The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
JCMMa

Salvia divinorum cutting without leaves

Hello everyone. I've got a cutting of Salvia divinorum but I've never seen of anyone rooting and growing Salvia from an non-leaf cutting... So I want to ask if any one had made that.

My cutting doesn't have leaves neither roots... ¿Will he make it?

Edited by planthelper
added tag

Maybe.

If there is any nodes on the stem you may be able to get some lateral shoots to develop from those. Unless they've shooted from the nodes before and already have been broken off or damaged. ( maybe they'll still grow, not too sure )

Either way put it in a glass or jar of water in a warm spot ( but not too sunny ) and leave it for two weeks and it should root easy enough. Just remember when you put the stem in the water make sure you put the right end into the water. You can tell this by looking on the nodes and there should be some indents where the leaves used to come out of and the indents should point slightly upward.

Good luck.

Edited by Nemisty

yes, it will work, but don't use, the glass of water methode, this methode can work, but is not as efficient as, sticking the cutting, into probagation mix., and using a dome.

those leave less cuttings are very slow to establish themselves though.

if you look for a methode closer to the glass of water tek, just take medium sized zippy bag, and fill halve with sphagnum moss, than add cutting, and close the bag and wait.

Edited by planthelper
  • Like 1

I had a bunch of cuttings get too hot, dropped all their leaves but then quickly grew new ones..
But also im sending some soon to someone with more experience than myself whose totally cool with logs

what I was recommended is lay them horizontally on the soil and create a humidity dome over the pot
though so far i've only done a few vertically in soil and bunch in rockwool
I like the way planthelper said it too, which sounds like practically the same thing

and "She" btw...
"Hojas de la Pastora" B)

Edited by Spine Collector

divinorum, is the only plant i can think of, right now which will form roots, even above the nodes, and basicly from everywhere.

aswell if you take cuttings, of any plants, most of the time, some parts of the stem, will fail to form roots,

and those are the very soft, very young growth, and the very old parts of the stem.

but sally, strikes even from old and fresh growth.

i believe, sally "learned" how to do this because, of the need for survival, because it hardly ever, probagates via sexuall means.

spine collector, yes, good idea, to put them horizontally and rockwool, rocks (i even have used the rockwool found, dumped at building sites, it's just as good as the very, very expensive cubes).

• Like 2

another thing I did was spray mine down with a kelp solution but then again I spray just about everything down with kelp...
When in humidity the stems put off root buds all over the place, even well above the rockwool or soil in the air, but kelp probably wasn't necessary for that

and I agree, from everything i've read, most wild propagation of sally is alot like cacti... in fact I read that the stems that break off natrually tend to root easier than those taken off

im pretty sure its in the mint family, and mints will root like that too except they don't drop pieces off like that...
I wonder about coleus

Edited by Spine Collector

That sounds good then...

I have the cutting in a mix of peat moss vertically and it has a week there... I wonder when is it going to throw shoots... it is like 8 inches long... It is looking good 'cause the green isn't turning black and stuff... But it has no shoots!! haha

8 inches, is very long, 3 inches (3 nodes) would be roughly my choice, but sometimes the internodes can get, very long with sally, so you probably have a good reason, for such a large cutting.

as a general rule though, larger cuttings, will form larger rootmass compared to smaller cutting, in the same given time.

however larger cuttings, are at times more difficult to establish, and wilt easier than smaller cuttings.

when taking cuttings, for most of the plants, i try to make the cutting, look as close as possible, like a small (seedling) established plant (think the golden rule).

Yeah... my vendor sent me a mid steam cutting that's why it's 8 inches, has 3 nodes.

So I'm hoping that it will work... but I always have the doubt. But I'm a little bit calm now with the comments... haha

How is the cutting going now JCMMa? I had many Sally cuttings lose all their leaves in the past when they were still legal. The leaves would die off after removing them from the mother plant, but they would start growing new leaves not too long after roots started developing. As long as it was nice and healthy before taking the cutting it should be fine. The stored nutrients should get it through without photosynthesis.

I wish we could still grow them here in Aus. :(

At this time, it doesn't have any signal of new leaves but it is green and alive. Tomorrow it will have 2 weeks since I potted it. It's matter of time, I think... Maybe in another 2 weeks it will start to grow the new leaves.

¿What do you think?

Hey guys, I've just looked the bottom nod of my cutting and it has made roots but there's something I don't like very much... Since the vendor sent me an non-leaf cutting to be sure that it would make it through, the parts where the actual leaves were, were dry but the upper part of the nods were green. The past day I noticed that the upper part of the nod is drying but today I've looked the healthy roots... The question is if no mater that the upper part of the nods, were the new shoots grow, is dry, the new shoots will be growing anyways? And the other question is if it can grow shoots in any other part rather than the nods?

The truth is that only the upper nod is drying. The other nod that is almost near the soil, is upper part is still green. And the last nod is buried and with healthy white roots.

what? you had to pay money for such a cutting?

that trader is a scumbag, and sold you crap, get a replacement, and a propper tip cutting instead.

the trader will say, i never had problems with leave less cuttings, but imo, they are not very good, specialy if they are so long as yours.

tip cutting, have a almost 100% strike rate.

cuttings without leaves, but short and 3 nodes, and some small shoots around the nodes, have a 70% chance of striking.

cuttings like yours, 20% chance.

if the area around the node is still green, you are in with a chance, even if you can hardly see any, shoots arising.

because sally can even reshoot from the smallest, and basicly invisible shoots.

Edited by planthelper

good point d00da, and i second you.

but just to make sure for the, "not so carefull readers" the person in the centre of this topic, lives in a state where salvia divinorum is legal!!

paying for a bare cutting, is ok but for a crap cutting with a 20% chance of doing it is not.

maybe the vendor wants to milk again, i hope sally does teach him a lesson he/she never forgets, hehehe. :)

• Like 1

I live behind Mexico and, trust me, I looked for every possibility to get the best but the only vendor who agreed in sending me a cutting was this one from Mexico. In my country there's no nursery or spot with Salvia divinorum... No one knows about it, believe it or not... :( He told me that a fresh cutting wouldn't make it via mail, that is the only way to send me the cutting, so what could I do? This was the only person who sold me a cutting! haha

If some wants to help me, sell me a good cutting then haha I would be very pleased with you...

Do you think it is going to survive if it has already good roots? or it still has possibilities of die?

roots are a very good sign, and yours has a good chance to make it.

but it's not unusual for a plant (in general, not only salvia) to have good roots and still to die.

ask him for a shorter cutting in case yours doesn't make it, and one with some nice green small laterals.

a tip cutting with all leaves removed apart from the smaller ones at the tip, would be aswell have been much better.

just give it more time, somebody hopefully will help you out, and you can fullfill your dream.

once you got her established, take more cuttings, so in case something goes wrong, with one you have the others.

if you live a bit higher up, in the mountains (but i'm not familiar with guatemala) were the climat is more balanced, than you might even get her to set seed, and you become a nohas ark for this in the wild, endangered plant. :)

i suggest you start a topic at our seed and plant exchange forum, asking for this plant.

aswell search this site, regarding sally.

thanks Planthelper. Yes, I live in the mountains like at 1700m. It is a forest with some humidity in the area... And what you are saying is what I want to do! haha

I'm actually studying natural and traditional medicine and this plant has some interesting properties, and I'm not talking of the ritual use. For example, if you have pain in a joint, if you bath with S.d. water then the next day you will not have pain. There are many uses for it, the mazatec indians say...

And yes, I will do that. Now I have Banisteriopsis caapi cuttings and some Tetrapterys spp. seeds. I've seen that many people is seeking for Tetrapterys.

If I have success with the cutting I will post some pics, although I've read that sometimes even when the cutting has turned black and dry it still have chances of living because it grows some shoots from the ground... So it's only matter of time.

• Like 1

Finally it's dead haha I guess I don't have hope will Sally...