The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Stillman

Lotus plant Nelumbo sp

i had been thinking about growing some of these myself,

I had a crack at growing lotus last summer. The seeds germinated no worries and they were growing quick, but soon withered away to mush as the Melbourne winter set in. Your from Melbourne too Scarecrow, so don't be too disappointed if you don't have success in growing these water beauties.

I absolutely love the Lotus flower and leaves, so i will continue to try to grow them (in my sunroom) ...even if i have to move up north...I WILL grow lotus one day. :) . Maybe for now, i will have to be satisfied with nasturtium, lol.

Looking forward to seeing your pics Stillman.

not flash pics but you can see they are starting to wake up

DSCF2054_zps74754f2a.jpg

First flower wrong time of year and everything?? lol

DSCF2052_zpsd1892605.jpg

• Like 8

Beautiful pictures Stillman :) You're an artist! Would you consider them very difficult to grow? I have such an affinity for the Lotus and their Egyptian namesakes, but despite how much I wish it wasn't true, I have more of a black thumb than a green one. Every plant I touch seems to die! I'd love to grow some but if it's a delicate and difficult thing to do, it might not be the best idea.

If your climate is willing they will grow, I really haven't done much to these, all are seed grown. My containers are a bit small so not sure how they will go when they really start to pump. Just do a bit of research, seeds are cheap follow some of the online how to grows and you won't have a problem with these.

Edited by Stillman

I have recently read that if a lotus plant is established enough, that is has developed tubers, then in will go dormant over winter. As long as the tubers don't freeze, it will take off again come warmer weather. So there is hope for me yet. I just got some more lotus seed, and am going to have another crack, i just need to get some good growth on them before winter.

Thanks for the inspiration Stillman. How are your flowers going?

that flower ended up aborting but the plant are pumping along now, plenty of leaves in the air so hopefully flowers next month or early next year.

This one looks like it will open, same plant. Hopefully it will be open by tomorrow.

DSCF2784_zps7f20e9fe.jpg

DSCF2785_zps39300f9c.jpg

• Like 6

Holy shit, you are one crazy mofo Stillman! That garden of yours is wild! You should make a thread showcasing everything you've got.

I have recently read that if a lotus plant is established enough, that is has developed tubers, then in will go dormant over winter. As long as the tubers don't freeze, it will take off again come warmer weather. So there is hope for me yet. I just got some more lotus seed, and am going to have another crack, i just need to get some good growth on them before winter.

Thanks for the inspiration Stillman. How are your flowers going?

Its all about the genetics Amz. The ones with more lutea in their parentage are very cold hardy, as long as they dont freeze solid. While some of the more tropical nucifera clones are VERY sensitive.

From what ive read lately most of the varieties coming out in the past 10 years or so mostly have cold tolerant chinese nucifera parentage.

Including the ones derived from the gobi desert line, they are mucho cool :)

• Like 3

A little bit of everything here Tripsis lol.

DSCF2801_zps975c90ea.jpg

DSCF2798_zpsa3dd3fcc.jpg

DSCF2797_zps59897708.jpg

• Like 2

not sure why that photo came out sideways?

see how it has malformed petals? I think this seed was supposed to be the "rose" flowered type, obviously not particularly stable gene. Really vigorous plant but is pushing another two flowers while everything else is just growing leaves.

Are you on a regular suburban block?

yeah but the back 3rd is mine to mess around with.

I'm not sure if these are self fertile, as I only have the one open I'll try and self it.

I agree, not sure what the neighbours think..

• Like 1

Do you get a lot of evaporation/transpiration going on Skillman?, like how often do you need to top up the buckets of water that contain the lotus plants?

Once a month or so, the rains been filling them this month.

I thought the leaves might divert the rain, like act as an umbrella and not much rain would make it into the bucket.

Your going to need bigger buckets soon, you know that, don't you :P

Edited by Amazonian
  • Like 1