The Corroboree
teonanacatl

The littlest Lophophora- L. alberto-vojtechii

This isn't really recent news but its great none the less. I did a search and couldn't see that anyone has posted it.

http://www.cactusconservation.org/CCI/library/2009_Snicer_TheLittlestLophophora.pdf

Part of the diffusae group of Lophophora this little bugger flowers at 1cm in diameter!!

Funny thing is years ago I grew a some lophs from seed and one flowered at 1cm when grafted, I thought it was weird...

Anyway Ill let you read the article!

• Like 4

pretty sure it has been posted already interesting article though

Edited by myco

Only ones I could find were amidst threads some what unrelated. This deserves its own thread I think.

Awsome !

Does anyone have one of theses or seeds?

There was some seeds around about a year ago but I stupidly decided not to buy them which I have regretted every time I look in my seed draw at all of the common willy seeds that I have.

I haven't seen any one post any thing about them being sown so they could be still out there in the depths of someones seed stash.

Tipz was the man but he did recently ask me if I bought any so I presumed he had sold all that he had.

Cheers

Got

• Like 1

i put 10 seed down a few weeks ago... we shall see what happens!

• Like 2

I have heard whispers that there will be more seeds arriving on our shores shortly. Ill let you know when they land GOT (edit- and Jox :) ).

Highly priced and rare little buggers. I cannot remember who it was i sold that lot onto ( texecana maybe ? :scratchhead: ).

I have 16 healthy little seedlings in my posession ;)

Edited by tipz
  • Like 3

I am pretty sure I remember them from Trouts talk at EGA, surely another reason as to why never miss an EGA!!! :P

Those amazing Czechs cactus conservationists and Koehres have been doing graft-stimulated seed production on Pereskiopsis beginning the year this was discovered. There are going to be a lot of these increasingly available out of their hands in the future.

The last time I saw his listings, a few weeks ago, Koehres was offering seed for this with lineages from several locales.

This past Spring I noticed a wild williamsii blooming on its own roots at 1.5 inch in diameter. It was one of Weniger's "echinata"s although that particular name really needs to go away and be replaced by something else lacking a history of confusion.

Edited by trucha
  • Like 1

This was my smallest flowering Loph, I wonder if it was a stray L. a-v?

Not sure what happened to this plant.

post-560-0-82825700-1357865997_thumb.jpg

0.8cm loph flowering.jpg

0.8cm loph flowering.jpg

• Like 1

Wow that is small :o

Can you remember if it was that a normal growing graft or was it stunted for some time before it flowered.

Cheers

Got

Not significantly smaller no. Just threw the flower out, the flower never opened though, grew to a size bigger then that then didnt open.

If its alberto-vojtechii it will form yellow fruit.

• Like 1

I was given a few alberto - v seeds (here at the forum), and ended up with 3 specimens, but only one of them shows dwarfism, the other two are already bigger (35mm after a short while), than most of my other loph grafts!

I conclude those seeds going around were not true albertos...

@Plant helper: Were these mine?

The ones that I have, have gotten quite big quite fast. It's been less than a month and they're around 2-3 mm each.

I bought 200 seeds not too long ago and have about 50 of them growing now and am going to plant more. They grow slower than williamsii, but not anything like A. riterii. Pretty nice steady speed.

@Plant helper: Were these mine?

The ones that I have, have gotten quite big quite fast. It's been less than a month and they're around 2-3 mm each.

no, they came from another member!

if yours as well, put on size quite fast, than they are probably not albertos...

I observed, over the years quite a few, miniature lophs (but not albertos) growing up, and the general rule is that dwarfs, are very slow in gaining size.

no, they came from another member!

if yours as well, put on size quite fast, than they are probably not albertos...

I observed, over the years quite a few, miniature lophs (but not albertos) growing up, and the general rule is that dwarfs, are very slow in gaining size.

Is this the case even with grafted plants?

yes, as well the grafts are slow to gain size, if they are dwarfs.

My alberto graft flowered when it was 3months old :) seeds came from same supplier as Sabry and Hostilis's seeds.

post-1330-0-01654000-1394604981_thumb.jp

post-1330-0-01654000-1394604981_thumb.jpg

post-1330-0-01654000-1394604981_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Iv also heard reports of ppls Alberto's flowering at a year old on own roots at about 1cm!

Mushyman is that loph only 3 months old like from seed? or 3 months into grafting

Oooh alright, yeah idk if the seeds were just awesome but they germinated faster and were bigger, quicker than any loph seeds i've grown (in the amount of time)