The Corroboree

Hi Melbourne-area Growers,

Let's have the next meet on Sunday the 5th of May. 12 Noon. At the Tecoma Pavillion, Melbourne Royal Botanical Gardens. It's near RBG's Gate C, and at D1 on map 2L of the Melways. Doesn't seem to be any holiday.

It will be a good time for the collection of local therapeutic fungi. Maybe a discussion on the identification of popular local plants found in the wild?

Hopefully it won't be raining on the 5th (but will be on the days surrounding that date.)

Cheers,

Carl

• Like 4

It's on now on my calendar :)

fungi, eh? sounds like a riot. i'm down!

Looks like i can make this, nice one Carl and Co

• Like 1

Sounds good

Nice one Carl, I'll be there :)

3 weeks to go :)

I should mention that at the last plant meet we were confronted by a couple of botanical park staff and were questioned about the plants we had in pots that various members had brought along to trade. The questions were along the lines of. ... "Who are you people?, what are you doing with all these plants?, what makes these plants so special that yous want to trade them? are any in flower?" etc... He even asked about the soil. I understand there were concerns about us bringing in a pest plant that may drop seed and spread, or some virus or bacteria, but it was other questions that were not of his concern/business that annoyed me. We were told we should finish up our meet and take our plants with us. I think he thought we had plans on doing some guerrilla gardening.

So at the next plant meet, we need to be more discreet and bring plants in bags, boxes or leave them in the car and do a direct car to car transfer. Lol, i feel like we are criminals (or are made to feel like criminals...nothing new in this day and age though).

:)

• Like 2

Hey Sabry, welcome to the forum. Be great if you could make it to the meet, always good to see new faces.

Um....about your signature, nice photos, but maybe you could reduce them in size a bit, and lay them side by side?! :)

See you at the meet.

Thanks! Heh, yeah still getting use to having to mess with the sizes of the images, removed for now!

^ Its just that when on a small device like an ipod or phone, big signatures take up a bit of the page,lol, and lets say you posted several times in a thread, then it would also use more data, and be slow to load for those on dial up. The pics are fine, but, yeah, would be better a bit smaller :)

• Like 1

I missed the last one and it looks like I might have to skip this one too, going to MardiGrass!

Hey Carl, good job getting things rolling.

I *think* I will be able to make it.

Not sure I can bring the flute along yet Amz, its quite big, I dont have a case for it yet, but I can bring my bits and bobs, and the spare fetishes for the top if you feel like doing some commission work!

^ Yeah... we can have a look Plant Boy. I will help you with your flute, if you teach me how to play mine. :wink:

Edit: My flutes don't have cases, but one of them has a thick tapestry sheath which works quite well. I am sure you could construct something suitable.

Edited by Amazonian

Should I bring something? I could bring some snacks, drinks, or alcohol (beer? :D)or something.

• Like 1

^ Any one of the above somethings would be nice scarecrow :)

I'll bring a 6pack at least then. If I can convince my friend to split with me, maybe we can bring a keg!

we shall eat, drink and make merry!

beware garden gnomes

Im going to bring a special new invention of mine! I hope y'all like strange tasty beverages.

Amz, I can teach you what I know, once you have the basics it is just experimentation to find different ways of making it sounds good.

Hi All,

Wow, this coming Sunday, just a few days away.

At this time, the BOM is predicting a few scattered showers for the day.

Suppose we should be discrete about bringing potted plants and cuttings into the Gardens, so the staff don't have to worry about assorted negative impacts. (My bad.)

Maybe it could also be the inaugural meeting of the MMM, too. (Melbourne's Mushroom Munchers) Anyone want to bring along a fresh specimen or two, for training/exhibition purposes?

Cheers,

Carl

I'm keen to learn everything I can about mushroom picking :)

Suppose we should be discrete about bringing potted plants and cuttings into the Gardens, so the staff don't have to worry about assorted negative impacts. (My bad.)

Lol, don't feel bad for your generosity Carl, its all good :) .

I will return some empty pots to you, and a bag or two of potting mix.