The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
rkundalini

Customs Act -- new additions?

Hello all...

I am having real trouble working out what the laws are in Australia, I think austlii is a bit too crap for that purpose. Seems there are multiple, differing entries for many things, and the schedules seem to be missing from the tables of contents. Anyway, I found the following page:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/disp.pl/...uery=%22mbdb%22

which has a number of worrisome implications concerning illegal imports. For example it includes:

Plants and parts of plants of the species Argyreia nervosa, Ipomoea hederacea, Ipomoea tricolor, Ipomoea violacea, Papaver bracteatum, Piptadenia peregrina (Anadenanthera peregrina) or Rivea corymbosa or of any species of the genus Lophophora Coulter

Psilocine (otherwise known as 3-(2-dimethylaminoethyl)-4-hydroxyindole), including all fungi that contain psilocine

harmine/harmine except as a component of Tribulus terrestris

... they seem to be getting more savvy on the plant carriers.... Does this imply that we are breaking the law if we order MG or peyote seeds from overseas? I think so...

Originally posted by rkundalini:

Does this imply that we are breaking the law if we order MG or peyote seeds from overseas? I think so...

I've been telling you all this for years. It is even on the SAB site. I do not make statements on customs, drug and TGA laws unless I am certain of them and can quote the source. I do not work from Austlii, but actually buy all the acts and schedules and subscribe to the updates. I wish people would believ me.

yes, all of the above are illegal imports. I have been listed with offences for Papaver somniferum, Argyreia nervosa, Anadenanthera peregrina, Lophophora williamsii and a few more. Customs has this method of not prosecuting first offences (so far). However they seem to keep a list of offences in case you ever do it again. Quarantine works on a similar method and they told me about it. They know that they don't have much success prosecuting for a first infringement, so they wait for a second time and then you can't say you didn't know.

The list is a lot more extensive too. All seeds that contain ibogaine (even in traces) are illegal, any part of the yohimbe plant is illegal and worst of all any seed that contains a listed substance is also prohibited. if you have been getting some seeds through, then that is because either they didn't see them, or they are not aware of that species and the substance implications yet. I am sure many more will be added to the inofficial list (ie those that are implied illegal due to content) soon.

Torsten, I know you do all the hard work and look in all the physical copies etc but the info you've compiled on it isn't available to the rest of us in any easily accessible form. You may be an expert but the rest of us are still guessing from our incomplete access to the sources. So it's not a matter of not believing you, it's a matter of not having access to the information you do. If you get frustrated with our guesswork then you need to set us straight. For example, where in your pages does it say that Lophophora seeds are a prohibited import?

Torsten made teh same mistake as well

thouses customs law's and b/s change that

it's not funney

if you want a uptodate and complete list

theres a place online that you can pay (they love your money!) thema small fee

and they will send you a book of paper with

everthing in it, think they last for 3 nmonths ant got one since last year so by now that would be useless

not shure if they will send over sea's or not

but it's the only way to keep up with the laws for a bit

pyro will see if he's got the link for that site

not shure thoug after thy formatt could of lost it

to pyro that was the only refence anything on the net was incomplete or old

hope that helps

pyro

They have info on illegal or controlled imports at the health site. www.health.gov.au/

Doing a search of the site usually brings up something not to be happy about.

Later.

Originally posted by rkundalini:

Torsten, I know you do all the hard work and look in all the physical copies etc but the info you've compiled on it isn't available to the rest of us in any easily accessible form.

I have it listed under the relevant species.

You may be an expert but the rest of us are still guessing from our incomplete access to the sources. So it's not a matter of not believing you, it's a matter of not having access to the information you do.

I found that even handing out copies of the acts did not convince people, so my frustration is in general rather than specific. I actually found that most people prefer to whinge and complain about the authorities rather than finding out the proper details of the situation. Never let truth stand in the way of a good story wink.gif

(this does not apply to you though!!)

If you get frustrated with our guesswork then you need to set us straight. For example, where in your pages does it say that Lophophora seeds are a prohibited import?

Damn, caught me out on the one I missed wink.gif

I don't think there is much point in me putting up an additional page, but maybe I can send you all the details so you can put them on yours.

pyro, I quite like staying in touch with the law myself. it gives me a better understanding of the way and the speed of new laws appearing. My interests go a lot further than drugs anyway, with quarantine, TGA, state laws, customs, pharmacy,......

I began learning about the law in relation to my rights when I first came to SAB. I know a bit more now, even counting inaccuracies in my superficial knowledge, the situation is pretty grim. From what I can tell, the law is such that in most cases, it can be bent in just about any way they want, to convict and oppress the freedom to alter the chemistry of your own mind in any way whatsoever, outside of the socially acceptable means.

I have read Rkundalini's WebPages and read bits and pieces between Alchemind, Erowid and listened to the talk about it on the forums, it is worth knowing. While the situation is still fairly grim, humanity does appear to be coming into a realistic consensus, on the issue of dealing with drugs of sacramental, entertainment and augmentative use in our society, in a civilized and intelligent manner. Drugs are obviously an integral and unavoidable part of our existence. This particular situation demands realistic action from government, it is action we will get, as well, in time.

[This message has been edited by ?SaToriBluE? (edited 30 August 2001).]

"rights" .. heh heh .. in Australia there are no rights. Then again, even if we did have rights they would probably be ignored, as they are in Amerika (which has a Bill of Rights).

Torsten, I think an additional page would be great, or if it is easier for you, you could email info to me and I could assemble it into my pages. But I understand it would take quite some time and you are busy -- this is why I have not asked until now. But since you mention it wink.gif... it is clear esp from a couple of other currently active threads, that you have a very detailed knowledge of the law as it pertains especially to plants and plant parts. Given how common questions are on these topics, online info would be great.

I agree, that this topic is being re-done in the forums over and over and seems to waste a lot more time than doing it on a webpage properly. I'll do the pages or lists of additions and will either e-mail them to you or put them directly on the server (your choice). We really need people to look into the other state acts though as I have virtually no knowledge of those. Anyone up for that (ie anyone who knows where the government bookshop is)?