The Corroboree
stjimi

Reverse Auction.

I have seen this on another site so I thought I would try it now.

I have been trying to buy some cacti for a while. Someone was going to sell me some but it fell through. I have been given a couple by some of the many exceptionally wonderful and generous members on this site.

That being said. I have some money set aside to get Cacti and would like to plant some before it gets to cold and I get too busy.

So i am looking for Bridgesii clones that I don't have (or don't have enough of): Pyche, Yowie, Bruce, Eileen, Bendigo or any other interesting ones.

I am offering $100 + postage for as much as possible to be sent to Adelaide by Friday.

The winner of the reverse auction is the member who offers the most. Entries close 10:02am CSt Tommorrow. 19th march.

if you don't won't money please tell me what charity you want me to give it too on your behalf.

cheers,

St jimi

• Like 2

yowie is pachanoid not bridgesii

pyche? do you mean psycho0?

edit: on a not unrelated note i was thinking your name was "stimji", not "st jimi",

Edited by qualia

Yowie is PC? Shows how embarrasingly green I am.

I did mean Pycho_0 and my name is stjimi. It sucks writing on my phone!

yowie is not PC: is pachanoid (as mentioned) - most likely what is sometimes refered to as 'true pachanoi', (please correct me if i am wrong, hard to keep up with it all)

So a pachnoid is a cross breed? Or is it a more 'pure' variety? I am still not sure about the taxonomy of cacti. How different does the characteristics need to be to constitute a new name? Is Bridgesii and Pachanoi different species? I was under the impressions that species can't interbreed? Yet there seems to be as many cross breeds as there is pure breed. Perhaps this rule doesn't apply to cactus or maybe they are sub-species? I need to do some googling.

That didn't work

:unsure:

So a pachnoid is a cross breed? Or is it a more 'pure' variety? I am still not sure about the taxonomy of cacti. How different does the characteristics need to be to constitute a new name? Is Bridgesii and Pachanoi different species? I was under the impressions that species can't interbreed? Yet there seems to be as many cross breeds as there is pure breed. Perhaps this rule doesn't apply to cactus or maybe they are sub-species? I need to do some googling.

Yes pachanoi and bridgesii are different species and different species can certainly interbreed. You are more likely to find hybrid trichocereus than "pure strain" - which argueably doesn't even exist as human have been selectively cultivating, propogating and breeding trichocereus for desirable traits and atributes for thousands of years.

Things don't always work how you want them to round here, but atleast you got to learn a couple things hey.

Maybe you would have more takers if you edit the topic title and state that you are looking for bridgesii clones?

Edited by bogfrog
  • Like 1

Yes pachanoi and bridgesii are different species and different species can certainly interbreed. You are more likely to find hybrid trichocereus than "pure strain" - which argueably doesn't even exist as human have been selectively cultivating, propogating and breeding trichocereus for desirable traits and atributes for thousands of years.

Fascinating. So a Yowie is closest to the "pure strain" being a "real Pachanoi"?

What incredibly fun it would be to intentionally breed your own cactus using other varieties that have characteristics that you admire. The possibilities would be endless. I can't wait untill my little ones flower to continue the 1000 year virtue.

Things don't always work how you want them to round here, but atleast you got to learn a couple things hey.

Maybe you would have more takers if you edit the topic title and state that you are looking for bridgesii clones?

That is true! :) I am probably a bit too eager and need to have more patience. At the moment I am really busy but have some stretches of time off where I can do some gardening, I should probably check more regularly and slowly build up my collection rather than try and get everything all at once. I will take your advice on the edit.

BTW most* of you seeds have germinated and are growing really slowly. Can't wait for then to grow and flower! thanks again.

*some