The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Benzito

Kava in aus(in tablet form)?

Hey everyone long time no see,

I was visiting one of those big 'warehouse' style pharmacists just half an hour ago and I got really excited by something I saw on the shelf.

I was a big fan of Kava before the import/sale of it was prohibited in Aus. I used to buy at least 1kg/month from my local fijian foods store. Back then my partner had some anxiety issues too(thankfully she has moved past that now) so she was also a big fan, it's much milder and safer than the benzodiazapenes doctors were trying to throw at her.

Anyways, browsing the shelves at the pharmacy waiting for them to fill my script I spied Kava tablets! Wtf? The pharmaceutical companies are basically the reason it got controlled here, but they are allowed to go on merrily selling it? I'm slightly offended by that but I won't lie, I am currently sipping on a beer and enjoying an awesome sense of relaxation as 2 of those tablets get to work on my GABA system. :wink:

According to the bottle it's a water extraction with each tablet containing the equiv. of 2.4g of rhizome(no aerial parts this time!) which has 60mg of Kavalactones. That's not much Kava and at the price they were, I don't plan on getting the levels of relaxation/intoxication I used to aim for when I was buying root powder by the kilo for $30. But I am loving that taste at the back of my throat. Kava I missed you.

(Sorry if this is old news but as you can all tell, I'm back on the scene, and have alot of catching up to do with ethnobotanical subjects.)

i dont know, those tablets or kava in general doesnt do much for me.. dont know why.

the instant klin kava just gave me a racing heart and not in a good way, more of an anxious state than a relaxed one.

the tablets seemed to have little to no effect on me after i had tried them a couple of times.

yeah, kava never done anything for me too. maybe if a based it with burned shells or something might be ok.

yeah i have tried tha thompsons brand as a nervine, dont know if did anythng but i wasnt after a dizzy spell followed by a sit down 4 1 hour just tring to chill my stressed nerves hahaa i do take oral kava kava powder but i rather blue lotus/lily extract to chill

• Like 1

What brand? Would be mad keen to get a hold of some....

thompsons from chemist warehouse

i have no probz getting kava from overseas?!?!?!!!!!! :innocent_n:

Whoah, there's a chap I haven't seen in a long time.

I think those Thompson's kava tablets are pretty good. I notice effects from two tablets, and three is very nice. Sure, you get a stronger effect from a few glasses of actual kava, but we don't have that much choice these days, do we?

So a couple of bucks for some mild kava relation is pretty good in my books.

And welcome back Benzito :)

Kava is awesome ! I love the hawaiians varieties and fijian waka, i am sure it's a cure for many things !

By the way, drinking alcool with kava is, at the best of our present knowledge, not considered safe.

Thanks for the warm welcome back guys. I've really missed this community but I've had some addiction problems for a fair few years now and just been massively closed-off.

It is 'Thompson's' from chem. warehouse. I wasn't sure about mentioning sources, I've been away for so long I didn't know if the rules had changed.

Kava always seemed to be one of those things you need to "break your head" with before you get the dosages/effects right.(I think that expression refers to DMT, but meh) None of my stoner buddies ever liked it when I was using it regularly, I could never convince them it was worth trying more than once or twice. But once you get a feel for it, it is a beautiful sedative/hypnotic.

I took a third pill tonight, and after a few more beers I am so much more mellow than I was off the same amount of beer last night.

Maybe some people don't metabolise Kavalactones properly?

I'm interested in what you said Bullit. Would you mind sending me a PM with more details? I don't think that kind of stuff needs to be openly discussed on here.

edit: Mauve; if 6 beers and some Kava is the worst abuse my liver gets tonight, it's had an easy time compared to other periods in my life. I've always mixed the two. Plus, I don't think they have an alcohol warning on the bottle anyway.

Edited by Benzito

I've never had a strong effect from those tablets, even in large doses.
Seems like they're the only OTC kava product legally available in Aus. Anything else = schedule 4 prescription only, though for some reason you're still allowed to bring a certain amount into the country (in person), and I have seen places selling kava drinks (but haven't checked recently). The whole situation is ridiculous.

• Like 2

I agree Pinion. With all the cheap airfare going around these days I am so tempted to just go for a 1 day holiday to Fiji just to buy 2kg of Kava;

Fly in in the morning, buy Kava at lunchtime, fly home in the evening. :lol:

Edited by Benzito
  • Like 1

I agree Pinion. With all the cheap airfare going around these days I am so tempted to just go for a 1 day holiday to Fiji just to buy 2kg of Kava;

Fly in in the morning, buy Kava at lunchtime, fly home in the evening. :lol:

you are motivating me to try the same, but i would go to vanuatu, because there grog is said to be the best.

one would have to try to buy the best quality stuff, and this material would not be very easy to find.

the best quality, are thinn roots.

a better methode than fly in and out would be to, connect with fijians or any polynisisan, and ask them to bring some for you, when they travell to oz. i'm sure they would like the financial benefits.

I'm heading to fiji in a month and am really excited about drinking Kava - I've only had it once and my mouth went numb, and I felt great. I heard i can bring back 2kg's - someone else said 2.5kg's per person. Kava - Yum... any other good ethno's to look out for in fiji? Haven't heard of or tried the pills though, and probalby won't

i meet two fijian brothers[fruit pickers] @ work last week and i hit them up bout kava kava :wink: they love the shit and they have more family coming to oz soon sooooo fingers crossed

There is lots of discussion on how, when and why this situation rose in the legal forum.