The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
CβL

Nut/Seed ID please

Question

What is this strange nut? I collected it last year from Kawau island, next to the old homestead. It's been cluttering around ever since then, so I want to finally find out what it is - so I can grow it, or eat it. :)

Here is the nut in question:

gallery_7332_400_825313.jpg

gallery_7332_400_90560.jpg

I took this photo of a tree from near where I found the nut, but I can't remember if I took the photo because I knew it was the tree the nut came from, or because it was just a tree I wanted to ID. But I can tell that the photo I took was primarily for ID reasons, (as it's not my usual stunning photography :innocent_n: ) so it has a high chance of being the mum tree.

gallery_7332_400_430595.jpg

Thanks in advance. :)

12 answers to this question

wow, cant help you there. never seen anything quite like that before. rather awesome isnt it. lets hope some of the great people here can ID it for you. i for one, will be keeping an eye on this thread.

• Like 1

maybe something in Fagaceae? looks kind of like some kind of chestnut..

A fair amount of searching looking for nuts, beeches, chestnut types, Macadamias (the tree looks like a Macadamia relative) turned up nothing. There is a superficially similar 'Black walnut', but it doesn't look the same in any way.

I found this: http://www.doc.govt.nz/documents/getting-involved/students-and-teachers/field-trips-by-region/kawau-island-flora.pdf

And am searching through the listed plants for information.

It says Quercus Ilex is here - which looks extremely similar to the plant I took an ID photo of. But it doesn't have funny black nuts - just standard acorns. :/
:

Quercus Ilex (Holly Oak)

Quercus-ilex-4.jpg

Edited by CβL

I thought this would be a lot easier than it's proving to be. :|

Just to be clear, the wrinkly black outer layer is very hard, and feels comparable in hardness to the shell of a macadamia (I scratched the bottom with a knife to test). It's quite dense and solid (no rattling), and would weigh as much as two Macadamia nuts or so. It's about the size of an eyeball. I can take further photos if necessary.
I've checked almost all the plants listed in that .pdf, and no black nuts appeared. Either I'm an egg - or this is a bit of a mystery nut indeed. :)
Would be mint if it was a very rare plant growing, and no-one had IDed it correctly before (entirely possible). :P

Governor Gray was into growing some unusual plants, and animals. He had zebra's and what not grazing around the mansion back in the day. I am fairly certain I've come across that nut before but its been a long long time since I've seen one.

You been there? That place is epic. I'm fairly sure there was a few uncommon Acacias growing there too (I have photos of what are very likely Maidenii, or at least another long-phyllode species). I didn't know he had zebras though haha. I did know that he was so good at wallaby conservation that Australia asked for some them back. ;)
If I can find out how to grow this nut, I'll grow it to get a better idea of what it is.

a somewhat shriveled horse chestnut Aesculus hippocastanum!

• Like 1

The plant in your first pic isn't though

Does look a lot like an Aesculus - but I think a bit more like A. glabra (as the hilum [that's the name for the little white patch where it attaches to the plant?] seems way too huge on A. hippocastanum)

A. glabra:
800px-Aesculus_glabra_seeds.png

Aesculus hippocastanum:

Aesculus-hippocastanum2.jpg

Aesculus Indica!

CFG5675.jpg

Pretty sure these are them, or another Aesculus. Thanks for your help paradox. :)

• Like 2

looks like this one been fiqured out then aye. i ate some thing called longans the other day and thought the seed was just like those you have. though the leaves dont look right.