The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
somnif

Australia & support of the death penalty

Looks like the Howard government is supporting the

death penalty:

quote:

Australian Prime Minister John Howard said the execution of bin Laden would be welcomed. Asked by the US Fox network if he would welcome bin Laden being put to death, he replied: "I think everybody would." He said the al-Qaeda leader should be dealt with in accordance with US law, which allowed capital punishment.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said few tears would be shed over bin Laden's death and indicated Australia would not raise its normal objections to capital punishment.

If they changed our flag to the stars and stripes

next week, I would no longer be surprised.

I wouldn't be surprised either.

I don't care much about bin laden, but I think a life sentence would probably be enough for him...but if I would get a hold of THIS sucker, I'd probably slice him into pieces myself:

Tortured boy dies craving affection

Craig Spann

07mar03

TYLER Newton was so desperate for affection he sought it from the man who tortured him.

Despite being bashed and abused repeatedly by his stepfather Vernon Mott, three-year-old Tyler would cling to Mott's leg and rode around on his shoulders in front of others.

"It demonstrates how utterly trusting children of that age are and what a gross breach of trust it was for you to treat this little boy in such a cruel and callous manner," Judge Debbie Richards told Mott yesterday before jailing him.

Tyler's mother was also jailed yesterday for torturing and mistreating him.

Rachel Anne Newton and her husband Vernon Thomas Mott were found guilty earlier this week over the treatment of the boy at the end of a lengthy trial in the Ipswich District Court.

Judge Richards yesterday sentenced Mott, 30, to eight years in prison after a jury found him guilty on the charge of torture and two counts of assault – he had earlier pleaded guilty to a further four assault counts.

Newton, 22, was sentenced to three years on the charge of cruelty to a child. She was also found guilty of assault. No recommendations for parole were made.

Although the couple were originally charged with murdering Tyler on September 11, 2001, those charges were dropped last year and the jury was not told during the torture and cruelty trial that the boy had died.

During yesterday's sentence hearing, the court heard that Tyler had been repeatedly punched, beaten and kicked by Mott resulting in injuries similar to those from a "high-speed car crash". Judge Richards rejected defence claims Mott was guilty of "excessive discipline".

The court heard that in one case, Mott punched the boy three times in the face as Tyler tried to stand up.

She said the boy had also been subjected to continued emotional abuse at the hands of Mott who, in one case, made the boy run around the back yard until he cried and was known to introduce the boy as Newton's "c - - - of a kid".

"He must have suffered severe emotional and physical pain," Judge Richards said.

In sentencing Newton to three years' jail, Judge Richards said the mother did not show any remorse and had not even appeared "upset" about Mott's actions.

The court also heard that Newton did nothing to stop the abuse despite advice from concerned friends that she either seek help or leave Mott, who Judge Richards said Newton clearly "preferred" over her own son.

"You had a responsibility to protect a boy of three, your child, who was suffering at the hands of Mott," Judge Richards said.

"This was a breach of the trust between a child and his mother."

...................................................I'm definitely not for the death penalty, but sometimes I could forget.....eight years...what a joke...

[ 08. March 2003, 07:11: Message edited by: gomaos ]

Why is it Im not surprised everytime I read something like this and they live in Ipswich... *sighs* just for once Id like to see something good come out of that place. Oh yeah besides "alfie" langer

sliced to pieces? way too fast, staked to an anthill and occasionally sprinkled with salt would be more fitting.

Just read that psylocibe thread, about the USA making it more illegal:

Here's the warped logic of conservative law-makers:

A man beats a boy to death extremely torturously over 3 months, which is worse than murder, and gets 8 years.

A couple of years ago I heard about a man in Brisbane who grew an attic full of dope and got 15 years.

Now in USA the production of a non-toxic pretty harmless entheogen like psylocibin carries the max penalty of 20 years...

These laws are as warped as those that almost had Galileo killed for saying the earth revolves around the sun.

Justice? A joke! I spit on it!

"Now in USA the production of a non-toxic pretty harmless entheogen like psylocibin carries the max penalty of 20 years..."

I guess you didnt hear about the 'drug free zone' laws they enacted around schools and parks. A few years ago (just after the laws took effect) a kid brought 0.25 ounces (7 grams) of pot to school, got caught, and got a LIFE SENTENCE. They are arresting so many people for pot that it is common practice to let killers, rapists, and armed robbers out early so they can make room for more people who got caught with a gram of weed.

You got to wonder about a government who thinks smoking a joint in the privacy of your own home is worse than rape.

A kid(!!!!!!!)got a life sentence for 7 grams of dope?

Jeezez motherfucking christ!

The USA is just as terrible a place as Saudi Arabia and those other countries surrounding it.

OK. Soon I'll believe that Bush IS the greater threat to world peace!

[ 10 March 2003, 22:00: Message edited by: gomaos ]

As I remember the kid was 16, so thats just 8.57 years in jail for each gram.

Here are some averages:

If you kill someone you are sentenced to 15 years and serve 7.

If you rape someone you are sentenced to 9 years and 8 months and you serve 5 years and 1 month.

Violent crime in general gives a sentence of 7 years and 1 month and you serve 3 years and 3 months.

Why all the reduced sentences for violent crime? Because the system is so overloaded with people busted for drug posession and use that each year 5% of the population of the USA serves time in jail.