The Corroboree
Anodyne

FREE ca$h moneyzz! (small research grant)

Wow. first up i have say Kudos to you Anodyne for setting this up. It's incredibly generous, and a great way to raise the bar as far as our own little projects are concerned.

I wont submit a project due to my own lack of time, and that it would blow that budget by a long shot lol.

I look forward to seeing what projects people have in mind, and i bet there will be some amazing ideas come out of the woodwork.

Ideally it would be great to see something like this become a regular mainstay on this site, not from you Anodyne but maybe we could all pitch in, to really encourage and push what personal research people in this community do.

Reminds me of an awesome talk given by Darklight at EGA, about how to encourage what research we all do in our own time in our gardens/kitchens and how to keep ticking it over to gather valuable information and meaningful results.

Cheers, Ob.

• Like 3

Can a basic idea be posted with a more expansive explanation privately messaged to you, i think there are plenty of great ideas that we all have (mainly me though, get off my grant moochers) but most people would feel a level off discomfort posting things up that dont need to be said, i hope that sounds right

Yeah, PM me if you're shy. Don't expect too much though, I'd prefer to keep this mostly in public. I have full faith in everyones creative-writing abilities.

Obtuse - yes, I hope the idea takes off and becomes a regular thing. There are so many interesting avenues to pursue in ethnobotany, I think we collectively have a bit of disposable income, and well, no one else is going to do it.

• Like 1

Ok my idea lets see what $300 worth of mdma does to me on a Friday night, and the research continues lol.

na but seriously this is very generous of you and such a good idea we need all the research we can get. I like the idea of a fundraiser to help ppl with research and would like to help out if that ever happens.

Edited by cactuscarl

Legendary idea Ano- what a generous contribution :)

Do the results of the winner's experiment get made public?

I'm not going to enter this one, I reckon youse all have enough cool ideas out there which need to see the light

Do the results of the winner's experiment get made public?

That's the idea! :) I meant what I said about the community benefit thing - if I wanted something particular pursued for my own interest, the thread would've been about that. Although I guess the specifics will depend on the project.

Good point though, I've added that condition to the OP. Cheers Darklight.

Edited by Anodyne

I've got my own research funding problems, but I think Professors Ikramov & son who Torst mentions (here & here) (who are involved in trying to preserve Lagochilus inebrians) are much more deserving than me. If I remember rightly, they can barely even afford food(?)

I think they deserve a bit more than one grant tbh!

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=816

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=35283

I have to take my hat off to you Anodyne this is a very generous offer.

I have a few projects on the run currently however I'm not looking for any grant money, I do have a question for people who might know the Scientific process of getting a tuber nutrient levels tested? Is there a generic test used to test general vitamin and mineral content of edibles?

I am doing a bit of research on Ipomoea costata and intend on having the tubers tested for nutrient levels in comparison to other edible tubers, perhaps Ipomoea batatas potato species and maybe Dioscorea sp. But have no clue where to start with this? Heres a blog of my project so far, nothing particularly scientific about it currently but hopefully this spring I will get alot of plants in the ground at least.

https://sites.google.com/site/ipomoeacostatas/

• Like 2

I don't know if I'm up to the standards here, but it surely can't help to try:

I would like to experiment with distilling tinctures made from various plants, to get an idea of whether or not various active ingredients will be included in the precipitate. Then, I want to experiment with making combinations/potions (for a variety of uses) that are as non-toxic as possible, and not horrendous to drink.

I am also hoping to be able to grow as many of the plants I'm interested in as possible, to a) keep my supply as unlimited as possible, and B) learn as much as I can about growing in the process.

I already have free access to a distillation setup... but I could really use help affording a small but proper greenhouse setup for certain plants (and also some plants/seeds).

:)

My research that has stalled. I'm researching a particular plant, that contains a particular chemical, that under an extremely simple chemical reaction - should transform into another particular chemical (according to my research). The second of these chemicals, my research has surmised is active in humans. The first chemical - my research has determined, is not (which is also backed by the limited field-testing). There are two stages to my project:

Stage A) Cultivating this plant in a suitable manner (this will require research and skill with cultivation - there is not much room for error)
Stage B) Performing the extraction and chemical reaction (initial research indicates this to be relatively simple... but I've probably jinxed it and it'll have unforeseen difficulties)
Bonus round) Bio-assay?

Realistically, stage B cannot commence without stage A having been completed. Should my research succeed, I believe there will be available to all - a simple, discreet OTC method to produce a CB1 agonist (let's leave it at that). I'm not a qualified chemist, and there are a few assumptions (relatively benign ones I should think) that nevertheless need to be assessed for Stage B to proceed.

Now I'd like to comment that due to the nature of this plant, and my location in NZ - it's going to be extremely difficult to perform this anywhere other than NZ. I would prefer to perform it here, but that might make the funding difficult.

In terms of the funding - most of it will go towards stage A. Some prototype propagators will need to be made and tested (small ones), and for stage B one cheap reagent will need to be procured. I'm willing to disclose more in private, but for risk of intervention I won't disclose in public (until the project's momentum is too great to stop ;) ).

Immediate requirements:

* Advice from adept chemists and biologists. Enquire via PM if you'd like to help. :)

Edited by CβL
  • Like 5

Im following along the same lines as my friend above, but im going for an old trusted easy accessible, easier to grow, grass, and my research would be more as to the easy/quick/cheap removal of harmful chemicals like gramine for a more stable chemical basis before anything else was considered, this is not limited to grasses but many other specie of plant that are simple to grow but difficult to figure out, like pig face and its many amazing seasonal changes, basiclly a firm document to confirm or disprove possible myths and misinformations about many plants

A large loph distribution program, where i take many specimens i already have, and perform micro grafts on heads less than half a centimeter, i have seedlings ready to go and a whole bunch of ceaspetosa, i have all specie of loph but not locallity variations, i have crests and variagated lophs ready for such a project, after the grafts are complete it should take a week or two to swell them to 1cm plus buttons ready for distribution in our small family here on SAB, all different breeds and lots of muties, prices would start at 5 dollars each and there would be 200 upwards to go out (depending how many i can get done), the money would be used to return the initial investment to our friend to help someone else again, and to begin the next batch on a larger scale (hopefully), i reckon we could really give the loph scene a good shake up in our community here, and help a lot of budding gardeners get into it without having to pay an arm and a leg, i know some people wont like this but i reckon its about time we all grew up a bit and started sharing our lophs, or no warm milk before bed

And no offence scarecrow, but .....

I have access to all the equipment and technical knowledge I need (got a chemist in the family), and I'm actually learning about organic chemistry at the moment as part of my university course. My main interest is to simply learn as much as I can, and I feel like my idea for experimentation would be a great way for me to kickstart that learning process.

Of course, I have no delusions about the fact that there are more qualified people around (probably with more interesting research to do) than myself.

But like I said; "it surely can't help to try". Which was a typo... I meant "can't hurt to try" haha. Posting my idea just adds the possibility that people might consider helping an eager student become capable of more serious research, rather than relying entirely on existing researchers. I don't know, it makes sense to me.

I'll be doing much more research before I actually attempt anything. I am personally interested in learning as much about extractions as possible, and distillation just seems like a good place to start. But you have mentioned that distillation is of limited use... do you have a suggestion of other equipment I should look into? Most extraction techniques I've seen seem to simply use solvents and (occasionally) distillation and/or precipitation.

Edited by Torsten
  • Like 2

My main interest is to simply learn as much as I can, and I feel like my idea for experimentation would be a great way for me to kickstart that learning process.

Of course, I have no delusions about the fact that there are more qualified people around (probably with more interesting research to do) than myself.

Posting my idea just adds the possibility that people might consider helping an eager student become capable of more serious research, rather than relying entirely on existing researchers. I don't know, it makes sense to me.

Just as a byline scarecrow. Sounds like your really motivated. with regard to your uni course make that motivation known to your lecturers and lab supervisors, that you want to learn, and push them for opportunities to learn more advanced skills if you can. If you have research units as options to your course make sure you do them - you may well learn more from them than most of your course - i know i did. Academic staff love motivated students, and will be willing to help you advance your skills if they see you are pushing yourself.

I learnt a hell of a lot and was given lots of extra opportunities to learn when i was in your position. There is a hell of a lot they do NOT teach you, and you need to chase up those extra skills.

Also, and i assume you are already aware, but i cannot help but emphasise doing a small literature review with regard to theory behind your project, and also understanding the methods you are going to use, how they have been used in the past, and why. As an example, understanding why particular reagents are used in an extraction, or what may be an acceptable substitute and why - some compounds occur in minute amounts so you need to use or develop the most efficient technique possible.

Cheers, Ob.

• Like 5

I'll change the title back to something sensible soon, just wanted to see if anyone reads it now. :P

Whoever would've thought there'd be so few takers for this?

• Like 4

Ok, well if you want more people, I'll put my name in the hat.

Currently I am working on a Recipe Book that covers many entheogenic plants and fungi. I am biassaying everything myself and recording effects and potentialities, as well as doing minor "field work." This will eventually be published in the future for everyone to have access to an "Entheogenic Cookbook."

So far recipes include:

Mayan Chocolate

MJ butter and recipes

Tinctures of HBWR, and other herbs

Psychedelic teas and brews

Painkilling and Anodyne recipes ;)

Stimulants

Snuffs

Oils

Cleansers and purgatives

And more to come I'm sure

The recipe book will come with many warnings on the dangers of following this path, especially from my own personal experience, and how to proceed with caution and harm minimization.

Also, many recipes will have modern twists, with more nontraditional based ingredients, but not without extensive testing first. All recipes are made out of raw materials and do not include any synthetic chemical extractions.

The grant will go towards research materials and processing equipment.

Thank you for your consideration.

Edited by Roopey
  • Like 8

C'maaan, a simple, clear and concise experiment that will deliver a definite result can hardly hiding in a sandpit with a t-shirt over it's head can it?

Anodyne is making a lovely offer.

He's not asking you to design the Large Hadron Collider

Something as elegant as say, looking at the difference between cutting types or root lengths and types in a couple of different propagation mixes for a single legal species could cut it.

You don't even need to use the $300 entirely, just ask for enough to cover your expenses, and log it as comprehensively as possible so both the process and outcome are clear and repeatable

Really, science isn't *hard*. It's systematic. It takes observation and care in experiment design, and continuity of information distribution. That's available to everyone

• Like 2

Title: Will the application of Chitosan increase alkoloid production in Enthobotanicals?

Hypothesis: Yes! - Refer to post #9 in this thread more details - http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34891

Basic Method (currently lacking much thought):

1. Gather a bunch of enthobotanical seeds / cuttings.
  2. Set up two groups of X amount of <INSERT ETHNOBOTANICAL PLANTS>
  3. Ensure the same conditions apply to both plants - (water frequency, water amount, fertilisers amount, sunlight duration, soil composition etc.)
  4. Apply Chitosan to one group of plants on a regular and systematic basis (leaving the other as the control group).
  5. After X period of time, perform an extraction on both groups of plants.
  6. Analyse and compare quantity of alkoloids between the control group and Chitosan enhanced group.
  7. Report back to SAB!

Note: This experiment must only be done with plants that extractions are legal!

Preferably plants with interesting health benefits or other exciting qualities. Perhaps something like Calea or similar that would be legal and is known to contain alkoloids would be a great place to start.

Chitosan in supplement form is available as a Fat Burner:

http://www.vitaminking.com.au/fat-absorber-weight-management-liposorb-by-good-health.html

http://www.vitaminking.com.au/weight-loss-supplements-fat-blocker-120-caps-by-thompson-nutrition-limited.html

Evidence to suggest this may be a good experiment:

Application of chitin and chitosan as elicitors of coumarins and fluoroquinolone alkaloids in Ruta graveolens L. (common rue).
Orlita A, Sidwa-Gorycka M, Paszkiewicz M, Malinski E, Kumirska J, Siedlecka EM, Łojkowska E, Stepnowski P.
Source

Faculty of Chemistry, University of Gdañsk, ul. Sobieskiego 18, PL 80-952 Gdańsk, Poland.

Abstract:
Common rue (Ruta graveolens L.) accumulates various types of secondary metabolites, such as coumarins furanocoumarins, acridone and quinolone alkaloids and flavonoids. Elicitation is a tool extensively used for enhancing secondary-metabolite yields. Chitin and chitosan are examples of elicitors inducing phytoalexin accumulation in plant tissue. The present paper describes the application of chitin and chitosan as potential elicitors of secondary-metabolite accumulation in R. graveolens shoots cultivated in vitro. The simple coumarins, linear furanocoumarins, dihydrofuranocoumarins and fluoroquinolone alkaloids biosynthesized in the presence of chitin and chitosan were isolated, separated and identified. There was a significant increase in the growth rate of R. graveolens shoots in the presence of either chitin or chitosan. Moreover, the results of the elicitation of coumarins and alkaloids accumulated by R. graveolens shoots in the presence of chitin and chitosan show that both compounds induced a significant increase in the concentrations of nearly all the metabolites. Adding 0.01% chitin caused the increase in the quantity (microg/g dry weight) of coumarins (pinnarin up to 116.7, rutacultin up to 287.0, bergapten up to 904.3, isopimpinelin up to 490.0, psoralen up to 522.2, xanhotoxin up to 1531.5 and rutamarin up to 133.7). The higher concentration of chitosan (0.1%) induced production of simple coumarins (pinnarin up to 116.7 and rutacultin up to 287.0), furanocoumarins (bergapten up to 904.3, isopimpinelin up to 490.0, psoralen up to 522.2, xanhotoxin up to 1531.5) and dihydrofuranocoumarins (chalepin up to 18 and rutamarin up to 133.7). Such a dramatic increase in the production of nearly all metabolites suggests that these compounds may be participating in the natural resistance mechanisms of R. graveolens. The application of chitin- and chitosan-containing media may be considered a promising prospect in the biotechnological production of xanthotoxin, isopimpinelin, psoralen, chalepin or methoxylated dictamnine derivatives.

Unfortunately I don't have time, and more importantly the chemistry knowledge, experience, skills, equipment etc, to do an experiment like this justice. Certainly not to a level that would warrant a $300 investment. I hope someone likes the idea though and investigates it someday, as I'd love to know the results.

This thread was a great idea Anodyne!

• Like 4

"All the theories in the world won't help if you don't run an experiment. Just do it. And take good notes"

Haha just saw your signature DL. Very appropriate in this thread. Love it!

Justler, something similar could be easily run with a control group and one or two other groups using different amounts of those fungal additives, Trichoderma etc

You could chart growth, root length and use TLC ( or a spectro if you have one ) to visualise the active ingredient and see if there is any variation in treated vs untreated plants

You'd want about 5-10 plants per group, randomised throughout the growing area to iron out hot or cold spots. Start with all plants from same source and same age in same mix

See? Something simple. And cool. Take about six months. Give nice data.

• Like 1

Ok, I will announce a winner on June 1st.

So if anyone is being all shy & humble, stop it at once! and post your ideas.

p.s. I lied about changing the title back - I like this one better :lol:

• Like 1

Winner pending, am waiting on a few details to be confirmed - announcement tomorrow or Monday.

I would like to research various ethnobotanical aphrodisiacs- 300 buks could come in handy in purchasing said products :) best I can come up with.

Yay for a windfall of money I wish it wouldnfreakin happen to me :) like 300k just falling out of the sky , that's all I want! I'm not greedy! 300k would almost have me a made man!

And the winner is... CβL, for his propagation project. I hope someone answers his call for advice - anyone with advanced organic chemistry skills or any experience cultivating bryophytes could be very helpful here.

I am excited about Roopey's recipe book too, and will try to help out with that in the future if I can.

Thankyou everyone for your interest and support. :)

• Like 6