The Corroboree
Drgreen

Is catha edulis posible in TAS??

His guys, im a newbie here and thought id kick it of with what to some/all may think is a dud topic lol.

Is it all posible to grow khat in tas climate? No is most likely the answer but maybe with some assistants??

Ideas and views greatly apreciated, thanks

Absolutely definitely YES :wink:

Khat will grow very happily here in tas. In fact now that the weather is coming good they are gonna go crazzzy

:devil:

In a pot, or in the ground, no problem. They withstand frost, but new leaves get burned easily by both sun and cold.

Edited by obtuse
  • Like 2

Are all strains equally as hardy? I found that 'Narrow Leaf' did better in The Blue Mountains than the red form, but they were more established plants and they seem stronger growing anyway.

That is awesome! so there would be a chance of sourcing khat locally?? If you guys could help me out that would be great :) im not up to trade state yet as ive just started out but am willing to pay cash...

Would the ephadra be just as hearty to??

Thanks for the help and input guys.

ephedras come in many different variety's, and many of them will love to grow in tas.

they will grow better there, than on the mainland.

some ephedras are frost hardy down to minus 25 deg c.

PM me Drgreen, i may be able to give you cuttings. need to check my plant. I gave away a whole heap over the summer, but i recall keeping one of the more sickly ones. They are damn easy to make cuttings of, but i may need to make some more, depending.

White wind, i have red, and a few crosses, and they seems fine. we have real temperature extremes here, although not the real mountainous cold where i am. would like to get narrow leaf, i had some seeds but they didnt germinate and i suspect they were all immature.

Ephedra, would survive fine i would think [beat me to it planthelper], but i keep killing mine through neglect before they get established.

Cheers.

Edited by obtuse
  • Like 1

Thankyou all for your imput guys, this newbie is on his way :)

Pm sent obtuse, I hope lol. Computers aren't really my things.

Drgreen message me regarding ephedra seeds and I'll sort you something out.

• Like 1

yes its is more than possible. I move mine to a greenhouse for winter as I cop mountain conditions,including snow.

Red and NL seem to cope the best. But I have no real issues with any of the varieties I have played with.

Keeping phedras well drained would be the key during the wet winter.

EDIT - I'll set about some NLs for the tassie boys this coming spring if there is interest

Edited by waterboy

Obtuse has been a slack boy again.... and incredibly pre-occupied.

Sorry Dr Green, i did have a look and it turns out i must have given all my rooted cuttings away. I was downsizing my garden over summer.

I will go set some up today, but you may have to wait till spring. But the thing with plants is patience (especially if it involves me it seems).

Waterboy, i definitely have an interest in some NL.

Cheers, Ob.

• Like 2

Haha no problem at all ob, spring is the go with the way this weather has kicked it up a notch lol, but thanks for dropping a line in mate :)

I also would be interested in the NL if posible waterboy

Cheers guys dG

• Like 2

Khat is not a prohibited live plant in TAS, but harvested or dried material falls under the definition of "substance" and hence you could be prosecuted for possession of controlled substance cathinone.

It is not a prohibited live plant in Tas :wink:.

EDIT - come spring hit me up you two-headed two

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 1

no, nobody sells it.

some kind individuals have been known to give them away. im still waiting for cuttings to set roots.

havent been home for a couple of months so i cant say yay or nay sorry

Cheers, Ob.

• Like 2