The Corroboree
tizocAu

I need I d please.

Question

Hi I got this cacti that has sick. Im showing pictures of whTs left of the cacti. I se similarities to what is shown matucana or huca. Please take a look and comment. The matucana dont have pronounced v shape indentations like this one.

20130224_130325.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks jox ill be seeing him this week and ill get the name :) I planted it yesterday it was a massively thick arm

Weaselloph, I can say with certainty it is not a Polaskia Sp (sorry Jox), I have a large Polaskia Chichipe in my collection and it doe not look alike, just my opinion.

Looks like Stetsonia Coryne to me ?

Web pic;

Stetsonia-coryne-small.jpg

P.S Sorry for the hijack, I didn't start it :wacko: just made the problem worse :lol:

• Like 1

Its ok. This post has gotten lots of attention. I dont blame anyone

Cheers man. With regards to your first plant I think its a Tricocereus possibly a Peru or Pach and a bloody beauty at that if you take a few 'good' sections from it you could have some quite unique plants.

Edited by Hellonasty

^^ I'm sorry also, I will take back my guess & would say your better off listening to Hellonasty :). After looking at your photos today I noticed it as more spines per areole & different spine formation that my P.chichipe. Here are a few photos of my P.chichipe

post-11291-0-96303500-1363825032_thumb.j post-11291-0-08281600-1363825113_thumb.j

post-11291-0-06813100-1363825384_thumb.j post-11291-0-36605100-1363825550_thumb.j

Sorry again, was just trying to help :wink:.

Cheers

jox

post-11291-0-96303500-1363825032_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-08281600-1363825113_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-06813100-1363825384_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-36605100-1363825550_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-96303500-1363825032_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-08281600-1363825113_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-06813100-1363825384_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-36605100-1363825550_thumb.jpg

Nice plant Jox, I don't believe there are too many in circulation in Aus. Be sure to Propagate and share, have you seen how big they can get ?

I believe they have a habit of cresting also.

Edited by Hellonasty
  • Like 1

@ Weazel - My best edumacated guess would be some form of Steno... I've been looking at quite alot of them in the last few daze and I think it fits the profile better
but don't consider mine an expert opinion :P but once again I really don't think thats a stets and thats the 3rd times this week that I don't think a cactus is a Stetsonia laff

@ Tizoc, I agree that your plant should come out looking beautiful... I would guess someone treated it like a sonoran desert cactus which its not lol
I agree that TRUE Pachanois often have long spines but I agree that yours is likely in the Peruvianus/Pachanoi complex ...Especially at the base it looks quite pachanoid... There is no doubt in my mind thats a tricho... I think thats how they look when grown with too much sun/not enuff h20 in Arizona desert conditions lol

Im looking forward to seeing what new growth will look like as I am sure others are...

Edited by Spine Collector

The guy at the nursey was selling em for 40 dollars. I told him that it had rot and also he also tood me they were snowed on and frozen. Hes a nice guy and gave it to me for 10 dollars. He had others. I want to go back and take pictures of healty ones so I can get an idea what the healthy ones look like. I went ahead and repotted the base stump. And put a dry medium. The tops are dryied and ready for potting. I had thinking riversand and shade wile it roots. And check for roots every 2 weeks?

Edited by tizoc4u

Hrm.. .yeah that would be cool! You are in Zone 8b?? Me too!! Maybe I can drive there :P lol

I guess if you are in the high desert in cali u can find more of these in a nursery nearby. Pm me if your interested

well

I am really baffled as to why eg said the original cactus was a Stetsonia

Its definately a semi monstrosa or really fucked and stressed monstrosa pachanoi. N

The second cactus might be a Pachycereus, maybe a pecten aboriginum [should have reddish spines at the tip when actively growing] , but hey it could easily be a lot of things like say a Stenocereus?

http://postimage.org/'>P1090496.jpg

here's mine

The third cactus , Hellonasty, yeah that's a Stetsonia coryne alright!

• Like 1

I went back to the nursery and took pics. I told the guys about the rot and he gave ne another monstrose. Haha. So happy

post-12597-0-04520600-1364072465_thumb.j

post-12597-0-44853600-1364072504_thumb.j

post-12597-0-04520600-1364072465_thumb.jpg

post-12597-0-44853600-1364072504_thumb.jpg

post-12597-0-04520600-1364072465_thumb.jpg

post-12597-0-44853600-1364072504_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Definitely T. pachanoi.

~Michael~

Yeah thats definately a pachanoi. :)

The first one maybe too but the Angle the Spines have reminded me of a very retarded Stetsonia. Its not a problem to ID typical plants but i´ve also seen plants that did not fit any of the classic Phenotypes because they had a rough life and i thought it would be one of them. There basically were almost no real spines on the lower (rotting) part of the plant while there were some on the top so i was under the impression its just a Stetsonia or a Cereus. Areoles didnt look typical either. Just make yourself the work and google cereus Repandus and you know what i mean. Imagine that plant with no spines on the bottom and a few on top. You know, its not a problem for some to say "pachanoi" because they dont the lookalikes that are out there. So maybe it´s a Pachanoi, so what? I tried to help him with the ID and im glad for Tizoc he got a healthier plant because this one was close to death. bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

Very Cool! if that's 4 ribbed it would be the first 4 ribbed Pach I've ever seen! Even if its Monstrose that would still give me a chub haha

No its actually a 5 ribbed. I did a double take. The spines are super long so I take it that its not a PC pach right?? Thank you guys for sharing your thoughts and concerns about my cacti. I went ahead and googled it and I see what your saying. Thanks eg.

Regarding that big oup I posted thankyou everyone for the opinions the person I got it off got told to remember victoria and oreocereus and was told it wss extremely rare. I took a picture to my nursery and they said it was the sanguaro gigantea ?? Im going to get more and mught have to send one out to someone for closer inspection :P

Untill then I hope you guys dont mind more eye candy for I.D

post-12595-0-13093500-1364119220_thumb.j

post-12595-0-13093500-1364119220_thumb.jpg

post-12595-0-13093500-1364119220_thumb.jpg

second picture the top cactus is a Myrtillocactus geametrizans i think....

@ Tizoc, yes that is most definitely not a PC Pach.. PC's are all one clone all of the same plant and thus why they are self infertile, and though even they can look a bit different in different conditions, they are one of the easiest to spot and probably one of the hardiest ime... however I think there are possibly some PC Pach hybrids out there in the mix... I've got 2 or 3 plants I suspect maybe to be PC'ish but not all the way PC

Not just the spines but PC's don't come in monstrose either ... I had never seen so many v notches as in the blue one you posted but most of my PCs take on a lighter bluish tone and I think it has more to do with heat and sunlight and other enviromental conditions that may cause a plant to go more "waxy" or not... I just thought i'd mention that since im talking PC and since I have so many of them lol

Hi Tizoc, i deleted your post because discussion about Activity, Potency and Ingestion is not allowed here. bye Eg

sorry this took me so long Tizco

heres the plant i thought looked similar. it actually looked more like yours when it was younger, but i can still see similarirites

Indeed it does and from what I herd and seen its a natural slight hybrid pachanoi monstrose. Thanks alot. I also think it looks

very similar to nitrogens t peruvianis monstrose. My main question was if it was a clone from south America or a pachnot clone. So I guess its safe to assume that its Real deal pachanoi more or less. Thanks everyone who participated in this id. And by the way I seen some like mine beeing sold on ebay by joes cactis mart.

• Like 1

thanks to all that helped me... and the stump of this pach intermediate as im willing to call it had thrown 5 pups...and look very beautifull will post pics when I have a chance