The Corroboree
toast

Whats new at Wandjina Gardens

Are the lophs caespitose ? By the looks of them they are.

I really think as a community we should be using the correct nomenclature for trichocereus species. For obvious reasons.

Whats nomenclature?

Some people don't wish to use the correct nomenclature. For obvious reasons.

Well whitewind with the way laws are going it might be a smart idea, I'm no genius but yeah.. Trichocereus may become a buzzword that the peeps in charge of enforcing these things may look for. As at as I know trichocereus went out the window quite a few years ago in regards to cacti nomenclature - bf nomenclature basically is the naming of cacti. I.e trichocereus bridgesii was scrapped for exhinopsis lageniformis. Echinopsis covers a large group of both active and non active cacti so as far as I can see it would e beneficial reverting to the true nomenclature for cacti. I personally am gonna do it.

• Like 1

I see. Sounds like a plan.

Hey toast I know it's a little late to try now but a while back I got spiked by a cacti as well. I found rubbing the flesh around where I was spiked to be incredibly effective in helping to reduce the pain and it didn't end up getting infected. Before trying this I'd been spiked previously and had a sore hand for a week. Something to keep in mind next time.

• Like 1

"Oh mum a cactus spiked me." ;)

I remember my weirdest hand spiking was doing your job toast, was repotting a fukload I bridgesii wen all of a sudden my right hand went dead, literally. I couldn't feel it anymore and it was just floppin. Weird I though and saw a huge spine penetrating that gap between thumb and forefinger, it had gone in DEEP and had obviously hit some nerve that was involved in hand movement lol. Was no pain at all, so I pulled it out, near two inches long and hyperdermic sharp. The whole process didn't hurt at all, though my hand felt "funny" for a couple of days. Was weird the whole "dead hand" thing.

Best part of getting spines by a cactus is popping them out days and Weekes later after pus and pressure has done its thing. On par with an orgasm I reckon.

Edited by incognito
  • Like 2

Th williamsii are the "caespitose" var?

caespitosa is not a recognised variety. It is sunk into the species. ie it is impossible to breed for true caespitose plants as they are just random results of chromosome recombination within the species.

some of the plants we source are grown from pups taken from caespitose individuals, while others are grown from seed. The seed grown ones have about a 10% chance of becoming caespitose. Most of the larger plants are pup grown and hence caespitose themselves.

• Like 3

So these "caespitose" seeds I've been purchasing are bunk?? I thought the caespitose var was a given?? If I where asked I'd say those $200 lophs where caespitose var, and ill add they are wry well priced indeed!! You are EXTREMELY fair with your pricing Torsten, one could NEVER say your in the ethno plant game for the coin. Big ups to you :)

I would not be disheartened yet incog. There are a lot of opinions out there about L.willi var caespitose, I believe a lot of different cacti can have this trait of pupping & get called caespitose but we have to look at what causes this, for example grafting, growing conditions or just a freak one off out of hundreds BUT if you see a proper L.w var caespitose they are defiantly a different variety than your normal willies. I know a lot of people will disagree but I have grown lots of Lopho's from seed & all of my caespitose seed are pupping at 3mm & none of the other have ever pupped at this size. I will start a new thread about this as not to interrupt this one.

Cheers

Jox

"Oh mum a cactus spiked me." ;)

I remember my weirdest hand spiking was doing your job toast, was repotting a fukload I bridgesii wen all of a sudden my right hand went dead, literally. I couldn't feel it anymore and it was just floppin. Weird I though and saw a huge spine penetrating that gap between thumb and forefinger, it had gone in DEEP and had obviously hit some nerve that was involved in hand movement lol. Was no pain at all, so I pulled it out, near two inches long and hyperdermic sharp. The whole process didn't hurt at all, though my hand felt "funny" for a couple of days. Was weird the whole "dead hand" thing

Yeoowch, Incog, theres a pretty major pressure point (called ''Hegu'' by the chinese) in there between your finger and thumb which is supposedly connected to many other parts of your body, and applying pressure there can be used theraputically to heal other areas.

It is the most widely known pressure point, most people use it to treat headaches and the chinese believe it correlates to substanially more body parts than any other pressure point.

I wonder if having a cactus spine stuck in it might have actually been beneficial in someway :)

I got one in the knuckle once and it puffed up 3x the normal size, went blue and so numb instantly that i didnt even notice until i realised i could bend my finger and saw the 5cm spike protruding from my finger. Yucky.

I have also seen seed grown "caespitosa" throw pups at a very young age, with 'single headed' varieties growing in the same conditions having no pups.

Well I well and truly impaled my hegu like a worm on a hook! Result- hand no longer exists to brain lol

4 real? Freaky!

Incog that is a pretty full on story. Seems like the cactus like to strike back from time to time.

I have listed a few new plants recently including:

Artemisia princeps (Japanese Mugwort) Plant. The leaves of this species can be eaten raw or cooked. Also, it is one of the varieties of mugwort used as moxa in Moxibustion, a traditional medical practice throughout much of Asia.

Mentha spicata 'Kentucky Colonel' Plant. Leaves of this mint have a characteristic spearmint flavor and taste, although it is quite sweet and has been compared to eating candy.

Several Salvia species including Salvia guaranitica 'Black Knight' Plant, Salvia spires 'purple' Plant and Salvia sp. (sky blue flower) Plant

Phalaris aquatica 'AQ1'

Echinopsis peruviana 'San Pedro de Pasco' Large Plant

Several extra large cacti including Echinopsis peruviana 'Cactus Garage', Echinopsis pachanoi 'KK2150' and Echinopsis uyupampensis 'KK341'. Please note that due to the length of these cacti (>40cm) they are to be shipped via parcel post only.

B)

A bunch of interesting species have been flowering at Wandjina recently so I thought I'd post a few photos.

post-902-0-33556400-1371254866_thumb.jpg

Banisteriopsis caapi just starting to flower.

post-902-0-97420900-1371254515_thumb.jpg

A large Bixa orellana, also known as Lipstick Plant, whose seedpods produce a brilliant red dye that is traditionally used in the Amazon as a face paint and as a food dye in recent times.

post-902-0-75691800-1371254264_thumb.jpg

Coleus cannis is also known as Piss Off Plant because many dogs and cats don't like the smell of this plant so it has gained a reputation of keeping the neighbours pets out of your garden.

post-902-0-99511900-1371249292_thumb.jpg post-902-0-47412400-1371249322_thumb.jpg

Mandragora officinarum, also known as Mandrake, is a well known tropane alkaloid containing Solanaceae. Their tap root occasionally resembles human figures, and has historically been used in magical rituals. Hopefully it sets seed.

post-902-0-44738200-1371249921_thumb.jpg

Maytenus senegalensis, also known as Spike Thorn, is an African shrub that has been used in traditional medicine for infectious and inflammatory diseases treatment. It is known to contain ephedrine and norephedrine, according to this paper. We will have a few seedling of this species available next year.

post-902-0-77890700-1371248923_thumb.jpg

Nicotiana quadrivalvis, also known as Indian Tobacco, was popular among natives of the west coast of North America, in particular southern Oregon, northern California and along the middle Columbia River. We are hoping to have this species for sale next year.

post-902-0-07959400-1371251287_thumb.jpg

Salvia coccinea, also known as Blood Sage or Scarlet Sage, this species is known to be a butterfly attractant. Recent psychonautical research has found this species to be mildly active.

post-902-0-44366100-1371253450_thumb.jpg

Salvia splendens 'Sizzler Purple', also known as Scarlet Sage, is widely used in Indian traditional medicine for the control of diabetes mellitus. Recent psychonautical research has found this species to be mildly active.

post-902-0-56618300-1371252794_thumb.jpg

Silene dioca, also known as Red Champion, has roots that contain saponins and have traditionally been used as a soap substitute for washing clothes after simmering the root in hot water. It has also been associated with snakes, devils, goblins and death in European folklore, and in some places it was believed that picking it would cause your parents death!

Also, I recently listed Crinum mauritianum on the webstore, a Swamp Lily endemic to the island of Mauritius where it is rare due to habitat loss and degradation. It has successfully used in the treatment of inflammation and contains high levels of secondary compounds such as flavonoids, phenols and proanthocyanidins, which are thought to reduce the incidence of diseases associated with high levels of free radicals in the body.

TabQuad.JPG

mandrake.JPG

mandrakeA.JPG

Maytenus.JPG

SalviaCoccinea.JPG

SileneDioica.JPG

SSplendinsPurple.JPG

ColeusCannis.JPG

Bixa.JPG

vine.JPG

TabQuad.JPG

mandrake.JPG

mandrakeA.JPG

Maytenus.JPG

SalviaCoccinea.JPG

SileneDioica.JPG

SSplendinsPurple.JPG

ColeusCannis.JPG

Bixa.JPG

vine.JPG

• Like 9

oi toast , will u have any mandrake plants to sell??

oi toast , will u have any mandrake plants to sell??

Oi bullit, we will hopefully have some mandrake for sale next year.

Depends of the amount of seeds set & their viability :wink:

• Like 3

Oi toast can i be in 3rd posy please? Should grow

Well here :)

Edited by incognito
  • Like 1

awesum :devil:

No worries guys :wink:

If we had the correct PPE we would just propagate the mandrake from the taproot.

Have also added Pycnanthemum muticum, Short-toothed Mountain Mint. This species is a member of the mint family, Lamiaceae, and is very pungently scented. It makes a tasty herbal tea and can be used in cooking as a mint substitute.

• Like 2

edit: double post.

Oi!

Edited by toast

Oi toast....

Give an austrayan cunt a fucken mandrake cunt

Keen as cunt

- loosest forum guy ever

Edited by incognito
  • Like 1