hes not here to troll, give the guy some respect.

• Like 1

Plain packaging for all forms of alcohol and gambling (why are packs of tallys still branded?)

While im hear, i think Mr Reptyle cops alot more shit then he should on topics that deserve some form of serious talk.

I dont agree with the entire message but hes not here to troll, give the guy some respect.

You just want to see naked pics...don't you eatfoo :wink:

• Like 1

cheers

Sorry, I support this overall, and reptyle you might have forgotten I have supported you in the past with the alcohol scheduling. Don't wish badness on my knees, I'm very attached to them :)

This is almost certainly true and makes a particularly bad combination with gambling.

our plant friends are illegal because most people are too stupid to use them responsibly or to ignorant to do anything about it, largely because we live in an alcohol dominated society...

Also probably true, even if it is a pretty complex situation.

when people start needing to search for alternatives... they will find them.

Maybe. We have an idea on which alternatives we would like them to find and the circumstances we would like them to find them. If people don't use alcohol, then how much influence do we really have over what they do instead? This isn't an entirely rhetorical question - I really don't know the answer.

I really do think reptyle's heart is in the right place. I just worry because I have met other people who are passionately anti-alcohol. Unfortunately many of these people hold very strong religious (usually, but not always Christian) views that I disagree with. That might not be totally relevant to the issue here though.

What is relevant is that for many groups who are against alcohol their preferred alternative is clean living, middle class, consumerist, church-going self repression. And given the chance that is exactly the direction they would drive things.

Or I'm delusional/paranoid/wrong abut this.

Either way, any criticism I offer is done so in the spirit of being constructive and I meant no disrespect towards reptyle at all by it.

• Like 1

i rather think our plants friends are illegal due to religious persecution from the catholic/christian churches.

alcohol, the symbolism of wine for jesus' blood in the holy communion, could never be illegalised and persecuted in the same way as other religious sacraments are, as it would invalidate a central aspect of judeo-christian ritual.

• Like 1

I also meant no disrespect to reptyle. From the perspective of our society, in that all intoxicants are bad, then it is highly illogical to peddle alcohol so blatantly, especially as a role for positive behaviour. It is logical to ask for the banning of such a substance for such an intolerant society, especially since the negative effects of excess and inappropriate alcohol consumption are so obvious to all.

However, "peddling" of one's goods is completely appropriate if it is legal, as our society is based on the peddling of anything you think you can make a profit from (unless it is so evil it has to be banned, like Cannabis for example, or murder).

However, I am for a tolerant society which allows adults to imbibe whatever substance they so desire (so long as it doesn't negatively impact on others) so I will accept the legality of alcohol so long as other equally toxic or less toxic substances are also legalised.

I would also like an end to advertising, I would prefer it to be replaced with information dissemination. Its all very well to say "alcohol is great" as long as you can safely say "It can also have these negative side-effects".

Why do we have such rules as only negative advertising for all other drugs, including nowadays cigarettes, where only the bad is allowed to be talked about, when alcohol is so obviously missed out? If we had the same rules for alcohol, it would be sold from dark grey cupboards with pictures on the label of smashed up women saying "alcohol can cause domestic violence" and "every drink is doing your liver damage".

But we don't, so in that sense reptyle is very much in the right.

• Like 2

whether i am right or not isnt important...

though if u send the email, and ask for information and get involved in understanding the issues relating to alcohol, we can as a group gain greater clarity regarding other substances...

so i think emails should be sent, information requested, to everyone and anyone involved... ask for statements from alcohol companies...

i think i have explained the homoeopathic principle before... like cures like... thusly prohibition of alcohol will cause such a negative reaction as to result in cure of all prohibition, namely by providing reasoning and arguments for such liberalisation.

send an original email... expressing YOUR opinion... kids should have the right to be free from mindless brainwashing...regardlessof capitalist ideals.... which our society does not embody at all...

I reckon everyone can understand the intention behind the start of this thread, and thats whats important, alcohol is a massive problem evreywhere. not just Aus, and after all the damage that we have proven it can cause we should be more sensitive to how our children are affected by its advertisement and consumption around them, having said that though placing more restrictions on grog is not going to help, it will simply spawn more backyard Moonshine stills, smarter marketing and under the table deals with our government, the entire thing needs to be broken down and looked at logically, we obviously consume as much as we do for a reason, its got nothing to with price or advertisement or even education, we have attacked these fronts over the last 10 years with little to no results and in some cases reverse effects have been present, we need to find a true cause and hit it, no matter what it is, Just remember the old saying, guns dont kill people people kill people, same thing here, short of removing the guns, people will be shot, and we are not getting rid of grog in this country, not any time soon, to much money invested into it by the gov. and friends

home brew should be legal, home distillation should be legal, the technology of fermentation should be returned to the people... alcohol should not be a source of revenue for the government. drug use of any kind should not be advertised or encouraged, it should be allowed. people should be educated and be encouraged to take responsibility for their own actions... healthy lifestyle should be promoted, healthy food and healthy minds.
drug use should be sacred and secret, but not criminal.

alcohol users should do a responsible drinkers license... that can be lost.

any other solutions?

start with getting rid of advertising. send the email.

• Like 1