The Corroboree
Thegribbs

Extreme Heat

I think the past few days have really slowed down myc growth in some jars. They were kept in a cool cupboard but the ambient temperature was just too great. Hopefully they come back.

I head somebody talking about growing cubes in NSW. The heat got over 44* for a day and halted all pinning, turning the caps a dark dark brown. The fruits that were about half way through maturing had twisted hollow stems stems. I hope for his sake they recover!

Funny how most people are waiting for temps to get up, or stressing about low temps.

Is anybody else have any problems with the heat this summer?

I do all my myco work in the spare room which isn't air conditioned, and haven't been having any problems at all. Mycelium is loving it and colonising quite quickly.

Tubs are fruiting nicely. This includes one tub in the front sun room where i keep my heated reptile enclosures..

No complaints from me. The main thing I've been doing is fanning quite a bit to keep the air in tubs from going too stale.

I know higher temps (depending on the species) can encourage contamination in colonising jars, but I've been inoculating with liquid culture which might help speed things up

and give the mycelium a foothold over any nasties. I've found my jars to be colonising fine, and recovering heaps quickly after shaking.

Edited by SYNeR

my oyster's are ok and my shitake is doing fine but the rest is CONTAMINATED

im just going to wait till it cool's down. im getting a lot of trich mold in my casing layer's

its just to hot for the little fellas

Yeah I tried my first bulk substrate using manure, coir and straw. No mold in sight but got a smelly bacterial infection :(

LC helped out with the colonisation rate at first, but now things have really slowed down.

Those pins could have started growing again, albeit slowly.

I find if the weather is consistently hot, like weeks at a time the myc bags & spawn jars just crash.

I'll probably wait till easter till i do much more myco work.

• Like 1

I'm curious.. Those of you having contam problems -- what's your sterile technique like?

I do the following:

1) run HEPA filter in room for around 24 hours before I work

2) Spray Oust and wait for it to settle

3) Wash hands and lower arms

4) Put on gloves and wipe down again with Isopropyl alcohol

5) Work in a glove box

I haven't had any contam problems yet?

its not really making spawn for me but pasteurising substrates are getting trich mould and

the casing layers are getting trich mould and once it starts its to late as it is all down hill

from there , i was using the shot gun boxes and growing portabello's

edit i have a puk witch i made from cardboard and it is colonised with blue oyster

and it is fighting of the mold on some fronts but losing the battle on others

Edited by bigred82