The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
QuantumReality

Lophophora pollination

Hello, I have a quick question here I need some help with.
I have just taken some pollen from my L.Willy on the end of a cotton tip, and was wondering what would be the best way to store it to prolong its viability?
Ive got it in a baggy in my fridge atm.

TIA :)

QR

Keep it dry. Humidity is the number one viability killer. This may sound weird but Temperatures less imporant than the humidity. Maybe put in a few silica gel bags to prolong the Viability. That being said, its not a very effective way to use q-tips. I did it for a while but the chance of a successful pollination is higher if you collect the falling pollen with a glass or so. Btw, most Lophs are self fertile and dont need a sex partner.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 2

Ok thanks for that info mate.
How would you suggest I catch the falling pollen? eg. Remove the flower? Or rip out the guts with some tweezers?..
Also the reason im collecting pollen from one of my variants is because the seed production is poor right now, maybe averaging about 3-5 seeds per fruit.
I just want to up it a bit and figured id give this a go once another flower pops up.

TIA :)

QR

Edited by Quantum_Reality

Yeah, maybe try placing the Loph a bit sideways and putting a glass or a petry dish below the flower. Lophs dont produce a lot of pollen so you might as well just cut of the stamens that carry the pollen and put em in a Pergamine Bag. You know, butterbreadpaper. Its a special paper that allows humidity to get out. If you put fresh stamens in a ziplock bag, they wont be viable for long.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 1