The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Shamanistic

How many times can you divide a psychotria leaf for cuttings?

Hey all,

I've done a few successful psychotria leaf cuttings before but have only ever cut them in half. I was thinking that it might work if I divide the leaf into 3rds (perhaps even 4ths) for even more sprouts, anyone have any experience with that? I mean as long as the leaf is in the right orientation I think it should work. Also has anyone rooted psychotria leaves in soil because I've only ever tried in moist paper towel and water. I'd say it might be a go-er but I don't want to waste any leaves :lol:

Thanks heaps!

I've done 3rds and 4ths, worked fine. You just don't want the segments so small that the leaf has insufficient exposed surface area for transpiration and photosynthesis. Remember that you are relying on that small piece of leaf to sustain life while it throws out roots and shoots. A seed or stem or root piece would have much greater reserves of sugar. All you have is a tiny piece of leaf.

And soil or potting soil works fine too.

All one needs is patience lol.

Alright sweet thanks heaps for the heads up man. The leaves I'm cloning off are fairly big that if I cut it into 1/4 it would be roughly the size of ones I had done before but I just wasn't sure if there was another factor which would complicate things. Tell me about it, it's probably the biggest lesson plants have taught me so far. The last viridis leaf cuttings I made took 6-8 months to grow new shoots but they were looking alive and well so I knew that they'd shoot eventually. Also my caapi has taken best part of a year and a half to start growing properly, patience paid off when I got the joy of seeing it starting to grow :)

if cuttings take such a long time to establish, than the conditions where not ideal, this time, try to expose the cuttings to, more heat, friable potting mix (seed raising mix), and a humidety dome.

paper towel methode will work, but is not ideal.

if you want to avoid soil, just cut a softdrink bottle's top third off, put sphagnum moss inside and imbedde the leaves a bit into it, than put the cut off top back on, and wait, AND WATCH. make sure it's airtight, if not re water once in a while.

i like this methode because, i see the progress...

Edited by planthelper
  • Like 1

i only use about half a leaf and do it in paper towel with a clip seal bag and throw it in a warm place, by using half a leaf you can bury the bottom half with the roots and still see the top and can tell if its going to rot or not, which mine have alot of the time

Thanks for the advice guys, it is very much appreciated :) I went ahead and cut some leaves into 3rds and some into 4ths and then put them into trays and some I'm doing a water rooting because all my others have been successful this way.

Planthelper,

Yes you are right, my viridis leaf cuttings weren't in ideal conditions and I believe that mainly was to do with the heat as it was nice and humid in there. These ones will be kept at a nice temperature. Most other times I've just done Psychotria Nexus leaf cuttings and they've sprouted in the same conditions but we all know that Viridis prefers a more stringent climate, much to the dismay of the members who aren't further in the tropics :lol:

Edit: By the way it's Psychotria Nexus that I'm making leaf cuttings of in case anyone was curious.

Edited by Shamanistic

nexus are very hardy lil things :wink:

I always did mine in 3 or 4 segments, depending on how big the leaf is.

They seemed to root much better mid summer than any other time of year down here for me. If there's one thing viridis doesn't like it's cold temps. A viridis outside at my place in winter is a bit like dropping a tropical fish in a bucket of iced water. Their cold sensitivity is reflected in propagation success rates so make sure they never get a chill into them.

edit : I've replanted viridis leaf sections in a soil-less mix after I harvested their first batch of plantlets and they grew roots and a few plantlets, not as many as the first batch but it worked. I think it's more about providing an aerobic, warm, humid environment (after they have roots) than what they are growing in.

Edited by SallyD

I've heard it said you can snap the centre vein of the leaf every 1-2cm or so and get an offshoot at each point, although I haven't had any luck with that method myself.

Why not just do the experiment? Try 5mm, 10mm, 20mm and 30mm lengths of leaf, and see how far you can push it successfully?

endor, everything under 40mm long will not be very good, as alice explained in #4.

the harmonica fold methode, can't be entirely compared with 10mm or larger segments, because it's still one big leaf, with many veins intact.

i don't say small leaf segments will not work, but it's not ideal.

for example quite often, specialy if you are a newbie, the leaves will shrivel and get dry at the ends, and if that happens with a 20mm segment, nothing will be left green, but a 50mm segment will still stay green partly and will strike.

small cuttings, of many plants will produce aswell, smaller initial roots, and it's likely the same happens with leaf cuttings. a nice size leaf, will establish a good size plant faster.

better to aim only for 4 cuttings, which will make it, than to aim for 8 and none will survive.

• Like 1

There are a number of ways that would work....

What I do, is to fold the leaf and snap the center vein in three places.

Then dip in rooting hormone where snapped, and at the end if the stem.

Then, I fold it over, place it in the little planter sideways,

adding coco coir to cover each section snapped.

I bury the leaf a bit over halfway, maybe two thirds, sideways/ longways horizontal.

Then place in a clear ziplock bag, and put on a heat mat.

Works pretty well.

My philosophy here is:

The leaf is in one piece, but yet still connected....so transpiration and photosynthesis is done as a whole leaf....

It seems to work ok.

I am going to cut a leaf into thirds, and place in home made TC medium (agar, coconut milk, inositol, a vitamin, sugar etc)

Just to see what it does.

Currently I am experimenting to see what Psychotria Poeppigiana will do, as far as propagating from leaf cuttings the regular way.

I grow these for collectible and ornamental use only, of course!

Poeppigiana has a lovely flower, that looks like big red lips!

Edited by shonman