The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
CβL

Growing tip of cacti - have a smell?

So I've noticed this a few times now, but I just remembered to make a topic. Basically, on many of my Trichocereus - at the growing tip, I smell - and I smell a strange scent. It's almost lemon-like, but not. It smells like a cleaning product, or a chemical smell (but there's no chemicals applied to my plants). I'm wondering if anyone else has smelled this smell?

It could be related to plants that are running out of water, or perhaps the commercial soil mix has an additive that's rising off the skin.

It seems to be that the plants that have slightly yellow growing tips (from the harsh sun) have the smell the strongest, while those that are not really actively growing - don't make the smell.

So - have a sniff of your cacti - and report back. :) (don't get stabbed in the nose)

• Like 3

I have sniffed many things but never a cactus tip but you have piqued my interest!

According to my wife I have an acute sense of smell so will run around the garden after work sniffing all and sundry and shall report back! :P

Getafix

Edited by Getafix
  • Like 2

Mmm well my Trichs failed the sniff test, cannot detect any scent at all.

Maybe the soil type, fertiliser being used??

getafix

If it was bacteria or fungi, they would have to be getting that chemical compound into the cactus - as the smell is extremely faint. I have to use my strongest sense of smell less than an inch from the tip. It's not directly from the soil, or in the air.

Now that I think about it, the smell reminds me a lot of citronella. I can't rule out that it's not present in the commercial mix, and somehow it's now coming out of the cactus.

Edited by CβL

You haven't sprayed it with neem by any chance? I love the lingering smell of that stuff, it can last quite a few weeks.

No-one has sprayed anything. :P
There could be neem granules in the commercial mix - again can't rule it out (probably more likely than citronella). I just checked now, and the smell is still comin' out.

You know the smell could be a colony of ants close by. Sounds bizarre, but they do emit a smell at times.